Bug Out Bag, Bug out to where?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think knowing when to get out is really important too. Stay aware of current events, and don’t wait until the roads are clogged or littered with cars that ran out of gas. I remember the hurricanes in Fla. where all the roads were parking lots. Pretty much if you didn’t leave early enough bugging in was the only option. Too many people can’t pack their stuff in under a few hours. Having a pre arranged bag with stuff you carefully thought about will cut your time down considerably.

Where you will bug out to is something you should really REALLY think about hard. Some of us have a BOL that we can go to, if we leave early enough. (as soon as I see the sh!t starting to move I'm not waiting for it to hit the fan) Of course anything could happen that prevents us from getting to the BOL right away and there should be places you can get to. I've got one surprisingly out of the way spot picked out in easy walking distance from my house. The ironic thing is that it is almost in the dead center of the city I live in, yet not an obvious spot at all, and not easy to get to. You'd have to see it on Google Maps to even know it was there.

There is a creek next to it with bream and bass.

I think knowing when to get out is really important too. Stay aware of current events, and don’t wait until the roads are clogged or littered with cars that ran out of gas. I remember the hurricanes in Fla. where all the roads were parking lots. Pretty much if you didn’t leave early enough bugging in was the only option. Too many people can’t pack their stuff in under a few hours. Having a pre arranged bag with stuff you carefully thought about will cut your time down considerably.
The only "clogged" roads that we have to deal with around here is from range cows, deer, elk or wild turkeys.

Thank you so much for all your answers. You've broadened my perspective from narrow to broad, and that has a lot of value. I appreciate you all. Expect more dumb questions. I am just starting at this, and have the burden of an unsupportive wife in this venture. (Wonderful wife, otherwise.)

H Rita

upload_2019-10-29_8-39-59.jpeg

I have a brother who lives on a farm about 45 miles away. He has a large windmill. He heats with propane, and has a propane gen set. He usually keeps the tank pretty full. He is on well and septic. We've discussed it, and my wife and I are welcome, as long as we bring our own food, and a firearm or two. I purchased my first rifle last week. But I am sure the house would be filled with his wifes' family. Maybe as many as thirty people, if Thanksgiving dinner is any indication. I can't possibly buy enough food to feed them all, and many will show up empty handed. My plan is to buy a grain grinder. Tens of thousands of bushels of corn and some wheat is available in grain elevators every direction you look. You can't live entirely off of corn meal, but maybe 85 to 90% will certainly keep you alive, supplemented with 10 to 15% occasional squirrel, rabbit, and tomato from the garden, among other things. I would leave the first day the lights went out, and I couldn't pick up any AM radio stations from any surrounding city on my cars radio. (my SHTF is national power failure). I could also picture a pandemic, but that will occur more slowly and allow a little time to prepare. I have just a couple miles of city to get through, then back country roads all the way there. I would never leave my house with just a bug out bag. I would pack both my vehicles with every bit of nonperishable food that I have, some clean clothes, bedding, firearms, other useful items. I would leave in the middle of the night on the day the lights went out, and could be at the farm in less than an hour. That is my plan. Plan B is to stay put.

@LiveTrap

Try to work out a plan with your brother ahead of time. What will you need to bring? Can you and he work out a deal to raise some rabbits and Guinea pigs on his farm --- split cost and meat. How about a shared garden? Sit back and look at the things you will need --- food, water and shelter. If your brothers place is going to be over crowded, then a small camper stored at your brothers place may be a good idea. Look at each problem, one at a time, then find a workable solution. NOTE: 45 miles on foot (hike to brother's place) is along walk, carrying supplies and weapons. You may want to have a few caches laid out on your route. JM2C

He and his wife raised a few exotic chickens just for fun, and for the colored eggs they produce, but the coyotes and mink got them, even though they were fenced in. He farms 1200 acres, and definitely would not want to mess with livestock of any kind. He is not really a prepper, he just has what he has because he lives out in the country, and I recognized it as a safe place to retreat. Campers, there is already four large fifth wheel campers and trailers in his enormous shed that he stores for his step children and children. This is no little hobby farm. This is a grain farm operation. I don't mind the number of people, as long as there are enough weapons for everyone, as that makes it more secure. But, they all have to be fed somehow. That is the challenge. A large garden is not the answer in the short term. A garden only produces in the summer and early fall. So............the plan is to eat lots of corn meal tortillas. My grain grinder makes me valuable to the group. Remember, I am the only prepper in a group of possibly 30. No way am I walking anywhere. If I can't get there in a vehicle, I'm staying in the city.

Urban Prep, yes, I can walk. I would not expose myself to the risk walking for three days with the weight of three or four days food and water, and a firearm. This highway clogged scenario won't happen where I live for a couple days, or possibly at all in my area. There are plenty of county roads to get out of town. Over a hundred. My city is not that large. I don't live in the Chicago area or any where near it.
Big Paul, grain. There are more cultures on earth that don't eat meat, than there are cultures that eat meat. Not saying I would like it, but supplemented with a little wild game, and garden, a guy could live a long time. I am first to admit, this would not be very healthy. You could supplement with vitamins and protein powder also. We're talking basic survival here. I don't have it in me to be a cannibal.

Live trap, the walking question was for YOU to start considering alternate solutions to alternate problems. You are going to drive out-- plan A-- but your vehicle broke down or was stolen, just before the SHTF. Now you are walking (Plan B) or you will have to stay and face the disaster where you are (Plan C). Note: It is harder to box a person on foot in, than it is to box in a vehicle. It is very easy to block a road and there are many reason why local citizens during a SHTF event may want or feel they need to block all your back roads to your brothers place. It is impossible to block all the possible foot paths to any destination.

Big Paul, grain. There are more cultures on earth that don't eat meat, than there are cultures that eat meat. Not saying I would like it, but supplemented with a little wild game, and garden, a guy could live a long time. I am first to admit, this would not be very healthy. You could supplement with vitamins and protein powder also. We're talking basic survival here. I don't have it in me to be a cannibal.
there is a saying in prepper circles about "rule of 3's", not just about air or water etc, but having more than one type of thing to survive on, I don't think I would want to survive on just one thing. some preppers talk about a prepping "pyramid".
someone who talks about cannibalism and I have come across several who do, has failed as a prepper, same with eating worms and other creepy crawlies.
hunting is down to how good a hunter one is, even the best hunters come back empty handed.
gardens depend on what type of soil you have and how good it is for growing, not all soil types are.

I have given the whole bug out idea a lot of thought, and here in Wichita I can only see a few reasons why I may or may not want to bug out.

#1 Natural disaster like Yellowstone popping off. Depending on which theoretical coverage map you look at, this may or may not affect us here enough to worry about it.

#2 CME causing a major EMP and taking out the entire electrical grid of the US. In this scenario, no matter where you are, if you're close to a larger city, you will probably be screwed once everyone figures out that the just in time deliveries aren't happening anymore. I plan on being gone long before that happens.

#3 An asteroid hits the earth and causes widespread damage in the form of tsunamis and nuclear winter. In this case, you better hope you're far enough away from the strike zone if you plan on any type of survival.

#4 Major earthquake like Cascadia fault line or New Madrid waking up and coming to the party. I really don't see how either of those will affect me to much here in Kansas, other than the influx of refugees from the affected areas.

Now onto manmade disasters.

#1 Economic collapse. At this point in time this seems the most likely thing to happen. In this case I still think it'll be prudent to hunker down and stay home.

#2 Manmade EMP from a nuclear weapon. I seriously don't think that any country is stupid enough to do this to us, but you never know. I always get a little nervous going into winter about this, because if I was going to launch an attack, it would be in the winter time during the middle of the week after 9am Pacific time. Why? Because it would cause the most confusion and casualties. Everyone is at work and school, so getting the kids and spouses rounded up would take more effort than normal, especially if you can't drive from place to place to pick everyone up. If I was going to do it, that's when I'd push the button.

#3 Zombie Apocalypse. Ahh, everyone's favorite. The only way I can see surviving this one is owning an abandoned missile silo that's been refurbished and stocked with 10+ years of food and water. Especially if the zombies are 28 Days Later type of zombies. That movie and it's sequel freaks me out.

Bonus round:

The Second Coming. In this case, hopefully you're on the right side of God, because if you're not, it's gonna be a long hot summer for you.

As a side note, it always cracks me up when I read and hear about people's survival plans for SHTF. I especially love the vehicle recommendations and discussions. Now, I do own an M35A2 Deuce and a half, and I bought it specifically for a bug out vehicle. I hear a lot about buying a mechanical diesel because they're EMP proof, can run on almost any fuel, etc. This is true, but no one ever talks about maintenance on these vehicles. Especially fluids, let alone hard parts. Where are you going to find brake fluid 5 years after SHTF? 10 years? How about new batteries? Brake hoses and calipers/wheel cylinders? Antifreeze? Transmission fluid? Oil for the engine?

Sure, you can make your own fuel, but can you make your own brake fluid? The coolest most awesomest bug out vehicle in the world is only cool until it needs brake fluid, then it's just another rusting carcass on the side of the road. This is why I get a kick out of the Mad Max movies, there's no way those vehicles will be running 10 years after the apocalypse with no AutoZone open on the corner.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what its worth to our new friends, I ask you to consider viewing ALL roads after TSHTF and avoid like the plague deathraps, IF you are Bugging IN or OUT you are far more likely to come across big trouble by going near or using roads.

Roads is where the Government / State/ Police will build checkpoints, they may not want to kill you BUT they MAY want to confine you to refugee camps AND ? OR they may relieve you of much of your kit for redistribution to the needy.

Roads are likely to be clogged very quickly with people who get desparate very quickly, running out of fuel will cause traffic chaos, crashes caused by panic, etc. Criminals will use the roads as happy hunting grounds.

To me roads serve only ONE purpose as soon as TSHTF, ONE PURPOSE ONLY. They are NAVIGATION AIDS, you use them to help you navigate to where you want to be by PARALLELING them. IE you walk / cycle / drive / ride along side them at least 200 yards from them NEVER on them.

Use roads, rivers, pipelines, and power pylon lines as nav aids you keep them in sight to help you move in a SAFER manner than you will by using the roads. Natually that wont work everywhere before you bite my head off.

I feel ( opinion) that for a while roads like town and cities will be lethal for the unwary.

if you are bugging out avoid places where other people are likely to be like the PLAGUE, roads, towns, railway stations etc.
if there is anything that will bring you danger it will be other people especially in the first few weeks or months post SHTF, human nature will make it so.

[QUOTE="EricB1970, post: 163032, m

As a side note, it always cracks me up when I read and hear about people's survival plans for SHTF. I especially love the vehicle recommendations and discussions. Now, I do own an M35A2 Deuce and a half, and I bought it specifically for a bug out vehicle. I hear a lot about buying a mechanical diesel because they're EMP proof, can run on almost any fuel, etc. This is true, but no one ever talks about maintenance on these vehicles. Especially fluids, let alone hard parts. Where are you going to find brake fluid 5 years after SHTF? 10 years? How about new batteries? Brake hoses and calipers/wheel cylinders? Antifreeze? Transmission fluid? Oil for the engine?

Sure, you can make your own fuel, but can you make your own brake fluid? The coolest most awesomest bug out vehicle in the world is only cool until it needs brake fluid, then it's just another rusting carcass on the side of the road. This is why I get a kick out of the Mad Max movies, there's no way those vehicles will be running 10 years after the apocalypse with no AutoZone open on the corner.....
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I can make bio diesel but I can also run my van on Veg oil, and their is a Veg oil plant not a mile from here. And the distributorship for my nissan van is only in the next town. I keep POLs a plenty Cable ties, hose Clips, Fuses, Duct Tape, Brake Pipe kit, Exhaust clamps, Anti Freze, Universal brake fluid, screen wash, fuses, relays etc parts lists and repair manuals etc

You dont need a battery for many diesels they can be jerry rigged to work without them as they are only needed to start the engine, You can fit Air starters to some. Or as I saw overseas they just park on a hill and bump start their trucks :) Dunno about the US but in the UK many battery stores dont charge their batteries with acid until they sell. So there are thousands if not millions of batteries in storage that dont decay, you simply have to add the acid to activate them.

unless someone has a warehouse full of spare parts, not just for vehicles but other things as well, at some point there will be an end date, all things are finite, and just how much veg oil can you store? there will be a finite amount of veg oil out there in post SHTF land, just how many fish and chip shops and Chinese take aways are there?
it always amazes me how many people there are who continue to think they can have something like what they have now after the big collapse, welcome to the new "normal" that is nothing like anybody alive has ever known before.
better to use what we have to get to a place where we can live without it when it no longer functions.

Latest posts

Back