Budget DIY underground shelter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably a stupid question, but are any of you considering the soil you are building on/in? I know I wouldn't dare build any type of bunker in Florida with it's limestone and risks of sinkholes. Same goes for areas with lots of loose soil and risks of mud/rock slides, overly hard rock soil that will cost a ton just to dig down a few feet...
Hi longhorn There are no stupid questions, just a lack of understanding. But to your question it is a very intelligent question and one many people overlook much to there regret after the fact. Our underground cave house is flood proof, mudslide, rock-slide and drive by shooting proof. But you are right it was expensive to put in and yes being a miner for many years we do know our rock structure's and weakness's, also should be considered is the temperatures of the rock down below the surface as that will be what you will need to heat or cool, in the north country it is generally cooler underground unless you get in a geothermal area where the ground is naturally warmer, also consider if the fractures in the rock are comparatively vertical or horizontal as in limestone. The rock cliff we built in the insulating value is very good and the heat sink effect is such that the summer temps get to the inside in the winter and the winter temps get in the summer, through the 40+ feet of solid rock overhead, the rock in our cave-house is very tight with no horizontal fractures and will support a 30x30 ft room with no supports and stays at 70% year around Have a good Day! and happy Prepping. Mountain Scout.

I'd go with cinder blocks also. As stated, the steel would need to be treated to not rust.
Also, concrete makes a great radiation shield. Furthermore, easy and cheap.

I'd go with cinder blocks also. As stated, the steel would need to be treated to not rust.
Also, concrete makes a great radiation shield. Furthermore, easy and cheap.
Hi Gazrok You are right about the cost cinder blocks are cheaper and easier to work with and it would be a good idea to also water proof the cinder blocks before you cover them, But you seem to have a good plan in mind so stay with it and never quit thinking because new thoughts always come up so plan, plan, plan. an old saying goes, "Man plans and God laughs", and then he does it his way. anyway Good luck with everything you do. and God Bless. Mountain Scout.

Latest posts

Back