Broke as a joke but want to prep...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Reaction score
Hi there I am very new to prepping only about 2 months worth... I have read multiple books and seen countless shows on prepping.... My question is there any more advice I can obtain about storage and preserving on a very very small budget?? a

Jim's right on with shopping at discount places and yard sales. Thrift stores are great too. I see commercials for food supplies all the time, but it takes big money. Canning doesn't take a large investment in money or skill, and the sense of satisfaction from preserving your homegrown vegetables is incredibly satisfying. Remember to keep focused on three simple things. Water, food and then security. There are lots of things you can collect and save, but if you focus on these 3 then it will all fall in place. This is a great site to learn from, and there are many others too. Even if you can't afford much, knowledge is more valuable than loads of supplies anytime. If you rely on stored goods, what do you do if someone steals them, but if you know how to get the things you need to survive from your surroundings then you can handle anything. I'm impressed that someone of your young age is thinking about these things, I wonder how far I would be if I had started at your age.

oh yeah..might try what im doing on canning supplys and seeds if you go this route..i've already bought the seeds.now im buying what canning stuff i need one step at a time.

Hi there I am very new to prepping only about 2 months worth... I have read multiple books and seen countless shows on prepping.... My question is there any more advice I can obtain about storage and preserving on a very very small budget?? a
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Assuming you already have shelter, the order is pretty much Water, then Food, then Security.

WATER - isn't just about having a lot of stored water, but also where to find it, and how to have a replenishable supply. Rain barrels are great ideas, so may want to check into these. They can be a little pricey, around $100 for a store bought one, but there are other, more second-hand solutions for these. Even having some stored bottled water though, can be helpful. Remember to rotate it out every 6 months though....to keep it fresh.

FOOD - Food safe buckets with air-tight lids, and use mylar bags, then store things like rice, dried beans, mashed potato flakes, dried corn, etc. These items will keep for over a decade if stored right. And, you can build up.

That is really the key. You don't have to get everything at once. Start with a bug out bag, a backpack of supplies that you can take with you, keep in the car, etc. Then keep adding things. You will eventually be stocked up, just may take longer on a budget.

Ramen isn't very nutritious though. Plenty of other food options. I like Ramen, but I wouldn't recommend surviving on it.

thats true.it aint very nutritious.but what is added to it,will at least add some nutriants to it..like chicken beef or pork.and if it's on hand.broth as well..

Ramen isn't very nutritious though. Plenty of other food options. I like Ramen, but I wouldn't recommend surviving on it.
I agree it's not super nutritious but it's really good to mix with other things to make really good dishes. I make a really easy dish that everyone raves about when trying it. Fry 1lb burger with some chopped onion, brown and drain. Throw in chopped cabbage and soy sauce and the Ramon season packets and cook until the cabbage is still just a little crisp. Boil two Ramon packets and mix into stir fry. This dish takes me about twenty minutes and is really good. I only wish I had ten more quick receipies this good! I haven't eaten any of the dehydrated foods yet, but bet they would mix well with Ramon's.

Anything with simple carbs for a collapse type situation is good because it turns to fat and when your body is starving for energy it begins to use that fat storage now granted noodles arent gonna be healthy on there own you also need protein which you can get from any meat source so throw a rat or couple mice in that ramen ! squirrel,deer,etc. Vitamin c is vital ! look up your local plant life see what is ok to eat and what they benefits of those plants are then you can have you a nice healthy ramen stew of some sort.

Anything with simple carbs for a collapse type situation is good because it turns to fat and when your body is starving for energy it begins to use that fat storage now granted noodles arent gonna be healthy on there own you also need protein which you can get from any meat source so throw a rat or couple mice in that ramen ! squirrel,deer,etc. Vitamin c is vital ! look up your local plant life see what is ok to eat and what they benefits of those plants are then you can have you a nice healthy ramen stew of some sort.
Yum, gourmet squirrel!

Welcome and thanks for joining.

Ramen is a good "Base soup" IMHO. Adding meats or eggs along with veggies really changes it's nutrition value. We cut out almost all of the seasoning packet too since it's so high in sodium.

There are lots of inexpensive ways to prep. Reading is a great way to get started. Another thing you might consider is "Survivalist" style prepping. You can learn a lot from reading and you can sharpen your skills by applying the techniques in the field. Work on fire, water purification, and eating. Both foraging and trapping/hunting/fishing are inexpensive ways to learn to sustain yourself on the cheap.

Poke around here and see what you find. There aren't a lot of folks around here that are operating on big budgets. You'll fit right in and find a lot of good info, I'm sure.

Couponing! I can't even stress that enough. Couponing and prepping go hand in hand. Essentials like toilet paper, tooth paste, deodorant, soaps, pastas, rice, potato flakes, soups, peanut butter and more can be bought in bulk for pennies.

Couponing! I can't even stress that enough. Couponing and prepping go hand in hand. Essentials like toilet paper, tooth paste, deodorant, soaps, pastas, rice, potato flakes, soups, peanut butter and more can be bought in bulk for pennies.

I do coupon as well and it has gone great so far now I'm trying to can foods and even dehydrate foods. Also I bout seeds that could reproduce so I can use those as well

There are some amazing couponers on this site, have to say. I've already learned a lot, and I'm sure much more too learn. The eyeglasses link alone has saved my literally hundreds of dollars.

I think the most important aspect of prepping is your skill set and the practical application of everything you know imo. I posted a video on YouTube last year with some thoughts after I went threw 6 days in a power outage that was the result of a winter storm. Practice what you prep. I will see if I can link the video.

Knowledge is free. Bone up on that & get what you can afford when you can afford it. I know it sucks when you want a ton of stuff NOW but you can only do what you can

thats one thing that erks me..cant buy things at times simply because i dont have the money for it at the time.and alot of those situations are yard sales.so no going back when i do have the money.. :)

Latest posts

Back