Brand new

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb4849

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am brand new to prepping, but due to recent political and societal events I would like to start prepping for myself and my family. First off, I do not make a lot of money as I am currently pursuing a degree in the medical field so my financial abilities are quite limited at the present time. Second, I also have two kids that I need to look out for as well, both being girls. With that being said I have no clue where to start on prepping, I have seventy two hours of supplies right now if anything were to happen, but I am looking to up my supplies as well as my skills. I am ex military so I do know a bit about survival, but am not used to anything without it being provided by a larger entity or being planned out by several personnel, are there specific supplies I could be gathering? How do you make those supplies mobile? I already have plenty of things that go bang, but I want something that is going to provide nourishment as well as protein for not only myself, but for both my kids. Also, I live in a suburban neighborhood, decided to make an investment where houses sell within one day of being on the market, not in the woods where I would prefer. One of the biggest issues that I find myself thinking about is if something happened how long will it be until one of my neighbors starts measuring myself by what I have and how it can help them. Are there any suggestions as to places to bug out to and survive, I have some basic camping skills when it comes to fire making and hunting, but have no knowledge on trapping, are there any courses in my state that I could take to hone my skills? Any and all help is appreciated, criticism is welcomed. Thank yall.

Welcome from a Texan gal! You have a start which is good, but you need to build on that. You have a family to think about and that means a lot, often the loved ones counting on you to make a transition life as easy as possible. Would suggest taking them camping. . . work as a family on a conman goal, but make it fun, not a drill. I am only guess your girls are young right now?

Building your long term food doesnt have to be expensive. I would start with the basics of baking and beans/rice. Work from there.

Warm Welcome from the Arizona folks. USA

Prepping is like eating a whale. You just take it one bite at a time. You have shelter and defensive weapons, so food and water are the most critical items for you to acquire. Continue to build your food supply, a little at a time, as your budget permits. Get some plastic rain barrels and capture water from your down spouts. keep all extra food supplies out of site from the neighbors. Do not store on open shelves in the garage. Keep the shelves covered. Pick a topic and ask specific questions and you will get a great many responses. This forum has a great many members that are experts in their field and will gladly answer specific question.

first thing you need to learn - unless you have a prepared BOL (Bug Out Location) >> you're nothing but a refugee that's is a little bit better prepared than the bare azzed variety - and if you're worried about a suburban neighbor you've met and shared a BBQ - be VERY worried about the starving bare azzed that want to BBQ you & your family ...

What makes a good bug out location? Are there any preferred modes of transport to get to said location? I already have a 4x4 truck that I equipped to survive the winters in north dakota, so rough terrain ain't a problem. I live in the flatlands of Arkansas, but am considering finding a bugout location like a cave, there are so many caves here, but I am just not sure what makes it an ideal location. Thanks for the welcomes everybody

Isolation, not commonly known about, not on easily accessible routes, has its own fresh water, ideally has woodland around it for firewood and hunting critters, south facing location to trap solar energy, a place with a steady breeze for micro turbines and having fertile soil. Not near military or government establishments nor near a nuclear plant.

Besides MRE's what kind of food would yall recommend storing? Canned goods? I already have a hydroponic garden going that has plenty of veggies in it, I'm in the process of converting what little electrical devices I have running it to solar power, has anyone had a mini farm going on a 1/4 acre or less?

That's interesting I have never heard of #10 cans, just checked those bad boys out and they look pretty good, especially with a long shelf life.

A BOL is something im working on as well. I figure an isolated mountainous desert area would suit my needs. One, because the land is cheap, I don't have any hand me down farm land like some do, or $500k to spend on fertile, wooded acreage with a natural spring. But, I believe I can swing 40 acres of dry land, and a well.

I also think that while fertile land is a nice thing to have, for now. It might not be such a good thing if shtf for real. Heres why. Every Tom Dick and Harry with a gun thinks they're going to go out in the woods and hunt if they get hungry. And they will. And the hunters will be successful. But the woods will be ridden with armed city folk that have no clue, and will either cause everyone to not get a kill because they scared off the prey, or they will get lucky and kill off every single living thing. So all those people that think they are secluded in the woods and won't hardly see another person when shtf, I beg to differ. "I", will rarely see anyone, because no one will venture out into the desert for food. And good luck getting here when gas and water is scarce. Just thoughts.

I would absolutely love to have 40 acres with fertile land and spring, but unlike most folk who can go out and drop 200k plus, I cannot and will not. Land prices are absolutely ridiculous and through the roof at the current times, I do agree with you that most people think they can go out into the woods and hunt, which they will be sorely disappointed. I cannot tell you how angry people make me in disasters when a storm hits and the power goes out, they all go out not giving a fuk about one another, only themselves, and buy up all the supplies out of fear. This is why I have started prepping because I refuse to let these people drag me down due to their fear. We just had an ice storm hit here not too long ago, apparently all common sense went out the window with everyone trying to hit the roads before the plows get out or so much as putting on some chains, they have caused a hundred car pile up in Texas, as well as clogging up most of the major highways here. I have come to realize people cause their own problems, I also now understand why most first responders have a general annoyance for the general population, it is as if someone sucked up their knowledge to throw it out. The only reason I made it farther than most in this storm is with chains, a block heater, my 72 hour bug out bag, my personal ifak, and all of my cold-weather gear rated for up to -70, I shit you not the boots I wear when I bought them asked if you planned on going to the moon.

Welcome aboard the board.

You are pursuing a degree in the medical field and is ex military and you have shelter and defensive weapons so your off to a good start. Food and water are the most critical items for you to acquire next. I suggest continuing to build up your food supply, a little at a time, as your budget permits. Get some plastic rain barrels can use them to capture water from your down spouts. Keep all extra food supplies out of site.

Building your long term food doesn't have to be expensive. I would start with the basics of baking and beans/rice. Work from there.

As for trapping I'm sure every state has courses for everything. There are also websites and youtube that have videos how to make and set up traps.

Latest posts

Back