BOV

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would make a better BOV

• Total voters

bigadam

Reaction score
I have been looking into getting a new vehicle since a lincoln ls isn't that great of a vehicle to travel through the woods with. I have come down to two vehicles that I am starting to get into. Which would be a better vehicle a Jeep Cherokee or a Wrangler? Any pros or cons to either vehicle? What are some of the thoughts on this?

I have been looking into getting a new vehicle since a lincoln ls isn't that great of a vehicle to travel through the woods with. I have come down to two vehicles that I am starting to get into. Which would be a better vehicle a Jeep Cherokee or a Wrangler? Any pros or cons to either vehicle? What are some of the thoughts on this?

I own both. A 2007 Wrangler Rubicon with hardtop and a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. My wife drives the Grand Cherokee and its a great SUV with every option available, however, I wouldn't want to use this vehicle much off road. We bought it new when we lived in Alaska and it does great in the snow and ice.
The Rubicon would be a much better choice for rough terrain and off road use. I have a 12,000lb Mile Marker winch mounted on the front with additional lights. Depending on the type of disaster you're preparing for, you may want re-power the Wrangler with a pre-electronic engine. Or buy an older CJ5. I've owned an older CJ and it doesn't come close to the newer Wranglers in performance, ride, and comfort. This is just my opinion of course and is based on having owned both the old model Jeep and a new one. The Wrangler gets good gas mileage (I average 21 MPG), its quite, and has a great ride with no squeaks or rattles. On the negative side, I feel that it's a little underpowered. I'm looking at adding a super charger to gain a littler more HP. I have the 2 door model so space is limited. I'm going to add a roof rack to carry extra gear and a new rear bumper with Jerry can holders. If you need the extra room you can opt for the Limited model with 4 doors. Good luck.

Most of the EMP effects suspected with vehicles are actually based on a very small test done for ONE publication, and even that publication admits that most test vehicles started right back up, if they even lost power at all. Only a very small percentage had problems that were serious and these were at the higher test ranges. In essence, many cars are rolling Faraday cages, so the EMP scare on vehicles is highly overrated. So, this shouldn't be too big on your consideration list. (in my opinion).
I would suspect the Wrangler is better for off-road purposes. Personally though, I like Diesel for BOV's, because it is a lot more flexible.

I personally like the Wranglers.
However,
For my BOV I am going with the either a Ford F-150 or F-250 in diesel, as I agree with Gazork about the flexibility of diesel. The wrangler just wont transport all i need, and I want to try and limit trailer use as much as possible.

I love diesels as well but just dont have the money for one. I have found more wranglers for sale than the cherokees. I thought about the Grand Cherokee but dont want to have to deal with more computer problems. With the wrangler I'm looking at the mid 90s with the basic for everything. Hand crank windows manual locks no ac so it will be one less thing i have to prep for. Thanks for all the insight !

I just wanted to stick this in somewhere in case no one had heard they were coming out with this in the next three to five years but google airless tires ... they are working on this at many tire companies... they use a honey comb structure instead of air to support the tire tread ... just keep that in mind when they finalize the product and get it out to the public .... no more flats or low tires :) I was just telling someone this idea a few years ago that the tire companies should come out with this and look they are coming out with it ... see they stole my idea and I am glad since I dont know anything about tires this is a product I have wanted for ages so I wont have to stop for flats or hire someone to fix them lol

That would be awesome to see how they do that and the special machines shops would need. Since I work in a tire shop I have a lot of people come in with flats and they are a pain to deal with.

There are more aftermarket suspension upgrades for wranglers,however if you get an older Cherokee, they have excellent differentials and trans case. Cherokee also has more interior space for supplies. Both had a very good in line 4.0l six cylinder. I guess it's preference. I would go with a cherokee, probably and early '70's model.Parts are cheap and vehicle is large enough to accommodate my family and supplies.

Hi all you preppers we have our own version of a bugout vehicle it is not to expensive to get and can be made somewhat EMP resistant it is a jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 6 cyl engine i have made an adapter for a carburetor and a fuel pump, to bypass the computer and injectors, and put in a point style distributor and an adapter to accept a old 12 volt generator, I am no expert on EMP but from what I do know this should give us half a chance if the EMP is not to strong I'm still looking into that subject. But here are some pictures of our Bugout vehicle it can be set up or taken down in less than 2 minutes, we have used it in many camping trips looking for good survival spots many times in below freezing and stormy weather, this rack is built for very rough trails, ditches and rocky country. our Cherokee is just one of our 4x4 vehicles 3 others are real rock crawlers for competition. This Bugout campers fits into any 2 inch trailer receiver and can be all loaded and ready to just plug in and go in whatever time it takes to put it in the trailer hitch. here are some of the pictures. The privacy tent has a potty and shower, the rack folds up in bad spots and levels back out when you have gone past, This has proven to be a very quick and easy way to enjoy a camping trip without needing to go back to a base camp. P.S. I really enjoy this site. Good Luck to everyone & have a good life.

The biggest drawback with the Wrangler was the cargo capacity. Now that they have the four door stretched Wrangler, that has been somewhat solved. It really depends on where you are going to be bugging out. Vehicles that are good for out West aren't necessarily good for down South, or up North.

The original Ford Bronco was one of the best off road vehicles ever made for down South. Then they came out with the BIG Bronco which was more suitable for out West, but that ruined it for down South.

Hi DrHenley You are right about the early Bronco but I can't seem to get much out of a ford. after many years of racing older fords on circle tracks and always needing rebuilt and repaired, and then working at the Ford proving grounds in Yucca Az. I gave up driving Ford products and went with jeep and have had good luck for many years, Then Chrysler took over jeep and they made a mistake by putting 2 catalytic converters right under the intake manifold causing all that heat from the cats to collect under the hood and around the injectors causing # 2&3 to temporally vapor lock for a few minutes , But the late 90's did not have much of a problem with that, The cure for that is hood vents, a temp controlled fan and upgraded 4 hole injectors. But all in all Ford is a good vehicle if you like them, But our" BugOut Quick Camper", works really well for us and over a year of real life vigorous testing in all types of weather and a few upgrades, We are starting to build more for friends that have followed us in the outback trips and seen the kind of bad places we get through . This "Bug Out Quick Camper" automatically folds up in ditches and steep inclines and declines and flattens back out on level ground , and has never given us any trouble in over a year of testing. And to top off all the benefits being ready to bug out with an already loaded plug in and go trailer hitch mounted camper that sets up or folds down in less than 2 minutes, You can keep going and you don't have to go back to a base camp or anything else, that is the thing we enjoy the most, we hate to go back over the same trail, so we just keep going seeing new sights till the Sun starts to sink over the horizon then we set up camp in the outback complete with outhouse, shower tent, warm comfortable bedding, and other survival gear that we thought we would need for this particular trip. Good Luck And God Bless. Mountain Scout.

JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket, haha. Kidding, Im with the Dr. I like the Bronco, the original is awesome, the bronco II is a great offroad vehicle also. My old man owned a 1990 Bronco II which before he sold it had about 275K miles on it, with barely a problem, and we would take that truck through anything. I had a 1990 Ramcharger, which was unstoppable and had great cargo room, downside is the large size can't go the same places as a jeep or bronco.

JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket, haha. Kidding, Im with the Dr. I like the Bronco, the original is awesome, the bronco II is a great offroad vehicle also. My old man owned a 1990 Bronco II which before he sold it had about 275K miles on it, with barely a problem, and we would take that truck through anything. I had a 1990 Ramcharger, which was unstoppable and had great cargo room, downside is the large size can't go the same places as a jeep or bronco.
Hi Todd Yes there are good Fords the old 289 ci engine was a very good engine in the early Broncos, as for mileage I still drive a jeep C J 8 that has over 400k on it same engine, but the frame has been welded in many places, due to abusive off road competition, it has lockers on both ends on board welder, lift kit, air, 8000lb wench hi dollar chrome molly axles, 4 speed granny gear truck transmission, O The speedo gave up at over 350k but it still runs great, oversize tires, and many other off road necessities. if you people like Fords good luck, I just don't get along with Ford Products. although They made a good move when they installed the old International engine in a lot of bigger Ford trucks. Good Luck and "To Each His Own" Mountain Scout.

Hi Todd Yes there are good Fords the old 289 ci engine was a very good engine in the early Broncos, as for mileage I still drive a jeep C J 8 that has over 400k on it same engine, but the frame has been welded in many places, due to abusive off road competition, it has lockers on both ends on board welder, lift kit, air, 8000lb wench hi dollar chrome molly axles, 4 speed granny gear truck transmission, O The speedo gave up at over 350k but it still runs great, oversize tires, and many other off road necessities. if you people like Fords good luck, I just don't get along with Ford Products. although They made a good move when they installed the old International engine in a lot of bigger Ford trucks. Good Luck and "To Each His Own" Mountain Scout.

Sounds like a great rig. It's surely funny how one person will have a great experience with the same product somebody else may hate. I would love to get my hands on an International Travel All.

Sounds like a great rig. It's surely funny how one person will have a great experience with the same product somebody else may hate. I would love to get my hands on an International Travel All.
Hi Todd I to am an International Man! I still drive a Scout 2 and my work truck is a 1958 International 3 quarter ton Golden Jubilee with a real fancy bed lots of chrome, only made this model for 2 years, I am getting older, so I just sold a 1968 travelall and a 1969 the last year they made the rounded body style. I still have a Scout Traveler,4x4 but it is not running right now, I'm going to put it on ebay soon as I get it cleaned up a bit. anyway you are right about people having better luck with a certain brand of vehicle. Anyway good to hear your opinions, I only have one Travelall left and it is junk and for parts only. God Bless & Good Luck in everything you do. "Mountain Scout"

Latest posts

Back