Boots

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShellShock11C

Reaction score
What footwear do you guys prefer to use while doing prepper stuff? I hear Solomons are good, but I've always worn US Military ICW boots. Great ankle support, waterproof (never had a leak in all the pairs I've had) very tough/long lasting as well, and re-solable. I guess the only drawbacks would be they're a bit on the heavy side, and they can get a bit warm in hot weather. Looking to maybe switch it up a bit.

Attachments

• boots1.jpg
    boots1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
During summer I mostly wear sandles or slip on shoes. If I'm working with the cows or other ranch chores I wear a light weight ankle high lace up boot. On horse back I wear cowboy boots. During winter I wear Sorals cold weather boots or insulated Filson boots. Also have Whites and Redwing boots.

What footwear do you guys prefer to use while doing prepper stuff? I hear Solomons are good, but I've always worn US Military ICW boots. Great ankle support, waterproof (never had a leak in all the pairs I've had) very tough/long lasting as well, and re-solable. I guess the only drawbacks would be they're a bit on the heavy side, and they can get a bit warm in hot weather. Looking to maybe switch it up a bit.

I like my Ariat's. Not the cowboy boots (though I have those too for other kinds of work. I was a pro figure skater and ballerina, don't need much in the way of ankle support. I have short very wide feet though.

ARIAT Women's Terrain Waterproof Hiking Boot​

1659911058601.png

Footwear is my Achilles heel...
My foot is a 12 1/2 EEEEEE with very high arches. Nothing fits me correctly. I've been to a foot doctor to see if I could get some kind of "prescription footwear" and he was no help at all. I have bought size 14 boots just to be able to get my foot in them. Then they are too long with the arch support in the wrong place.
With size 13 extra wide boots, I have to put boot stretchers in them for at least six months before I can wear them. And then it takes a year at least before they are comfortable.
I actually have some 12 1/2 EEEEEE shoes, but the heel is too wide. The toe box was too narrow until I put shoe stretchers in them for A YEAR. I have to be careful not to roll my ankle inside the heel of the shoes. I sprained one ankle twice in one day.

My foot is a 12 1/2 EEEEEE with very high arches. Nothing fits me correctly. I've been to a foot doctor to see if I could get some kind of "prescription footwear" and he was no help at all. I have bought size 14 boots just to be able to get my foot in them. Then they are too long with the arch support in the wrong place.
With size 13 extra wide boots, I have to put boot stretchers in them for at least six months before I can wear them. And then it takes a year at least before they are comfortable.
I actually have some 12 1/2 EEEEEE shoes, but the heel is too wide. The toe box was too narrow until I put shoe stretchers in them for A YEAR. I have to be careful not to roll my ankle inside the heel of the shoes. I sprained one ankle twice in one day.
Woah, thats crazy. Never heard of anyone with that foot size! Maybe you could find a decent cobbler and have yours made just for you? I've done that before for some jack-boots I have.

I've just heard of Ariat. Isn't it an equestrian brand?

Ariat is a Cowboy/ranching/riding...outdoor work boot, riding or some people who aren't actually needing it, hiking. Relatively inexpensive but fit me well.. A cowboy/farmer friend of mine swears by his Red Wings. Expensive but, they heave a heck of a lifetime warranty. Said he has had the same pair for 10 years, wears off the tread and has it replaced for free.

My ranch hand has a pair of Red Wings for climbing trees and doing tree work and another pair for everyday work. He loves them too.

Last edited:

An old trick we used to use with our figure skates which were 1/4" thick bonded leather and breaking them in involved blisters and bruises (or worse) like most people have never known...fill some baggies with water. Put them inside the toe area of the boot and stick them in the chest freezer (toe down) for a few days. Worked good.

Last edited:
Cowboy/ranching/riding...outdoor work boot. Relatively inexpensive but fit me well.. A cowboy/farmer friend of mine swears by his Red Wings. Expensive but, they heave a heck of a lifetime warranty. Said he has had the same pair for 10 years, wears off the tread and has it replaced.
I like Ariats. Could never find a sole/ankle support combo that worked for me for a work boot.
Dress boot yes. My Ex is gonna hate when I wear my Justins to our daughters wedding. She always hated cowboy boots on me.

For my son's wedding we both wore cowboy boots. I had a shin length suede leather fringe skirt and we both wore cowboy hats. Drove my MIL, an Iowa farm girl, who now hates farming, INSANE. Loved it!
I think I will reserve the Stetson for the rehearsal dinner!

This will be in Downtown Buffalo. Not a place you are gonna see boots and hats. But they are part of my life now.

I wore my boots and hat to my Aunt's celebration of life in DC and then walked around downtown with my Cousin...went to get a glass of whiskey together and gab...it is a part of me anymore. Got a lot of stares and looks...LOL. One guy actually fell off the curb into the rain gutter. That was funny. Wore them on the flights too.

Around here I wear my Bbcaps or myDr Henly type Hats. Only my Cowboy hats for comfort and usually the straw one.
The 14th we are flying to LB for wedding on the beach and I will wear my one of my Dr Henley hats. Need to buy a Hawian type shirt for that next week..
I didnt plan for my own wedding, and sent my sons girlfriend to fetch it for me.. Greenish hat didn’t go with grey suit. I didn’t care. I needed it.
My Stetson matches my suit. i will wear it proudly.

Around here I wear my Bbcaps or myDr Henly type Hats.
This is the actual "DrHenley Hat" LOL.
It's a Stetson that I reshaped the brim on, and replaced the hatband with a thunderbird beaded head band that I bought at the Choctaw Indian Fair.
I picked a Sean Connery avatar when he died to honor him. I chose that picture of Connery because of the hat.
RmVwnRd.jpg

I used to have a favorite boot, made by Georgia Boot Company. Owned 3 pairs. They got bought out, I think by Rocky. Cheaper sole.
Cant find one that suits me ever since.
Best boot made was sold by Cabelas and Browning and they are no longer made because some NUT CASE in Calif dint like them made from kangaroo hide!!!!!

Latest posts

Back