Boom! It's SHTF time. You can only grab three small, simple items from your house. What are they?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we're being realistic, I grab a go bag and I have water, food, shelter, weapons...pretty much most basic things you'd need.
If we're being literal, and I'm standing in the kitchen about to run out of the door,
1. A bottle of water from the refrigerator,
2. A Victorinox knife from the kitchen drawer,
3. My poncho (with big pockets!) hanging behind the kitchen door.

Maybe that's a good question (probably asked here many times before?)
What's in your go bags?
Canteen of water, field knife, 550 cord.

If we're being realistic, I grab a go bag and I have water, food, shelter, weapons...pretty much most basic things you'd need.
If we're being literal, and I'm standing in the kitchen about to run out of the door,
1. A bottle of water from the refrigerator,
2. A Victorinox knife from the kitchen drawer,
3. My poncho (with big pockets!) hanging behind the kitchen door.

Maybe that's a good question (probably asked here many times before?)
What's in your go bags?
My bag (medium alice pack) has some changes of clothes, poncho, 550 cord, some snack foods, two canteens of water (w/ steel cup for boiling), couple lighters, fishing hooks/line, ferro rod, extra footwear (chuck taylors for packability in case my boots get soaked), machete, field knife, trash bags, a sleeping blanket/poncho roll...and I think thats about it. I know I need to get some medical supplies.

It kind of depends on WHY it is go time

EMP has wiped out all electronics
1) BOB bag
2) Horse tack (saddle, bridle, BO saddle bag/scabbard)
3) Animals (horses and dogs)

Wild fire
1) Cell phone
2) Truck keys
3) Photo Albums/important papers/thumb drive/laptop

Raiders overrunning homestead
1) BOB
2) Ammo bag
3) Gun

Most other situations i can think of in the moment, would give me enough foresight for an orderly planned exit.

BOB has two weeks of freeze dried food for 1 (900 calories a day)
Datex bars
Multi tool
Emergency blanket
Advanced first aid kit
Antibiotics/pain meds
Important documents
A pair of socks
Unders
Poncho
Emergency tent
Altoid box with a bobby pin, safety pin, paper clip, rolled pieces of duct tape, fishing hook and line, twisty ties
Spare long Bow string and wax
550 cord
A tin cup
Katdyn water filter
A life straw bottle
Antibacterial liquid soap
Microfiber rag
Magnesium lighter
Vaseline soaked dryer lint
A lighter
Small vials of Everclear (dual purpose)
2 Changes of clothes
A roll of summer sausage, crackers and canned cheese
Raw Sugar (I am hypoglycemic)
Bowie knife

BOB has two weeks of freeze dried food for 1 (900 calories a day)
Datex bars
Multi tool
Emergency blanket
Advanced first aid kit
Antibiotics/pain meds
Important documents
A pair of socks
Unders
Poncho
Emergency tent
Altoid box with a bobby pin, safety pin, paper clip, rolled pieces of duct tape, fishing hook and line, twisty ties
Spare long Bow string and wax
550 cord
A tin cup
Katdyn water filter
A life straw bottle
Antibacterial liquid soap
Microfiber rag
Magnesium lighter
Vaseline soaked dryer lint
A lighter
Small vials of Everclear (dual purpose)
2 Changes of clothes
A roll of summer sausage, crackers and canned cheese
Raw Sugar (I am hypoglycemic)
Bowie knife
Now thats a well done bag. Can I ask though, why the paper clips, twisty ties and wont the summer sausage go bad unless you replace it every other day? lol

Now thats a well done bag. Can I ask though, why the paper clips, twisty ties and wont the summer sausage go bad unless you replace it every other day? lol

Do you realize what MacGyver can do with a paper clip and a twisty tie??

A unopened summer sausage is good for at least 6 months without refrigeration, if kept in a cool dark place.

Summer sausage is called summer sausage because it will store for 6 months unopened and un refrigerated. I review the contents of my BOB every season change.

My Altoids box is my "Mac Gyver" box. Full of you just "never-know-when-you-might-need-its".

I feel you. I used to think that as well and then they put in the Toll roads. Give it a couple of years when North side sprawls all the way to Marble Falls.

I'm at lake Buchanan. When I moved here 6 yrs ago I thought that was far enough away from Austin , now I'm thinking San Saba would've been better.

I did something similar 22 years ago. Realtor was like "you know everyone thinks this is the boonie-lands"...now not so much! I am going to East Tx where no one wants to be.

I am with Catzanddogs. My BOB weighs in at around 100 lbs and has everything I would need to run. I also have another in the car: INCH and my EDC. They are all within 2 minutes of reach. And, yes I can still carry the BOB...but it has a wrist rocket with ammo, sleeping mat, folding canteen and other things over and beyond those she mentioned.

Mine is only 1/2 that...around 40- 50#. The first one I ever packed up 20+ years ago, was way too heavy for me. I took it for a hike up the hills behind the BIL. Got to a steep part, gravity pulled me backwards and was rolling around on the ground like a turtle!
Not a ladylike look I must say!

Last edited:
I live a long way from anywhere. I have everything I need here. The only thing that could drive me out is fire or radiation.
Me too.
Fire is always a concern. I have the tack room of the horse trailer loaded at all times Tent, cots, sleeping bags, cooking, food. 4 boxes of temperature sensitive stuff in the hallway to load at a moments notice.
Everything I have read about radiation/fallout is to hunker down. Kit in carport-plastic, duct tape, tyvec suits,

Latest posts

Back