Boom! It's SHTF time. You can only grab three small, simple items from your house. What are they?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live a long way from anywhere. I have everything I need here. The only thing that could drive me out is fire or radiation.
What if it's... FLAMING RADIATION!?
Not a ladylike look I must say!

I dunno. I'd say thats wife material.
Me too.
Fire is always a concern. I have the tack room of the horse trailer loaded at all times Tent, cots, sleeping bags, cooking, food. 4 boxes of temperature sensitive stuff in the hallway to load at a moments notice.
Everything I have read about radiation/fallout is to hunker down. Kit in carport-plastic, duct tape, tyvec suits,
As a Firefighter, I'm always amazed and disappointed at how many preppers just don't prep at all for fires, and sometimes they set their selves up for it. You can have all the ammo and rations in the world, but if you dont replace your batteries on your smoke detectors, or have extinguishers (ABC and K type for any domestic house), well, don't be do disappointed when it goes up in flames.

Seeing as how a structure fire is far more likely than ANY doomsday scenario, I feel it's a field so many of us are lacking in. Like stock piling without guns, you're just asking for disaster.

I'm taking notes! I've got to get my happy arse to work! Pronto! I've got plenty stored if we have to hole up w/o electric, with food, water, medical kit/s, weapons, etc. but admit nothing really to head out with quickly...don't judge! I'm learning quick! Tomorrow's the exitus bug out plan supply day!

What if it's... FLAMING RADIATION!?

I dunno. I'd say thats wife material.

As a Firefighter, I'm always amazed and disappointed at how many preppers just don't prep at all for fires, and sometimes they set their selves up for it. You can have all the ammo and rations in the world, but if you dont replace your batteries on your smoke detectors, or have extinguishers (ABC and K type for any domestic house), well, don't be do disappointed when it goes up in flames.

Seeing as how a structure fire is far more likely than ANY doomsday scenario, I feel it's a field so many of us are lacking in. Like stock piling without guns, you're just asking for disaster.
A volunteer for 20 years. Evacuated from 3 different fires 4 times in the past 5 years. 2 acres around the buildings cleared. 10 acres are about down to nothing because of my 4 legged lawnmowers.
Radiation training because my Fire Department was in the 10 mile radius of a nuclear plant.
I have a little experience.

I don’t see any reason to ever leave this location, but the question was; what 3 items would you take if you had to leave your house. For me it would be a belt knife, hatchet and a .22 pistol. Water isn't a problem, I'd just go up to one of the springs in the area. The .22 will take any game needed and the knife and hatchet will skin game and build a shelter.

Dental floss is good for stitches

I would not use dental floss unless things changed the floss has wax on it. That could come off in a wound. Strongly recommend if your(anyone) itching to do stiches on someone then buy real sutures. There is a lot of stuff you have to do before giving someone stitches like getting the wound clean and as sanitary as possible. Your better off just putting a band aid on the wound and transport the patient back to base station for treatment in a fairly sanitary setting.

P.S.
If you want to improvise with stiches, then use monofilament fishing line, the smaller the better. I think ice fishing line is the smallest.

A volunteer for 20 years. Evacuated from 3 different fires 4 times in the past 5 years. 2 acres around the buildings cleared. 10 acres are about down to nothing because of my 4 legged lawnmowers.
Radiation training because my Fire Department was in the 10 mile radius of a nuclear plant.
I have a little experience.
Yeah, you got me beat for sure.

I would not use dental floss unless things changed the floss has wax on it. That could come off in a wound. Strongly recommend if your(anyone) itching to do stiches on someone then buy real sutures. There is a lot of stuff you have to do before giving someone stitches like getting the wound clean and as sanitary as possible. Your better off just putting a band aid on the wound and transport the patient back to base station for treatment in a fairly sanitary setting.

P.S.
If you want to improvise with stiches, then use monofilament fishing line, the smaller the better. I think ice fishing line is the smallest.
Only some floss is coated with wax.

1. Mill
2. Lathe
3. Angle grinder

I can build what I need from scraps.

Ok, now seriously:

1. Suppressed 22lr Ruger American Bolt action with ammo
2. Water filter
3. Machete

Not enough though. I'd desperately need my backpack with tent & sleeping bag, a 10x15ft plastic and at least a dozen lighters.

As a Firefighter, I'm always amazed and disappointed at how many preppers just don't prep at all for fires, and sometimes they set their selves up for it.
Un-burnable house made of cob, un-burnable roof made of kiln forged ceramic tiles, no trees near the house, city water and well water for dousing, 2 times 15 lb. dry extinguishers in the house, 1 in the garage with a 7 lb. CO2 brother next to it, another CO2 in the car and a Halon in the kitchen next to a fire blanket 6 feet from the stove just inside the pantry door.
Ex-military with nuclear weapons fire-fighting training and 7 years of practice, anti-accident trainer who also used B and C firefighting hoses for wetting down our rubber mats for trucks and cars to test their ABS systems and realise that the ABS systems were nearly useless on ice and snow anyway since the truck tires are too heavy to get rotating again if you turned the steering wheel more than 21 degrees away from the direction of travel.....
We have a nuclear plant 10 kilometers away also. It just got modernised by the russian builders and it provides 80% of Hungary with electricity including us. We cannot prep enough for the radiation which would come from there.

Latest posts

Back