Bookworms

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget entertainment books. Especially those that will likely be pulled off the shelf because the militant woke don't approve. I've got copies of Gone with the Wind, Huckleberry Finn, Federalist Papers and so on. Also been getting my favorite 70's and 80's movies and TV shows that are likely to be banned in the name of tolerance.
Just like the NAZIs did with book burning!

Ruminations:
So, I was going through my library shoring things up. I am a bibliophile and was in a discussion that got me thinking about the effects of the internet going "poof", especially on the younger generations.

When I was young, I lived rurally and didn't have any playmates around, so I read...A LOT! My parents had books everywhere floor to ceiling. The chemistry texts from college didn't interest me so much but, I read everything cover to cover including the bible, dictionary and encyclopedia set.

With the advent of the internet, younger generations don't turn to the older ones for fix-it advice, or read anything with a physical page, even in school. It really is a different way of garnering information than when I grew up.

I have been doing this prepping thing for decades and am beyond the "just surviving" preps. I am looking now to educating the next generation.

When the internet goes bye-bye, there will be a lot of lost kids out there. One of the books or rather set of books I think will be very handy will be the Encyclopedia. Maybe not a modern set as history has been re-written, or two sets, one modern and one older so that a comparison and discussion can be had.
When I was growing up our reference books at home was World Book Encyclopedia and Encyclopedia Britanica and a few more we had at home! I also collect bibles!

When I was growing up our reference books at home was World Book Encyclopedia and Encyclopedia Britanica and a few more we had at home! I also collect bibles!

I still have my complete set of 1977 World Book Encyclopedias, the WB dictionaries and WB "the year in science" books '77-86. I also have my children's bible 1970 edition, and my HS bible...

A few years back I was making visits to the county jail house . I would take the inmates books to read to pass the time . My usual book selection to give them was books revolving around prepping . For instance some of the books were " One Second After " and log cabin construction techniques . They passed the books around from prisoner to prisoner and were much coveted . -- I had no problem delivering the books . The guard would leaf through the books to check for any smuggled contraband and then take them to the very appreciative inmates .

I will have to pick it up. Thank you for the recommendation.
We gave that book to a friend of ours who escaped from Communist Romania before the wall came down. Hubby wanted to know what he thought about it given his experiences with tyranny and even being arrested for suspicious (as he was trying to put together an escape) activities.

About a week later he gave it back and said "Yes. That is how it was and how it would be."

I second the recommendation. Why this has not been made into a movie by someone, is a mystery.

I second the recommendation. Why this has not been made into a movie by someone, is a mystery.
Warner Brothers bought the movie rights but it languished in "development hell" until their rights expired (very common fate for potential movies).

In 2021 MPI Original Films bought the TV rights for the whole book series. It is my understanding that it is in preproduction. J. Michael Straczinski will be writing the plot. Let's just hope they get it out before the grid goes down. :confused:
https://deadline.com/2021/11/j-mich...logy-mpi-original-films-startling-1234879006/

Latest posts

Back