Bookworms

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly1

Reaction score
What books have you bought recently that you feel may be of use in the future?

I bought:
Practical Blacksmithing part one - volumes 1 and 2 - published in 1998. Originally published in separate volumes in 1889, 1890 and 1891. I no longer can afford to keep a horse. I miss not having horses in my life. This book is useful as I own no tools for blacksmithing and this book shows me the tools required. I could make these tools if ever needed. I worked in manufacturing.

Physical Chemistry for Metallurgists published in 1965. This is invaluable as it is chocked full of mathematical equations. I don't have time to list them all. A great source if we should ever have to start from scratch. Erm ... unless you love equations then please do NOT buy this book. It is NOT a 'how to guide.' This book is for folks who know this stuff but need to dip a toe or get a reminder for a project. A great book if you need to teach the next generation of upcomers.

I got a first edition on Organic Chemistry published in 1959. Again too much content to list. Not a how to guide. Very good for chemists. A useful section on hydrocarbons. Not for beginners. Would be useful for any in the trade for a teaching aid for upcomers for the future.

Just for fun I also got one on Iaido - I only have Bokken (thankfully) but fun and learning has been had. My bruises have been epic.
I hope you all have very good books too.

I'm going to revive your thread here, Holly. I love reference books. Here are a few I find helpful.

A little outdated, but good for general questions:
20230109_132409.jpg

Comprehensive beekeeping textbook that answers any question you may have on bee health:
20230109_132506.jpg

The best whole wheat bread book I have found:
20230109_132556.jpg

A standard for many preppers:
20230109_132705.jpg

Good for general grain production knowledge:
20230109_132639.jpg

Latest addition is Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson Kearny. Had an older copy but lost it to Katrina. A very old copy of Survival Guns by Mel Tappan. Dated but still useful information. Boston's Gun Bible. A somewhat revised Survival Guns by Boston T. Party. Prepper staples. Various others on other subject matters.

BOOKS cant be erased by an EMP pulse!!!!!!
Absolutely.
There's a book called something like The Cult of Common Core written by a guy who was originally on a board working on it somehow. Anyway, he said that the reason they wanted to federalize the education system was so they could provide electronic textbooks whoch could be automatically updated.

The guy isn't the best writer but the book was really interesting.

BOOKS cant be erased by an EMP pulse!!!!!!
A few years ago our state library did away with about 90% of their books in stock and went totally digital, I went through all they were about to destroy and rescued 37 cases of books, I now have my own library that covers bout anything,

Ruminations:
So, I was going through my library shoring things up. I am a bibliophile and was in a discussion that got me thinking about the effects of the internet going "poof", especially on the younger generations.

When I was young, I lived rurally and didn't have any playmates around, so I read...A LOT! My parents had books everywhere floor to ceiling. The chemistry texts from college didn't interest me so much but, I read everything cover to cover including the bible, dictionary and encyclopedia set.

With the advent of the internet, younger generations don't turn to the older ones for fix-it advice, or read anything with a physical page, even in school. It really is a different way of garnering information than when I grew up.

I have been doing this prepping thing for decades and am beyond the "just surviving" preps. I am looking now to educating the next generation.

When the internet goes bye-bye, there will be a lot of lost kids out there. One of the books or rather set of books I think will be very handy will be the Encyclopedia. Maybe not a modern set as history has been re-written, or two sets, one modern and one older so that a comparison and discussion can be had.

I dont think many people read books anymore, they read on tablets, or so my wife says.
I have a lot of prepping and survival books, I prefer books to reading off a screen.
when the collapse comes people wont be able to find out how to do stuff on Youtube anymore.
I totally agree with you, i maintain an extensive library of printed books!

Don't forget entertainment books. Especially those that will likely be pulled off the shelf because the militant woke don't approve. I've got copies of Gone with the Wind, Huckleberry Finn, Federalist Papers and so on. Also been getting my favorite 70's and 80's movies and TV shows that are likely to be banned in the name of tolerance.

Latest posts

Back