Helpful Info. Body armor

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking into purchasing body armor/plate carrier.
Any body have any suggestions?
Yeah, I wouldn’t go with steel plates; they are heavy and there are mixed reviews on if they will get you killed when the bullet impacts steel as the round can fracture essentially causing shrapnel. Before all the cyber commandos tell be about the special, amazing, magical, high tech, lining on the steel (kinda feels like a truck bed lining) that makes that not happen…. Yeah, I don’t buy it. Not to mention moving with them really sucks. I’ve moved distance with both steel, ceramic, and FRAS armor before, and I can tell you which I preferred. (The steel and FRAS was on the civilian side the ceramic plate was while in the military.)

You really get what you pay for. Spend the money on a good plate carrier that fits and then get the quality plates. Remember that cheap isn’t the best when your life depends on it. Also remember that what works for someone else might not work for you. Get a system that works AND FITS you.

Best of luck, and have a good day. 😁

I am new, but I came upon this discussion. I have a USMC vest but it is quite heave. I would be slowed down tremendously if I actually wore it now (I've been out of the Marine Corps for several decades). Besides, if you run out of Body Glide, your nipples will rub off and that will kill you! Think about it. If you get hit with the BDA on, you will be incapacitated for s certain length of time--not a good thing in a situation. If you get hit somewhere NOT protected, you are in a world of shit anyway, since there will be no medivac or field medics. My BO location is rural, so I will move fast and find cover and shoot back--hoping for the best! lol

Thank you. Good to be here. Choosing your IBA is a complicated issue. The Marines simply told me what to wear and I did it, no questions. Now, there are just too many considerations. Since I cannot dimply buy a vest for every member of the group, how many do I get? Just for the forward observers / guards? How mobile will they have to be? What size is a universal size? Out here in the country, I suspect a lot of deer rifles to be used. In addition to AR's. If all the bad guys used 9mm, it would be an easy choice as far as levels go. The problem makes me crazy! And like I said, if someone gets hit, they are down for a bit anyway, and if the round hit an area not protected by the armor, then its a world of shit. My conclusion is not to go with any sort of BDA. If I were urban, of course, it would be an easier problem. Oh, BTW, Gary apparently did not see the thread. Thank you for the welcome.

With all things, set your priorities, based on YOUR finances and needs. Body armor while being a very good idea, it is a bit further down my list. For defenses, I want Thermal monocular and night vision scopes, ahead of the body armor. I want to see them long before they see me or my defenders.

Last edited:
I think level 3 for scouts and level 4 for home defense / stationary / ambush defenders. Level 4 is typically heavy and would ware (pun intended) on the person carrying it. The scouts would need freedom of movement. Weight does have it's costs in fatigue and mobility. Financial cost is also a big factor. The main purpose of scouting is to detect threats, not to engage them.

A good solar / battery powered infrared light, connected to trip wires / motion sensors would make an ideal perimeter alarm system. Defenders equipped night vision devices could see the alarm but most likely the intruders would not be aware they had tripped an alarm. Good advance warning system and semi-budget friendly. The perimeter alarm could provide enough time to prepare a warm reception.

I think level 3 for scouts and level 4 for home defense / stationary / ambush defenders. Level 4 is typically heavy and would ware (pun intended) on the person carrying it. The scouts would need freedom of movement. Weight does have it's costs in fatigue and mobility. Financial cost is also a big factor. The main purpose of scouting is to detect threats, not to engage them.

A good solar / battery powered infrared light, connected to trip wires / motion sensors would make an ideal perimeter alarm system. Defenders equipped night vision devices could see the alarm but most likely the intruders would not be aware they had tripped an alarm. Good advance warning system and semi-budget friendly. The perimeter alarm could provide enough time to prepare a warm reception.

Can you point me in the right direction for the correct motion sensors? Do they come with infrared lights or do you get those separately?

“A good solar / battery powered infrared light, connected to trip wires / motion sensors would make an ideal perimeter alarm system.”

GP, I can't point you in the right direction, due to the fact I don't know your layout or intended purpose. Sorry. You can find motion sensor lights with infrared lights. I used my setup (modified by me) to turn on the infrared lights when a ground level (four foot high) motion sensor was tripped. The light portion was mounted very high up a tree and was visible (line of sight) from my location. The lights and sensor were solar powered. This setup was very helpful during the night time hours but was not a great system during the daytime. With perimeter alarms / lights, the power source is the weak link. During normal times, batteries can easily be replaced / changed out but during a real SHTF event, that may not be the case. Distance and line of sight also play an important part. Are you trying to detect intruders near the house or at a much longer distance? Too many unknow factors to make any viable recommendation.

Latest posts

Back