BOB Water solutions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrrph

Reaction score
When I first started packing my BOB, I'd wanted to carry 4.5L of water with me. Thats supposed to last 3 days, rationed. Then I realised that 4.5L is 4.5KG of unecessary weight. I reckon 2L to 3L would be sufficient for probably about a day, taking into account perspiration.

Singapore is a tropical country after all.

Which led me to think about filtration systems and those I can buy off the shelf. After doing some research _and_ some testing, I've narrowed down to 2. Of course, I will supplement them with a Lifestraw or Clean Sip kinda product but these 2 bottles will be my go-to bottles so I can carry my water a long.

Some of the considerations I used to choose my bottles.

1. BPA Free
2. Multiple Sizes - The missus carries a smaller bottle. I carry the 1L version.
3. Filter effectiveness - 99% and above.

The 2 bottles I pack in my BOB now are

http://www.clear2o.com/p-2-clear2go-filter-sport-water-bottle-silver-cwb200-3.aspx

http://www.okoh2o.com/

I will likely source for an additional oko odyessey as I like multi use.

Now to lighten my food load :p

Good for you! Doing a little research before can save money and grief later! Make sure you have more than one way of providing yourself clean water and food "Just in case"
Good luck.

yeah I will. 3 ways or more.

Just bottle and lifestraw is the filter. Looking into small bottles of iodine too :) those aren't too heavy. Plus boiling.

I personally like metal water bottles, just because it allows me to easily boil it (whether for purification, or for then pouring into a pouch of freeze-dried beef stew!)

i have 8 32/ounce bottles in the van in which i still need to get my bhb for the van..and still need stuff my bob to..

Gaz, I'm thinking of using a mess tin to boil water if need be. I'm carrying a pair of mess tins with me for cooking, boiling of water etc. I'm trying to save weight in my BOB, so the triton bpa free bottles are really good. The old videos for the OKO bottles can turn coke from black to clear! I have not tried it though, coz I only have 1 L2 filter for my bottle.

Jim, I think its always good to have _at least_ a lifestraw in your BOB. A lifestraw + bottle = filter bottle or drink from the river directly. Or even a plastic bag to carry the water around. The filter bottles can just be used for everyday use really.

Rudyc, The sawyer system looks really good! It _could_ replace a lifestraw in the BOB. So many things, so little space....

When I first started packing my BOB, I'd wanted to carry 4.5L of water with me. Thats supposed to last 3 days, rationed. Then I realised that 4.5L is 4.5KG of unecessary weight. I reckon 2L to 3L would be sufficient for probably about a day, taking into account perspiration.

Singapore is a tropical country after all.

Which led me to think about filtration systems and those I can buy off the shelf. After doing some research _and_ some testing, I've narrowed down to 2. Of course, I will supplement them with a Lifestraw or Clean Sip kinda product but these 2 bottles will be my go-to bottles so I can carry my water a long.

Some of the considerations I used to choose my bottles.

1. BPA Free
2. Multiple Sizes - The missus carries a smaller bottle. I carry the 1L version.
3. Filter effectiveness - 99% and above.

The 2 bottles I pack in my BOB now are

http://www.clear2o.com/p-2-clear2go-filter-sport-water-bottle-silver-cwb200-3.aspx

http://www.okoh2o.com/

I will likely source for an additional oko odyessey as I like multi use.

Now to lighten my food load :p
you thought about the berky replacement filters and some clear tubing ? know alot of people that do that and you get alot more life out of it then you would a straw type filter.

myrrph..i do plan on getting the straws eventuly..but the bottles is what i already have and can afford right now.so when i can.i'll be getting the straws.

jim: I was referring to Ken. :) get what you can afford. make your own multi stage biosand filter :) they're cheap to make. A bit bigger than a proper one but good enough plus boiling. Couple with a small bottle of iodine tincture and you're set.

Ken: Aren't berkey filters really big and wouldn't be easy to carry in your bag?

jim: I was referring to Ken. :) get what you can afford. make your own multi stage biosand filter :) they're cheap to make. A bit bigger than a proper one but good enough plus boiling. Couple with a small bottle of iodine tincture and you're set.

Ken: Aren't berkey filters really big and wouldn't be easy to carry in your bag?
How is the biosand filter? Am looking to make one here soon as an alternate water purification solution :)

I'm thinking of building a multi tier one with a soda bottle first to try. The missus won't let me try though. sigh~

I have all the components, sand, charcoal and cloth filters. I'll secretly try it this weekend when I'm alone! lol. I'll let you know tntboy13 and put pictures too if I can.

I'm thinking of building a multi tier one with a soda bottle first to try. The missus won't let me try though. sigh~

I have all the components, sand, charcoal and cloth filters. I'll secretly try it this weekend when I'm alone! lol. I'll let you know tntboy13 and put pictures too if I can.
Come on man, even my mom said I could make one.. ;) I'll prolly do it next weekend :)

I'm with Gazrok. I like metal bottles. I fill them with stuff if I can and take it out and refill wit water if I need to. If water isn't plentiful, then I'll carry a camelbak ordeal with the weight of carrying water. If I can help it, a lifestraw is my preferred "Trick". Iodine tabs work like a dandy too though. I keep meaning to try the Clean Sip but somehow I forget and end up buying a new LIfestraw.

erm. in your BOB ?
My berkey is great, and not too heavy, but that sucker is bulkey. Even stacked on itself it's probably 12inches square. It would take up 1/4 of my bob. I'd be hard pressed to leave it behind, but I think it's more for bugging in.

you guys should really look at the OKO bottles. Supplemented with a metal container, you have a really fool proof filtration system. I'm inclined to carry both actually.

and yes brent. Wives are more demanding than parents...sometimes made me regret getting married in the first place! Just kidding. lol.

Latest posts

Back