BOB/GHB Food Ideas

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to make a list of ideas for food to put in a BOB/GHB. Im not talking just throwing in stale MRE's. What would you put in your pack? Remember, it should be packed for long term storage, 6-12 month rotation. Also consider conditions such as heat and cold. I will get it started with ideas from my bag.....What can you add?

Instant coffee or tea bags
Hot chocolate packets
Lemonade/Punch drink packets
Tuna packets w/crackers
Ramon Noodle packs
Jack Link Jerky packs
Lipton Rice or Pasta packets
Instant Oatmeal Packets
Honey packs
Cliff or Granola bars
Almonds
Raisins
Salt, Pepper, Sugar packets

Also consider....
Instant Rice
Instant Potatoes (I really dont like but would eat if needed)

fyi....I carry water and 2 sterno cans. They will boil water in about 7 minutes in my metal cup. They also make a great heat source if needed in a vehicle if stranded. Being in WI, I consider eating something warm/hot just as important as food itself. It certainly is a morale booster when its cold out.

Hot chocolate doesn't have a very long shelf life....

In my case my idea is to get from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time possible. For my BOB I have the emergency ration bars and other eat on the go foods. (I do have dehydrated foods as well, but those or for if I get stuck out away from my BOL longer than planned) My goal is to not stop and have to cook. I also have Whey protein powder (buy it at a natural food store and it is about 5 bucks a pound, its flavorless though), and carbohydrate powder premixed and vacuum sealed. Its a great constant energy drink, it just tastes nasty. :)

i have starkist tuna pouches and some coleman dehydrated food. the tuna is good for on the move eating. and if i can stop and cook some thing, i can eat the coleman stuff.
i also have a few granola type food bars.

Mainstay Ration Bars (taste like an ok lemon cookie, but lots of calories, and long shelf life, and portioned). The Mountain House freeze dried bag meals are decent too, and you can cook them right in the bag. A bit above an MRE.

Of course, a couple of cans of beef stew are just a necessity. Like another poster mentioned, my goal is not to have to stop and cook though. My plan is to get home. I work pretty far from home, so quite a trek if something happens when I'm at work. But, I won't make it home in a day, and will have to sleep, so might as well cook something then.

One thing to add here...those little water enhancers, like MiO, etc. to flavor water.

1 thing I do is make like a meal kit. Like a pack of raman noodles (they don't need to be cooked) drink powder, crackers, instenet soup mix. I also do cans of things like beef stew, vegtable soups and other soups. The only problem with them is they weigh alot. I would suggest maybe 1 can, 2 tops for a BOB/GHB due to the weight of them.

I would also recommend Dehydrated vegetarian meat pellets. A 200gram box can give you almost 1kg of "meat" when hydrated.

Also, Psyllium fiber (the ones that come in a box from India). Mix this with your water and you have fiber to fill in your stomach to pacify the hunger.

I also do cans of things like beef stew, vegtable soups and other soups. The only problem with them is they weigh alot. I would suggest maybe 1 can, 2 tops for a BOB/GHB due to the weight of them.

Yes people forget the weight factor. I agree w/ you on limiting them to 1 or 2. I try to stick with the instant soups. Also make sure it is a soup that you like. Also another items is bouillon cubes. Can be dropped into hot water for a drink/soup or added to instant rice for flavoring.

I go with ramen noodles, instant coffee, power bars, instant soup, 1 can of chicken and some flavored drink mix.

For my GHB I've recently redone it (thanks school....) so I've had to think light as well as keep it "nut free" I've gone through it and removed a lot of things from it because I found that they weighed too much. The food you pack will depend on you and for how long you will be bugging out for. For example my 1 month plan will be different than your 3 day plan so the food will be different right?

I thought it would be interesting to make a list of ideas for food to put in a BOB/GHB. Im not talking just throwing in stale MRE's. What would you put in your pack? Remember, it should be packed for long term storage, 6-12 month rotation. Also consider conditions such as heat and cold. I will get it started with ideas from my bag.....What can you add?

Hot chocolate packets
Tuna packets w/crackers
Ramon Noodle packs
Jack Link Jerky packs
Instant Oatmeal Packets
Honey packs
Cliff or Granola bars
Almonds
Raisins

Also consider....
Instant Rice

fyi....I carry water and 2 sterno cans. They will boil water in about 7 minutes in my metal cup. They also make a great heat source if needed in a vehicle if stranded. Being in WI, I consider eating something warm/hot just as important as food itself. It certainly is a morale booster when its cold out.
moral booster and it brings up your core temperature!

Hot chocolate packets
Tuna packets w/crackers
Ramon Noodle packs
Jack Link Jerky packs
Instant Oatmeal Packets
Honey packs
Cliff or Granola bars
Almonds
Raisins

Also consider....
Instant Rice

i have many of the things you posted but i also have sardines in packets they have around a 3 year shelflife

Hot chocolate packets
Tuna packets w/crackers
Ramon Noodle packs
Jack Link Jerky packs
Instant Oatmeal Packets
Honey packs
Cliff or Granola bars
Almonds
Raisins

Also consider....
Instant Rice

been pondering on this a while i recently purchased a very nice food dehydrator with a blower it gets the job done in about 4 hours tops depending on what your dehydrating banana's ,veggies,any type of meat, u can even dehydrate entire entree's like - chicken and veggies then put them in a sealable containers with rice or dry pasta and some spices for an over the fire chicken soup!

Latest posts

Back