Bleach

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I have been seeing and reading more and more folks stock up (by the cases) on bleach for disinfecting water, save your money, bleach has a short shelf life 4 to 6 month from the time it was manufactured if it is stored between 65 and 70deg, if bleach is older then 5 months it is not a reliable water disinfectant!

Last edited:
I have seen where some are storeing up on pool chemicals for water treatment . I would have to do more home work on that subject before I added this to my prepps .

I have been seeing and reading more and more folks stock up (by the cases) on bleach for disinfecting water, save your money, bleach has a short shelf life 4 to 6 month from the time it was manufactured if it is stored between 65 and 70deg if bleach is older then 5 months it is not a reliable water disinfectant!
I have seen where some are storeing up on pool chemicals for water treatment . I would have to do more home work on that subject before I added this to my prepps .

Hey guys...yesterday, I posted in the thread the How To: A pdf on using pool HTH for water treatment. With the proper dilution and some test strips that read the total free chlorine release, you can make the Clorox bleach then add it to the right quantities of water. Just have to remember to filter the water using a coffee filter. Of course, you can make a home-made water filter as we've discussed in the past and save some time. I just stock the stuff because I have a pool and because I am pretty familiar with using it not only to treat water, but also as a disinfectant for bioterrorism events.

Well the wife is pleading me to watch that Bear Grilz crap...so need to hold her hand as she watches Ben Stiller tonight. lol...who needs Bear Grilz, when they have us...lol.

Later hope all is well with you both.

I have been seeing and reading more and more folks stock up (by the cases) on bleach for disinfecting water, save your money, bleach has a short shelf life 4 to 6 month from the time it was manufactured if it is stored between 65 and 70deg if bleach is older then 5 months it is not a reliable water disinfectant!

I just posted yesterday or the day before about the short life of liquid bleach. The bleach that will clean water (to a certain extent) has the primary ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite. I have heard that this can be purchased in a powdered form but couldn't find it anywhere until I got a facebook link for the pool chemical granules. They are Sodium Hypochlorite. But you MUST know first how to make the granules into liquid bleach, then use the proper amounts to disinfect your water. I think I posted the link for those instructions. I know I printed it out for myself but I'm too lazy to get up and go in the other room to get the printout right now. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" though so having those instructions on hand is very important before throwing bleach in your water.

Hey guys...yesterday, I posted in the thread the How To: A pdf on using pool HTH for water treatment. With the proper dilution and some test strips that read the total free chlorine release, you can make the Clorox bleach then add it to the right quantities of water. Just have to remember to filter the water using a coffee filter. Of course, you can make a home-made water filter as we've discussed in the past and save some time. I just stock the stuff because I have a pool and because I am pretty familiar with using it not only to treat water, but also as a disinfectant for bioterrorism events.

Well the wife is pleading me to watch that Bear Grilz crap...so need to hold her hand as she watches Ben Stiller tonight. lol...who needs Bear Grilz, when they have us...lol.

Bob, is there a water test strip available that will tell you what exactly is contaminating your water? I know that's probably hoping for too much. I collect rain water in 5 gallon pickle buckets right now that I use for watering my garden. If I had to drink it, I'm not sure that I could bring myself to do it, even though I have bleach and/or water purification tablets.

This was from our member Brent. . . yes, I had to save it cause it is so cheap to buy the hydro 59 cents or so. . . can't remember where he first posted it so can't link it. I am still currently using the bleach I have on stock, but I do plan on using this recipe in the future to see how it does. My lemons will be fully ripe in a couple more months. I go thru a couple gallons a week.

Make Your own bleach

Just mix: 3 quarts fresh water (spring water is best) with 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best, but the bottled stuff works in a pinch) and add 1 cup hydrogen peroxide (the kind that you find at the drugstore).

We also use the pool shock for our septic tanks and M&D has it on sale right now for a really good price. . . going to have to check that one out

This was from our member Brent. . . yes, I had to save it cause it is so cheap to buy the hydro 59 cents or so. . . can't remember where he first posted it so can't link it. I am still currently using the bleach I have on stock, but I do plan on using this recipe in the future to see how it does. My lemons will be fully ripe in a couple more months. I go thru a couple gallons a week.

Make Your own bleach

Just mix: 3 quarts fresh water (spring water is best) with 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best, but the bottled stuff works in a pinch) and add 1 cup hydrogen peroxide (the kind that you find at the drugstore).
I can see that for use in the laundry, but does it clean water like sodium hypochlorite does?

it doesn't kill listeria monocytogenes one of the big threes to qualify as a disinfectant

Make Your own bleach

it doesn't kill listeria monocytogenes one of the big threes to qualify as a disinfectant

I just posted yesterday or the day before about the short life of liquid bleach. The bleach that will clean water (to a certain extent) has the primary ingredient Sodium Hypochlorite. I have heard that this can be purchased in a powdered form but couldn't find it anywhere until I got a facebook link for the pool chemical granules. They are Sodium Hypochlorite. But you MUST know first how to make the granules into liquid bleach, then use the proper amounts to disinfect your water. I think I posted the link for those instructions. I know I printed it out for myself but I'm too lazy to get up and go in the other room to get the printout right now. There is such a thing as "too much of a good thing" though so having those instructions on hand is very important before throwing bleach in your water.

Bob, is there a water test strip available that will tell you what exactly is contaminating your water? I know that's probably hoping for too much. I collect rain water in 5 gallon pickle buckets right now that I use for watering my garden. If I had to drink it, I'm not sure that I could bring myself to do it, even though I have bleach and/or water purification tablets.

I have about 4 of these test kits in my water go box. It test for ph level, lead/pesticides, nitrite/nitrate levels, chlorine and has one bacti test. Its pretty expensive at $25 per kit, but its fast, from sample to results it took me about 15 minutes. Their add claims less time, but I guess I wanted to be very thorough. This kit does not check for Arsenic though...not sure if you have it in your area, but I've found traces in some of the water samples I've pulled in exercises around the U.S.

WaterSafekit_2w.jpg

First Alert sells something similar to the above kit, but I have never bought it.

A firm called Pro-lab puts out a group of 3 test kits at 10 dollars a pop, they have different tests, so you need to order both. I do like their Pesticide, E-coli test kits though. Very accurate to use.
http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp

The typical what I call over the counter test strips just test for chlorine, some other chemicals. The leader in water testing strips are made by Merckmillipore. Just remember I am not a Environmental Hygienist, my water testing knowledge is based on scoop and quantitative testing, not qualitative testing...so their is a bunch I miss, best advice is to have your state EPA lab test it before hand. Their are private companies that do water well testing too.

I have about 4 of these test kits in my water go box. It test for ph level, lead/pesticides, nitrite/nitrate levels, chlorine and has one bacti test. Its pretty expensive at $25 per kit, but its fast, from sample to results it took me about 15 minutes. Their add claims less time, but I guess I wanted to be very thorough. This kit does not check for Arsenic though...not sure if you have it in your area, but I've found traces in some of the water samples I've pulled in exercises around the U.S.

First Alert sells something similar to the above kit, but I have never bought it.

A firm called Pro-lab puts out a group of 3 test kits at 10 dollars a pop, they have different tests, so you need to order both. I do like their Pesticide, E-coli test kits though. Very accurate to use.
http://www.prolabinc.com/products.asp

The typical what I call over the counter test strips just test for chlorine, some other chemicals. The leader in water testing strips are made by Merckmillipore. Just remember I am not a Environmental Hygienist, my water testing knowledge is based on scoop and quantitative testing, not qualitative testing...so their is a bunch I miss, best advice is to have your state EPA lab test it before hand. Their are private companies that do water well testing too.

Am I correct in assuming these are one time use only? And I'm only concerned in a SHTF situation where I won't be able to have anyone else test the water first.

Am I correct in assuming these are one time use only? And I'm only concerned in a SHTF situation where I won't be able to have anyone else test the water first.

Your correct, they are one time use. The Prolab ones have a few more test kits in each one...but its a one and done kit. I used them on the ground water sources of the two BOL sites. Ran the tests and then pulled some samples with Millipore bags, then sent samples to reference laboratory...for further confirmation. While the reference lab report was more detailed, they hit the mark on the pesticide levels, e-coli and nitrite/nitrate levels. So for me, it was worth the cost. I know it might be a bit expensive for some and some might be looking for a cheaper test strip...the Millipore test strips are not cheap, specific to each test ran, but come with more test strips based on each test.

Your correct, they are one time use. The Prolab ones have a few more test kits in each one...but its a one and done kit. I used them on the ground water sources of the two BOL sites. Ran the tests and then pulled some samples with Millipore bags, then sent samples to reference laboratory...for further confirmation. While the reference lab report was more detailed, they hit the mark on the pesticide levels, e-coli and nitrite/nitrate levels. So for me, it was worth the cost. I know it might be a bit expensive for some and some might be looking for a cheaper test strip...the Millipore test strips are not cheap, specific to each test ran, but come with more test strips based on each test.
I don't have a well or large bodies of water nearby to test. I suspect if it comes down to me needing to drink the water in my rain barrels, I'll have to use the bleach and then the water purification tablets. If possible, I'll boil it first. Another case of the "3's"

Well, I'm screwed already since I drink raw milk & eat raw veggies, cheese, chicken, ice cream, etc.. where the L monocytgenes can enter the body after ingesting. :)

Well, I'm screwed already since I drink raw milk & eat raw veggies, cheese, chicken, ice cream, etc.. where the L monocytgenes can enter the body after ingesting. :)

Some days you and Maverick really do worry me...:) I really don't like that bug. Didn't you two pull down that Dairy PDF that I posted in the Food forum? I need to also find you that French Test kit I used in Saudi, it tests all the bad bacteria's in food/dairy.

Some days you and Maverick really do worry me...:) I really don't like that bug. Didn't you two pull down that Dairy PDF that I posted in the Food forum? I need to also find you that French Test kit I used in Saudi, it tests all the bad bacteria's in food/dairy.
I just think that the FDA is overkilling on some of there restrictions. . . I do totally agree with sanitizing cleanup in the barns with bleach, which I do. I also retrain all my milk products, but we do drink it raw. You can get multiple diseases from dairy product and even vegetables grown. . . you can only do the best you can with sanitizing and you can't bleach your produce. Thing is people get this regardless of producing/growing their own or buying it at the stores. I have never had this issue at home, but it does happen. We get recalls on food all the time from the grocery stores. You don't have to worry about me at all cause I know I am not going to eat anything that is going to put me at a risk. I will never use an animal fertilizer when I know that it is sick and if a goat/cow is sick, you still milk to keep up the production, but you do not drink it. You medicate and then once well, you still have to wait 30 days to start saving it once again. I take precautions, but I also believe that all these people who are germ freaks are more at risk than I am. Just my thoughts

I just think that the FDA is overkilling on some of there restrictions. . . I do totally agree with sanitizing cleanup in the barns with bleach, which I do. I also retrain all my milk products, but we do drink it raw. You can get multiple diseases from dairy product and even vegetables grown. . . you can only do the best you can with sanitizing and you can't bleach your produce. Thing is people get this regardless of producing/growing their own or buying it at the stores. I have never had this issue at home, but it does happen. We get recalls on food all the time from the grocery stores. You don't have to worry about me at all cause I know I am not going to eat anything that is going to put me at a risk. I will never use an animal fertilizer when I know that it is sick and if a goat/cow is sick, you still milk to keep up the production, but you do not drink it. You medicate and then once well, you still have to wait 30 days to start saving it once again. I take precautions, but I also believe that all these people who are germ freaks are more at risk than I am. Just my thoughts

I am sure you'd pass most of the inspections that are deemed necessary by health officials. I've got to say, I've seen worse when I toured slaughter houses in Kansas. Heck even the farmer, I worked for in the 70's possibly didn't work as hard as you do! I just don't like that bug. Of course, your spot on with most of your processes that you've shared with me. Can't I worry about my friends?

Ok, I would totally fail by FDA standards. . . but yes, of coarse you can still worry about your friends. It's one of those likeable things about you. :)

Latest posts

Back