Bleach

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strain all my milk! retrain. . .
I retrain my milk, too, Danil.... ;) It's probably not an approved method. I strain it through a piece of muslin left over from a quilting project to get out any hairs my girls shed while I'm milking them. That does zero for removing germs. Hey, I wonder what would happen if I put it through something like a Lifestraw. Would that strain everything but the water out of it?
I won't pasteurize my milk because I don't have a way of cooling it quickly enough for it to taste drinkable afterwards. And, more importantly, because pasteurization kills the good stuff right along with the bad stuff. I wash my girls with disinfecting wipes before milking them. That's the only part of it they don't like.
I wash all of my vegetables with a mix of distilled water, vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice and leave it on them for about 30 minutes. I use goat and chicken manure in my garden. Some of those veggies lay in that and they need to be CLEAN before I eat them.
I'm with you, though, Danil, about germ freaks being more at risk than me. I could probably be more sanitary than I am but I don't want my immune system to get lazy and then one day get startled and overwhelmed by something big.

I retrain my milk, too, Danil.... ;) It's probably not an approved method. I strain it through a piece of muslin left over from a quilting project to get out any hairs my girls shed while I'm milking them. That does zero for removing germs. Hey, I wonder what would happen if I put it through something like a Lifestraw. Would that strain everything but the water out of it?
I won't pasteurize my milk because I don't have a way of cooling it quickly enough for it to taste drinkable afterwards. And, more importantly, because pasteurization kills the good stuff right along with the bad stuff. I wash my girls with disinfecting wipes before milking them. That's the only part of it they don't like.
I wash all of my vegetables with a mix of distilled water, vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice and leave it on them for about 30 minutes. I use goat and chicken manure in my garden. Some of those veggies lay in that and they need to be CLEAN before I eat them.
I'm with you, though, Danil, about germ freaks being more at risk than me. I could probably be more sanitary than I am but I don't want my immune system to get lazy and then one day get startled and overwhelmed by something big.
I wash teats down with a bleach/water solution after washing all the dirt away (mainly with the cow on the hose thing/ goat just tend to be cleaner in that area. Cows tend to lay in the mud if they can find it to keep flies away.) I have multiple strainer cloths. . some are muslin and others are just plain white tees that have been cut up. I throw these into the washer and add in bleach only to wash up. (After straining jersey milk, they have a high butter fat and will make your cloth feel slick after using). . . you never want to add in detergent for those who are reading this post and not familiar with this process.

I do use my chicken and donkey manure in the garden, but I live in the south and we do tend to get worms in goats around here if not properly wormed, so I do take a precaution on that one. The donkey and chicken manure is the best around here and I do mix it into the compost pile that I let sit for a year before using. We get the free compost from the city and it is not so 'composted' so I like to add in different additives to make it what I want.

In my head pasteurization and homonigizing is a waist of time, but I know that some think otherwise, and that is okay for them. I do and live how I want and they can do the same. When making cheese, it is actually better to use raw since you can use 25-50% less rennet and cultures

I wash teats down with a bleach/water solution after washing all the dirt away (mainly with the cow on the hose thing/ goat just tend to be cleaner in that area. Cows tend to lay in the mud if they can find it to keep flies away.) I have multiple strainer cloths. . some are muslin and others are just plain white tees that have been cut up. I throw these into the washer and add in bleach only to wash up. (After straining jersey milk, they have a high butter fat and will make your cloth feel slick after using). . . you never want to add in detergent for those who are reading this post and not familiar with this process.

I do use my chicken and donkey manure in the garden, but I live in the south and we do tend to get worms in goats around here if not properly wormed, so I do take a precaution on that one. The donkey and chicken manure is the best around here and I do mix it into the compost pile that I let sit for a year before using. We get the free compost from the city and it is not so 'composted' so I like to add in different additives to make it what I want.

In my head pasteurization and homonigizing is a waist of time, but I know that some think otherwise, and that is okay for them. I do and live how I want and they can do the same. When making cheese, it is actually better to use raw since you can use 25-50% less rennet and cultures
From what I have learned about pasteurization and homogenizing, while they are intended to kill bad bacteria (which you only get from unclean practices), they also kill all the good bacteria and nutrients. In commercial dairy products, they add those nutrients back in to the milk via a chemical base. It makes me nauseous now to look at milk in the grocery store.

Latest posts

Back