Blackouts Loom in California as Electricity Prices Are ‘Absolutely Exploding’

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great. I hope the prices triple. Maybe then the citizens will start demanding the deportation of millions of illegals. Then put a moratorium on anyone moving in to the state until this crisis is over. The problems that they created are really very simple to fix, if they would elect politicians with a backbone to do whats necessary. Theres just to GD many people right now for the limited resources available.

California restructured energy rates a few years ago (the Public Utilities Commission did). Blue State California is along the coast. Red State California is inland. California made rates on the coast cheaper and rates inland more expensive. What a shock, right?

But now we have a face to pin on all California energy/fire/drug/illegal alien/"homeless" issues. That face is Gavin Newsom.

What I wonder is if having your own generator would be cheaper than being online with the public service? And could you use a generator and say no to the public service? If I was stuck in California, I think I would be considering my options.
Generally, no. But with the right fuel or mechanical power source (wind, hydro etc.) and the right system, maybe.
Hydro or geothermal are the most dependable since they are always "on."

I thought I read that Newsom was considering charging "those that can afford it" more, and those that can't very little. That would mean the illegals would probably not get a bill.

That would be the argument Bill Maher has been making.
He pays like in the 30-40% tax rate. He thinks he pays enough.
Yet, other Dems think he does not pay his fair share.
He has stated that if they go to make him pay more, he will leave the Dems.
And I think the majority of the middle class would go with him.

Just like the majority of the biological females who suddenly find themselves competing against biological males in sports would change their vote to conservative.

What I wonder is if having your own generator would be cheaper than being online with the public service? And could you use a generator and say no to the public service? If I was stuck in California, I think I would be considering my options.
That depends. How much power do you need? How many years would you amortize the upfront cost of your generator? Would you go with propane, gas, or diesel? What is your local utility rates? Would your power company allow you to disconnect from the grid? Years ago I had a place in the mountains and I went "off grid" 100%. There was an electric box on my property. The utility company tried billing me a minimum monthly rate even though I wasn't using any electric. After a long fight, where I threatened to remove their electric box with my tractor, they backed down.
Currently I have, gas, propane and diesel generators. The diesel is by far the cheapest generator to operate, for me. My propane generator is rated at 2.1 gph. My diesel uses less than 1/2 gallon per hour. I buy off road diesel in bulk. There's no tax on off road diesel.

Newscum is still the best name for him.
One of my preps against this Electricity fiasco, is My 1k propane tank. Quick connect hose to my bifuel Gen.
Called for my once a year propane fill. $8 a gallon!!!??? Will buy a 250 gallon tankI can transport before I pay that highway robbery.

Governor Numbnuts’ house doesn’t seem to be suffering from electricity blackouts....

newsom-1.jpg

Where I lived before we had outages all the time. A generator will get you through the rough spots until the power comes back on. We went three or four days once in January with several feet of standing snow. You really can't live indefinitely on a small generator though. You need a set up like Amish Heart is getting.

Where I lived before we had outages all the time. A generator will get you through the rough spots until the power comes back on. We went three or four days once in January with several feet of standing snow. You really can't live indefinitely on a small generator though. You need a set up like Amish Heart is getting.

We had 4 days without power once because a transformer failed in Arizona. Most of the houses in my rural area were dark, darker and darkest.

Newscum is still the best name for him.
One of my preps against this Electricity fiasco, is My 1k propane tank. Quick connect hose to my bifuel Gen.
Called for my once a year propane fill. $8 a gallon!!!??? Will buy a 250 gallon tankI can transport before I pay that highway robbery.

Damh, I'm glad I got my tanks filled at $2.59 gallon

Yeah, if it ever comes. That generac is still not here.
Meanwhile we can just do things like my cousins do here without electricity. Their solution to no air con though is a Millertech fan. Better than nothing. We can currently run anything a car battery and a converter can run.

Geez guys, if you can just go off grid. It will cost a few $ to set up and overall may not be cheaper than the grid depending on where you live, but at least you will be independent.

Surely this is prepping 101.
I'm 100% off grid. Nearest power is about 6 miles away so in my case there wasn't any other option. I have solar that provides most of my power to the house, shop and fur shed, plus a 12 kw Perkins generator with auto start. When the battery bank drops below a pre set voltage the generator automatically starts.
My well is 650' deep and a quarter mile from the house. I have a 5 hp pump @ 15 gpm. Its on a separate generator. I recently bought a Winco 12 kw propane generator with auto start. It'll be wired in to the pressure switch to start when the tank pressure drops. I'm going to get a 250 propane tank and plumb the generator and the pump house heater. The barn has a generator too but I seldom need it.
This system wasn't cheap. Just in generators alone I have probably $20,000 invested, and the whole project around $60,000 so far. It has been reliable and we are independent.
I think theres still a federal 30% tax credit on solar installations.

Latest posts

Back