Bit of a random question- poison hemlock

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badwolf

Reaction score
I don’t know if this is the place to ask but I was just trying to see if anyone had dealt with poison hemlock in their yard. We moved into a house and the yard is covered with it, especially right over where our well is. We aren’t too keen on doing hard chemicals, but will. Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with it and what worked for you. Thanks! Sorry if this isn’t in the right spot.

I have a bad infestation of poison hemlock In my 3/4 ac chicken yard. Been battling it for 3 years. Messed up one my dogs neurologically when I sent him in to flush some quail.
Here are some of the things I have learned.
Its a 2 year plant. First year rosette stage. Can control with 2-4-d somewhat In this stage. 2nd year flowering stage-you need a heavy hitter Herbicide.
Seeds remain viable for 2-4 years. So it is a constant battle. I spray a heavy hitter a couple times a year to try to control.
Even old stalks contain poison for a couple of years, so not a good idea to try to weed whack.
Good luck!

Just to give you an idea. You can see some of the old stalks
IMG_0129.jpeg

And you can see some of the second year ones
IMG_0130.jpeg

Everything was a lush green 10 days ago.

Poison and burn. As EW said, it's a constant battle. We had it when we lived in Alaska. I'd mow it with a brush hog, spray any new growth, then burn everything when it dried out. Most likely you'll never get rid of it completely, especially if it's on your neighboring property too, but you can control it.

I have a bad infestation of poison hemlock In my 3/4 ac chicken yard. Been battling it for 3 years. Messed up one my dogs neurologically when I sent him in to flush some quail.
Here are some of the things I have learned.
Its a 2 year plant. First year rosette stage. Can control with 2-4-d somewhat In this stage. 2nd year flowering stage-you need a heavy hitter Herbicide.
Seeds remain viable for 2-4 years. So it is a constant battle. I spray a heavy hitter a couple times a year to try to control.
Even old stalks contain poison for a couple of years, so not a good idea to try to weed whack.
Good luck!
Yeah we have 6 dogs and one of ours just had a neurological episode that they don’t know why and now we’re wondering if she got into it and we didn’t even realize it. Thanks so much for all the info.

I never cared much for dangerous herbicides, but as someone who has been unfortunate enough to live for a while without running water, I can tell you the #1 best way to safely kill EVERYTHING green. You don't need glyphosate, you don't need meth lab waste, you just need nitrogen. Too much of it. If I can pee off my deck for one winter and have a 4 year dead spot devoid of all plant life, there is a good chance hemlock won't survive that either. Mix up a ridiculous batch of urea or potassium nitrate and feed it entirely too much on purpose.

Out of all the greenthumbs out there that know how to keep plants alive, nobody thinks to kill plants that way. I annihilated a patch of poison ivy that way, and I won't be getting cancer from my efforts.

I never cared much for dangerous herbicides, but as someone who has been unfortunate enough to live for a while without running water, I can tell you the #1 best way to safely kill EVERYTHING green. You don't need glyphosate, you don't need meth lab waste, you just need nitrogen. Too much of it. If I can pee off my deck for one winter and have a 4 year dead spot devoid of all plant life, there is a good chance hemlock won't survive that either. Mix up a ridiculous batch of urea or potassium nitrate and feed it entirely too much on purpose.

Out of all the greenthumbs out there that know how to keep plants alive, nobody thinks to kill plants that way. I annihilated a patch of poison ivy that way, and I won't be getting cancer from my efforts.
2-4-D will catch it in the rosett stadge. 2-4-D is basically a plant hormone. I do not consider it in the classification of Glyphosate. I used to sell chemicals.
My wife in the 90’s participated in Glyphosate studies in the 90’s while in Vet school. She says the lawsuits on Glyphosate are based on false science.
I get a very narrow list of Chemicals that I can use around here. Glyphosate, 2-4-D, certain rodent poisons are on my approved list.
You can trust the “Science”.
I will trust my Sciientist.

You don't need glyphosate, you don't need meth lab waste, you just need nitrogen. Too much of it. If I can pee off my deck for one winter and have a 4 year dead spot devoid of all plant life, there is a good chance hemlock won't survive that either. Mix up a ridiculous batch of urea or potassium nitrate and feed it entirely too much on purpose.
I quickly killed a tomato plant that way. But there is this bush I've been peeing on out back for years and it doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.

2-4-D will catch it in the rosett stadge. 2-4-D is basically a plant hormone. I do not consider it in the classification of Glyphosate. I used to sell chemicals.
My wife in the 90’s participated in Glyphosate studies in the 90’s while in Vet school. She says the lawsuits on Glyphosate are based on false science.
I get a very narrow list of Chemicals that I can use around here. Glyphosate, 2-4-D, certain rodent poisons are on my approved list.
You can trust the “Science”.
I will trust my Sciientist.
I would like to know more about the glyphosate studies. Did they focus on cancer potential or was there another purpose to the study?

Some weed killers containing glysophate were indeed found to be carcinogenic which was the basis of people with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma suing Monsanto. However it wasn't the glysophate itself that was carcinogenic but something else in the weed killers. Not saying glysophate is safe, just that they have now pretty well ruled it out as being carcinogenic. It is an endocrine disruptor.
https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/go/glyphosatehttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5515989/Bayer, Monsanto's parent company is pulling glysophate off the market. Problem is that what they are replacing it with may be even worse for humans.

I would like to know more about the glyphosate studies. Did they focus on cancer potential or was there another purpose to the study?
Her portion was toxicity for small animals. It was a part of an AG school study. Since this she had an interest in Glyphosate and reads the NEJM studies.

Latest posts

Back