Birth after SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any of the ladies prepping for this?

Being married to a midwife, birth and everything about birth is a constant subject in the household. I look at birth pictures at dinner, no lie. Not every time lol, but enough of the time.

I help my wife by being an IV start dummy, I help prepare placenta for encapsulation, I read the latest literature and help her prepare for tests and upcoming classes.

We have a ton of first aid supplies, with her stuff and my stuff (more trauma related) I don't really need to prep much for first aid.

Any of the ladies here on the board doula's? Prepping for homebirth?

It's not really something I've thought about or plan for, but I would be happy to act as 'catcher' if the need arose. I would however be reading the Ship's Captain's Medical Guide at the same time.

It is something to think about. . . . I've never help with the delivery of a human baby before except for the birth of my own and I was with trained people who knew what they were doing thank goodness! Only birthing I have had to actually assist with have been with the goats. . . Reaching in to pull a stillborn when mom hasn't gone into labor is not something I want to do. You know by the smell. It's not pleasant.

with all the boys having kids of their own now, I would defiantly play catcher if I had to like Sally. You do what you have to do. Let's just hope I don't have to pull out my goat book to look up how to deliver a breech. . .

Be going back to the early days is all. Biggest issues is sanitary and internal bleeding causing Mothers death, sanitary can be easily solved, internal bleeding not so much and perhaps the biggest hurdle. Then you have issues in recognizing when a cesarean section is the only viable option and without an equipped medical staff were going to see more babies and mothers death then add lack of anesthetic to the hurdle. Don't get me wrong a midwife is a blessing but very limited in scope.

modern medicine has improved leaps and bounds in the last 100 years but when weren't babies being born??????,,,,mankind will still survive even if mom can't go to the local hospital for the birth of Jr.

I could do it if I had to, I would be the one out of the group. But it is not my expertise. I know of what not to do better than what to do if there were complications, but uncomplicated home birth, not an issue. Complications after birth, yes that is a problem, what would you do if she continued to bleed other than massage the fundus? You don't need special supplies to help a mom in birth. Lots of easy to acquire substitutes around the house.

Latest posts

Back