Bio-diesel?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicken

Reaction score
My next truck will be a diesel, most likely a Silverado 2500HD. I am looking at possibly getting started with bio diesel as well. I was curious if anyone here is doing the bio diesel and if the cost per gallon is really as low as the web sites say it is?

bio diesel is not available at to many places !
my opinion is it is no better than regular diesel !
Wast Veggie Oil , Straight Veggie Oil , in my opinion is the way to go as lots of availability in getting it !
older diesels with a manual injection pumps are better for wast oil !
the newer computer controlled diesels wont run if a EMP hits !

Farmers used to run their tractors on vegetable oil when Diesel engines were first introduced. The government realized by doing that they could make their own fuel and stopped it. Same with ethanol. There's an old Dukes of Hazard where uncle Jesse was running the general lee off moonshine. They stopped that too.

We had a student in my AG class build a bio Diesel machine (brilliant young man) it can be done and for a low cost as well i would suggest an older model diesel to keep around so is doesn't have sensors.
http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/01/23/2774718/clover-highs-biodiesel-man-turns.htm

http://www.enquirerherald.com/2008/06/12/202362/clover-high-student-fueling-alternatives.html

but it can be done at home
ive seen the machine and it really is simple i plan on using its design to make my own when we move into our new house. This year my project is my greenhouse.

That sounds awesome. Things have certainly moved on in recent years. Here's an example of a commercially available machine. As you can see it wouldn't be that difficult to build one yourself. The potential for exploiting alternative sources of fuel are endless!

http://www.goldenray.co.uk/index.html

Just as an aside, does anyone know how long diesel can be stored for?

I've heard iindefinitly ..but I don't know that . I'll find out for sure. I've also seen people run diesel engines on keresene. They told me it was just a higher grade of diesel. I do burn diesel in oil lamps because of price and have noticed no I'll effects

Diesel engines can run on a lot of different fuels... I checked into the biodiesel bit, and while I love it for a SHTF purpose, it just doesn't seem to be practical from a per gallon cost perspective. The only way it is, is if you can actually get quality used cooking oil for free, from a restaurant. Sadly, this is largely a thing of the past, as now most can actually SELL this to companies doing much the same thing for their own vehicles. They do sell starter kits, but in my own research, the per gallon savings, for the work involved, just isn't worth it. Not to mention, you'll need two tanks for most applications. One with regular diesel fuel, and one with the biodiesel. You'll need to use the diesel fuel to start the engine, then have a heater to ensure the biodiesel is liquid before switching to that tank. My truck already has a three tank setup, and even I decided the cost just isn't worth it to do now. (though I would like to have the starter kit for a SHTF scenario).

That sounds awesome. Things have certainly moved on in recent years. Here's an example of a commercially available machine. As you can see it wouldn't be that difficult to build one yourself. The potential for exploiting alternative sources of fuel are endless!

http://www.goldenray.co.uk/index.html

Just as an aside, does anyone know how long diesel can be stored for?

6-12 months, depending on lots of factors. But, there are additives you can get to bring it back up to usable (even after much longer time periods). The brand name is escaping me at the moment, but the best thing to do is simply use it and rotate through it, always keeping a fresh stockpile.

diesel lasts much longer than that. There's boats in 3rd world countries, running off of diesel that sat around in drums for many years. But it gets a lot of condensation in it, so you have to be able to filter out that water.

diesel lasts much longer than that. There's boats in 3rd world countries, running off of diesel that sat around in drums for many years. But it gets a lot of condensation in it, so you have to be able to filter out that water.

6-12 months without treatment. ;)

Of course it will last longer after being treated. But, just sitting around in drums, after a year or so, (and according to just about any reference on it), you'll have a hard time starting anything with it if it hasn't been treated in some way (filtered, Sta-Bil, etc.). Products like Sta-Bil have been used to treat 10 year old diesel and then have it be usable. But untreated, 6-12 months. Again, there are a lot of factors (temperature, moisture, etc., etc.) that can affect it.

If you have a large stand of several coconut trees, you can actually create your own coconut cooking oil which in turn can be used for your vehicle. My current stand at my BOL is about 30 trees. Every two weeks, we are able to harvest around 100 coconuts.

Interesting. Coconut will grow with no problem here.

I like... I am learning a lot ... Things I could do if I had money to blow on big things... a lass I will have to wait and settle for a cheap SUV that can be paid off easy and quick DEBT is my focus right now... if I get the job I want I will have enough to pay down my mom's house, buy a car for her, a cheap thing for me to replace this technosavy car of mine that cost way to much... and still have some left over for :) projects... mmm projects good. I have so many wants I dont know what I would invest in first.

Wood gas. A woodgas system is roughly the size of 2 garage cans stacked on top of each other with a 3rd on its side. Wood gas runs on wood chips. And can easily be fitted on to combustion engines including diesel. Down sides are u probably need to fit it in the bed of an old truck. Due to chances of it seizing double overhead cams are not recommended and is best with 4 and 6 cylinders. Some DIYers make 3c motors. A wood gas converted truck could power an electrical generator. Or u could just make a wood gas stand alone motor to run a generator or alternators whatever. Farmers and 3rd world countries used to make DIY wood gas set ups. Look into it if you have access to trees.

I believe as long as you have sufficient toxic content in ethanol ("denatured") you can legally distill it without a license. The old "battery acid in the mash" method of hydrolyzing cellulose will produce enough methanol to make it legal (standard methanol content of denatured alcohol is 10%)

You'll be able to run a normal engine, but at lower efficiency, and after a while it can eat away fuel lines and cause other types of corrosion at various places in the engine. So it's a temporary solution at best. Unless you have a "Flex Fuel" vehicle...

Latest posts

Back