Bicycles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to get some opinions on this. Picked up a mountain bike at the thrift store for 17.00. Might be easier to get the family out on bike than in a car.
You diffently can cover some ground on a bike and trails cars cant go on. Can't go wrong with back up.

You'd have to figure out a way to keep from getting flats...otherwise I think they would work well for an athletic family.

Absolutly a possibility, but I have said it before and I will again, you will be safest making a break for it, along with everyone else, as soon as the emergency as possible. Then you will be considered a victim in the area that has to absorb transplants. After the third day you will just be another one of them horde, as the resources in even the area that wasnt effected is drained of its own, The closer you can stay to the outside of the ripple the better off you will be. If you dont have the resources to stay where you are indefinitly, You have to recognise the help is on the outside of the farthest ripple, having to work itself back in. Average person can walk less than 10 miles a day, on a bike you could get as much as twice that. even if you walk it up all grades, and coast on it on all declines.
If you have to bug out, a bike would be an asset., although, other people will see the value of it as well, and have no moral issues trying to take it from you. Human nature 101.

I think the biggest value in it would be the ability to strap on more of the load( supplies, young kids, ect.) it would even make the walking faster/easier if the burden of possesions, were not on your back. The assets still out weigh the liabilitys on a bike, as a backup. Redundancy is the greatest thought pattern, a backup plan for every backup plan.

Thought of that already tube patches and fix a flat.
I would suggest you buying very nice, (read: expensive) bicycle tires that are puncture resistant. You don't want to be patching a tire when someone is chasing you...

Absolutly a possibility, but I have said it before and I will again, you will be safest making a break for it, along with everyone else, as soon as the emergency as possible. Then you will be considered a victim in the area that has to absorb transplants. After the third day you will just be another one of them horde, as the resources in even the area that wasnt effected is drained of its own, The closer you can stay to the outside of the ripple the better off you will be. If you dont have the resources to stay where you are indefinitly, You have to recognise the help is on the outside of the farthest ripple, having to work itself back in. Average person can walk less than 10 miles a day, on a bike you could get as much as twice that. even if you walk it up all grades, and coast on it on all declines.
If you have to bug out, a bike would be an asset., although, other people will see the value of it as well, and have no moral issues trying to take it from you. Human nature 101.
See your point.The bikes will be used as a back up for when the truck or the rv is out of gas or to use for scouting once I'm at my location.

In not so hardcore situation, no fuel supplies, or truck was totaled. I think it is worth it.

its a mongoose full suspension mountain bike. Now I'm thinking of getting a bike trailer to help with the hauling
Get the ones that are meant to have kids on them, used off of Craigslist, strip it down and make it happen! I would also suggest you make your rear suspension solid or as stiff as possible, there is a lot of wasted energy in a rear shock.

its a mongoose full suspension mountain bike. Now I'm thinking of getting a bike trailer to help with the hauling
Cool that will work, I took one of those kid trailers, striped it down, put a diamond plate to make a mini flat bed. You can pick those up next to nothing. i will send a pic tomorrow.

well as a backup I would give it so much more after some thought. imagine your posetions in a shopping cart, or a wheel barrow.
a wheel barrow still has to be carried, as the weight is distributed between wheels in the front, and the handles, a smart person could rig a strap to transfer weight from the handles to shoulders but would still be a tough walk. shopping cart, would be better as long as you were on pavement, and as long as no cars have the road blocked up....... have you ever tried to push something with 4 inch wheels on gravel, or grass. sucks.
The bike has big tires, even loaded, say 200 lbs of stuff strapped to it, a person could easily guide it with thier left hand when on the right of it, and the oposite from other side, 1 giving one side a rest as you switch, 2 even as a person tires, it could be leaned into more, as long as your legs worked you could continue forwards. 3 even if a party in the group is hurt, others in the party could hold them on it, and continue. Way better than trying to carry someone. Think you are up for that get 2 buddys, get 1 of them to help you carry the other 1 even 500 feet.

I would give a bike in some bug out situations, a big fat 8.5, a good backup, I wouldnt give anything more than a 9 if it makes you feel better.
it can be rode, it can be used as a pack horse, it can be bartered in a bind.

well as a backup I would give it so much more after some thought. imagine your posetions in a shopping cart, or a wheel barrow.
a wheel barrow still has to be carried, as the weight is distributed between wheels in the front, and the handles, a smart person could rig a strap to transfer weight from the handles to shoulders but would still be a tough walk. shopping cart, would be better as long as you were on pavement, and as long as no cars have the road blocked up....... have you ever tried to push something with 4 inch wheels on gravel, or grass. sucks.
The bike has big tires, even loaded, say 200 lbs of stuff strapped to it, a person could easily guide it with thier left hand when on the right of it, and the oposite from other side, 1 giving one side a rest as you switch, 2 even as a person tires, it could be leaned into more, as long as your legs worked you could continue forwards. 3 even if a party in the group is hurt, others in the party could hold them on it, and continue. Way better than trying to carry someone. Think you are up for that get 2 buddys, get 1 of them to help you carry the other 1 even 500 feet.

I would give a bike in some bug out situations, a big fat 8.5, a good backup, I wouldnt give anything more than a 9 if it makes you feel better.
Nice Hades

and with the addition of a trailer you have a way to haul more gear and tired kids. LOL

I ride my bike every day over eight miles and I love it I just took off my two stroke motor that would get me moving at 35 mph and 150 mpg that's my bug out plan gas powered bikes there fast and easy to ride and 150 mpg is the best.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352088352.040978.jpg

I ride my bike every day over eight miles and I love it I just took off my two stroke motor that would get me moving at 35 mph and 150 mpg that's my bug out plan gas powered bikes there fast and easy to ride and 150 mpg is the best. View attachment 217
wicked !! my son is in the back ground saying cheater cheater

Latest posts

Back