Bicycles

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dropship

Reaction score
When the petrol runs out in a post-apoc world we can saddle up and get out of town if we have to,.:)

Bicycles-bunches.jpg

The wheels take the weight, not your knees..:)
bicy-knees.jpg

bicy-banans.jpg

And if the zombs have roadblocked the main roads we can go cross-country..:)
bicy-off-rd.jpg

bikes-offrd.jpg

And how much can your carry to your bug out location?

I once entered a 100-mile bike ride in the dead of winter (luckily it wasn't snowing) and carried a rucksack full of food and drink and finished the course on just what I carried..:)
If vehicles aren't available because of petrol/gas/diesel shortage we'll have no choice but to pack what we can into our saddlebags. (Personally I like to use a rucksack when cycling (and no saddlebag), whatever floats yer boat.)

You are going to bicycle to where, and then set up shop with what you were carrying? What happen to the van full of food that was going to carry you over? Planning to fail again.

It depends on what type of Apocalypse/National Emergency hits us, so think flexible and adapt, improvise, overcome..:)
(And as I told you in another thread, you live in the blue state of AZ which voted against Trump and his wall so you've got zilch protection along your southern border, THAT'S a classic example of planning to fail.)

Last edited:
I thought about an electric scooter. In case my wife can’t get up the road. light enough to carry across a landslide. It would be cool to travel when she when is charging her car too.
But if we go on Vacation, we will bring the real bikes. we found a really neat Bar /Cafe in the woods to get a cocktail off our favorite path.

This is me in my cycling glory days.. :cool:

mick-cycle.jpg
My road is a 1600 ft rise over 3 miles. I have seen many a biker coughing up a lung. Cursing, Swearing, screaming at me for driving up and down my road.
My favorite thing to do is to rip off a shotgun blast when they are going 30mph downhill around blind curves past my house That I will only take my truck at 20 mph.
Go as slow as you were going up, and we won’t have an issue.

I already live in a horse and buggy/tractor community. It'll just continue.
The horse and buggy are excellent! Great transportation and can actually haul a fair amount of goods. Much more versatile than a bicycle. The horse can be ridden into areas no bicycle will be able to traverse.

It depends on what type of Apocalypse/National Emergency hits us, so think flexible and adapt, improvise, overcome..:)
(And as I told you in another thread, you live in the blue state of AZ which voted against Trump and his wall so you've got zilch protection along your southern border, THAT'S a classic example of planning to fail.)
We have constitutional carry, what you got?

post-SHTF for in-town chore runs - OK (safety pending)

bugging out? - absolute desperation "last ditch" opportunity - especially if you have a bug out or get-home pinch point like a bridge/tunnel where a bike could continue after a vehicle ditching ...

if the SHTF is bad enough that vehicle transportation is down - it's toooo dangerous to be pedaling azz down a road - goes for pushing shopping carts also ....

Last edited:
Back in the day, I used to race bicycles, Tour de France style.
A short training ride was 30 miles, including hills, a long one, 70 miles, including hills.
Nowadays I do a 13 mile ride including hills, out and back in about an hour.
I would use a bicycle as a means of transportation in the immediate area.
Is it possible to bicycle to a BOL? Sure. But anything is possible, especially if push comes to shove.
Would I do it? Only if it came to shove. But I am also at my BOL.

Depending on the type of tires, a bicycle can be nearly silent.
Depending on the terrain, someone on a bicycle can easily out pace a person on foot.
I can bicycle to the neighbors in about 10 minutes, less if I put serious effort into it.
On foot, that would take about a half an hour.

I have used a bicycle to hunt deer in the mud capitol of the world, the Mississippi Delta. I had the bike shop convert my Specialized Crosstrail to a 29er. I found a gear set with a "granny gear" LOL. The forks have just barely enough clearance for the 29er tires. It will take a moderate amount of mud but I can't go across a bean field or anything like that. Cow pastures, no problem.

Two is one and one is none. While it may not be the best thing for bugging out, it may be better than being on foot. There are small trailers that you can buy for them, or you can have a bike that has room for cargo. Out of gasoline? A bike is not a bad second option. I think many people don't think too far past current conditions. What if you had something heavy to move and needed a way to move it? A bike or two might be a great help.

Furthest I ever cycled in one day was 140 miles (Sittingbourne to Leicester) on a camping trip, it was a beautiful summers day with a slight following breeze and I could have gone on forever.
The trick is to never never never cycle up hills but to get off and push your bike up them.
Also, try not to have a fixed destination or you'll spend the day fretting about whether you're going to get there before night and will tend to push yourself too much.
Personally I just kept on going til dusk, then pulled off the road and set up my tent in a wood wherever I happened to be..:)

Another trick is to eat at the very first sign of feeling hungry, you can either munch as you pedal along, or even better stop and eat while propped up against a farm gate.
I once learnt that the hard way in my early cycle-camping days after about 50 miles when I began feeling peckish but I thought "i'll do a few more miles before stopping to eat".
Big mistake! As I pedalled along I began feeling faint with a hissing in my ears, dim vision, spots before the eyes, cold sweat, and my stomach was screaming out for food, so I staggered onto the grass verge and ate like a horse, ravenously devouring food and drink from my rucksack and was right as rain after 15 minutes.
I later found out it was something to do with low blood sugar levels and cyclists even had a name for it- "Hunger Knock" or "The Bonk"..;)

That's why racers avoid it by having small bags (musettes) of food and drink handed to them at 'feeding stations' during races to munch while pedalling-
TAIPING-MALAYSIA-APRIL-10-Cyclists-pass-through-feeding-zone-during-Stage-5-of-the-24th-Le-Tour-de-L.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back