Bic lighter mod

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt 1911

Swiss army knives / multi tools
Reaction score
Simple mod to keep your bic from accidentally being discharged. Small zip tie for the mini bic an a medium for the regular bic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131052.683504.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131067.282996.jpg

One thing to remember about bic and other disposable lighters. The flint is pretty cheap. They oxidize over time. I pulled out some bic lighters I had put away about a month ago. They were still full of fluid. I turned the striker wheel to test them. With all 3 of them the flint crumbled without throwing a spark. Dont get me wrong I love bic lighters but plan on using them and replacing them. I would not plan to keep them more than 5 years. Even less depending on climate conditions they are left in (hot car, etc...)

One thing to remember about bic and other disposable lighters. The flint is pretty cheap. They oxidize over time. I pulled out some bic lighters I had put away about a month ago. They were still full of fluid. I turned the striker wheel to test them. With all 3 of them the flint crumbled without throwing a spark. Dont get me wrong I love bic lighters but plan on using them and replacing them. I would not plan to keep them more than 5 years. Even less depending on climate conditions they are left in (hot car, etc...)

Roger that ! That is good to know. They are not my only source that is for sure.

Why not try those electronic disposable lighters that are refillable? You can replace the electric mechanism from one to the other in case they break.

I have a bunch of these lighters. When I encounter a non-refillable electric one, when it is empty, I keep the mech as a reserve.

Those are neat torches. I have two of those. IMO, the problem is that they consume too much butane when using them to start a fire.

Regular flints will work in BIC lighters, also if you put a little wd40 they won't oxidize on you. Lube up then turn up side down, yea I know it will get on wheel, but that is why you have on jeans. And don't worry if you give it some time you don't have to worry about the WD catching on fire either.

I hope you show me how to make it into a one shot flame thrower
Well, add in a can of WD-40 and..... :D

P1010180.jpg

Good old fashioned Zippo lighter, can't go wrong.

maybe puting the bic into a air thight container thts also water proof after puting the pull tie on it will work..

i keep mine rotatedby buying a packeage of 4 or 5.i keep 1 in my shirt pocket for when im siting down.thatway i dont have to dig into my pants pocket for my zippo.and 1 in the comparment of drivers door for when im driveing.other(s) keep in my bedroom untill neded.and of course i go buy some more when needed..but still need to get some for my b.o.b.

yes very true u want to keep them stored in a dry cool place!

Latest posts

Back