Helpful Info. Beyond Beans, Bullets and Band Aids

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illini Warrior

Demi-God
Banned
Reaction score
"Supplies like water, food, and medical supplies are essential during a disaster. However, these may not be enough. Research into past tragedies demonstrates that our mental resources may play a significant role in survival in emergency situations.

When we talk about a disaster plan, we often talk about stocking up on food, ammunition, and medical supplies. These things are considered to be the “backbone” of disaster preparation. In fact, there is a saying: “Beans, Bullets, and Band-Aids,” which refers to this notion.

While it is true that things like food, medical supplies, and water are critical when it comes to preparing for disaster, there is an essential component that is being left out of most disaster prep plans: mental health preparedness. Mental health is rarely mentioned in articles that talk about disaster preparation."

https://survivalblog.com/2022/05/18/beyond-beans-bullets-band-aids-todd-albertson/print/
https://survivalblog.com/2022/05/19/beyond-beans-bullets-band-aids-part-2-todd-albertson/print/

We just had a 10 hour power failure. Barely made it through. We were forced to cook on a wood stove and watch DVD's on a smaller screen. Some how our garden kept going. The river kept flowing and gas fueled engines kept running. Also we found out our printed books still worked. And guess what, We were still madly in love.

dvd's

some people over here have mental health problems with the covid lockdowns, I imagine if it was a more permanent crisis- a change of life style- most would find their mental health goes out the window.

Agreed.
Those who hid in their homes and double masked when they ventured out to face the flood of none maskers aren't going to do so well.
They'll likely hide in their homes until the food runs out and then pray the government bails them out.

I didn't notice much change in my life other than when I did make my errand weekly run into town, people looked scared of their own shadows. But, you are right. People neglect mental health aspects of prepping. I say that as a former psych major.

Fear is an instinctual product of the unknown. The more unknowns there are, like where your next meal will be coming from, will you be raided by gangs in your sleep or attacked while trying to get water, the more fear there is.

Prepping goes a long way to mitigating fear no matter what comes your way.

I didn't notice much change in my life other than when I did make my errand weekly run into town, people looked scared of their own shadows. But, you are right. People neglect mental health aspects of prepping. I say that as a former psych major.

Fear is an instinctual product of the unknown. The more unknowns there are, like where your next meal will be coming from, will you be raided by gangs in your sleep or attacked while trying to get water, the more fear there is.

Prepping goes a long way to mitigating fear no matter what comes your way.

Exactly!!
When I have plenty of ammo I feel more comfortable.
Same goes for fire extinguishers,food,insurance,no debt and many other things prudent people do.
I dont know how people can have outstanding tickets or warrants or drive around with expired tags.
That shit would drive me batty!

Material preps help with the mental preps which in turn help with the eventual mental health! Thinking through what you may need changes the way you view life. You realize all of the things you don't know how to do yourself and then learn them. When the time comes, there is a comfort in the fact that you are better off than you were and may even be able to help others, like putting a plane's oxygen mask on yourself first before you help someone else...which makes you feel helpful and useful it negates some of the fear of the unknown at least. It is all related! ;)

Last edited:
Agreed.
Those who hid in their homes and double masked when they ventured out to face the flood of none maskers aren't going to do so well.
They'll likely hide in their homes until the food runs out and then pray the government bails them out.
wife and I stayed in our home and masked up when we went out, it was the law here and we are law abiding people -until there is no more law that is.
in fact, isolation in a pandemic was my personal plan long before covid was even a twinkle in a chinamans eye!!

Mental health is often neglected. So are children when stocking up. After getting the basics put away I decided to spoil myself and others. I have a battery powered DVD player that can be recharged by solar power. Many people will be very busy after a shtf situation. If there is a nuclear exchange, witch is looking more likely every day, I plan to take the clan into a fallout shelter. I love my grand children greatly but could see it become tedious living with them in very close quarters for a while. So I have toys and games. Kid food (sugar poison). And children books. Also air rifles and pistols. It might be a good time to have everyone target practice.

mental health suffered during the lock downs over here, most humans unlike myself seem to be programmed with some form of herd instinct to need the company of others, when they cant they go into some sort of mental decline, goodness knows how they will react, badly I expect. to any sort of societal collapse event.

Latest posts

Back