Best Long Term Food

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R4CH3L

Friend
Neighbor
I'm curious to know... in everybody's opinion (from experience), what is the best brand of Long Term food (Wise for example)? Shelf life, quality, flavor, do they stand up to the brands claims, easy to use, something we could survive off of long term if need be?? What brand do you trust to use for yourself?
Thanks for your input!

i dont go with wise foods,or any of the others for more then one reason..

1st reason is the price.what id pay for one bucket can be spent on other foods and/or some thing else..

2nd thier serveing size is to small of a serveing for me..which means id be eating 2 or 3 of thier serveings to equal one serveing for me.

3rd i know i can go into a store and buy (what) i know what i will eat instead of takeing a chance on buying something id rather not eat

4th canning is so much cheaper.and a person can end up with at least 2-3 times more food this way.pluse the self life for home canning foods is so much longer.

Another way would be just dehydrate your own meals to eat. I am sorry, but I am not familiar with any of the store/internet buys. That way you can take them with you if you need to leave your home and they are light weight and don't take up much rom

i dont go with wise foods,or any of the others for more then one reason..

1st reason is the price.what id pay for one bucket can be spent on other foods and/or some thing else..

2nd thier serveing size is to small of a serveing for me..which means id be eating 2 or 3 of thier serveings to equal one serveing for me.

3rd i know i can go into a store and buy (what) i know what i will eat instead of takeing a chance on buying something id rather not eat

4th canning is so much cheaper.and a person can end up with at least 2-3 times more food this way.pluse the self life for home canning foods is so much longer.
I agree ! 1 wise bucket for multiple people will run you 100+ dollars i just put together 2 -5gal. food grade buckets filled to the rim myself for only 80 dollars with a variety of foods , ranging from pasta's-rice-beans of different sorts -dried fruits- condaments and drinks . have 4 more buckets i will be filling soon. got the buckets at tractor supply for around 3.99 each and lids for around 1 dollar.

100_1623.JPG
100_1624.JPG
100_1625.JPG
100_1626.JPG

I agree ! 1 wise bucket for multiple people will run you 100+ dollars i just put together 2 -5gal. food grade buckets filled to the rim myself for only 80 dollars with a variety of foods , ranging from pasta's-rice-beans of different sorts -dried fruits- condaments and drinks . have 4 more buckets i will be filling soon. got the buckets at tractor supply for around 3.99 each and lids for around 1 dollar.
Check for free buckets with lids at your local restaurants. They tend to get mayo, eggs and pickles, etc in five gallon bucket that are food grade. They go through these on a regular basis and may just give them to you. Just a thought, but yes filling it yourself is a great idea and cost less. I don't use wise food or any other for my food storage. It is something you can do on your own with a little work and the savings are worth it.

Another way would be just dehydrate your own meals to eat. I am sorry, but I am not familiar with any of the store/internet buys. That way you can take them with you if you need to leave your home and they are light weight and don't take up much rom

i agree.dehydrated is much lighter then other foods..and thats good when you gotta travel far and or fast..plus a person probaley can carry more food with them that way as well...

I get my buckets from a restaurant. They had frosting or pie filling in them and clean up like new. I make up mixed buckets like Kenprep and fill others others with beans, rice, etc from bulk. The nutritional values are better than companies like Wise foods. I also eat what I store so there wont be a diet shock during a time of stress. I know how to cook what I store. My preps get rotated this way as well.

The best type of long term food is home grown. Make a garden and can the veggies your self. I know you can go to the store now and buy them buy you need to learn.

if your gonna do wise food or another food bucket company it is best to buy in bulk ! atleast a 6 month supply. but once again i can make this 6 month supply myself in a few paychecks so do it yourself!

The best type of long term food is home grown. Make a garden and can the veggies your self. I know you can go to the store now and buy them buy you need to learn.
I couldn't agree more, and let me tell you, learning to grow things takes practice. I read a little and stuck some seeds in the ground thinking this would be easy. Well, it takes a lot of practice to actually get some vegetables. I strongly suggest learning now while you can still go to the grocery store. I think the most important thing I've learned in the last 4or 5 years is the soil conditioning. You need to add mulch and compost to the soil, and not just once. It gets better year after year, and is definitely not done overnight.

Going back to the OP's original question. Assuming money is not a concern. Which dehydrated food brand is the best?

Going back to the OP's original question. Assuming money is not a concern. Which dehydrated food brand is the best?
I only have some mre's for the ghb. In the car, so am far from an expert. But everything I've heard about mountain house gourmet cans have been positive, except the price. I like that the container size isn't huge as who wants to eat the same meal for a week straight. I'm glad you brought this up as I have been wanting to try one of the mre meals. I'll let you know what I think. The only thing I've had so far was the old c rations in cans, and they positively sucked! We carried hot sauce for just about everything just to get it down.

I personally like the Mountain House brand freeze-dried meals. Granted, due to expense, these are solely for get home bags or buried caches. Like others said, making your own, storing long-lasting foods in buckets, or home-canning are far better (and cheaper) options. I've tried the Wise brand too, and they are pretty decent also, but more expensive than Mountain House, and I love the Mountain House beef stew for example. Definitely be sure to actually TRY anything before you buy any good amount of it. Also, you can pick up Mountain House packs at your local WalMart, for about $6 a meal (and usually, it's enough for two people).

I keep some mtn house + mre's on hand, also the power/emer bars that are like 300 calories and last around five years...forgot the name is them

I like the Mainstay ration bars. Taste like a lemon cookie, and are designed to last a long time, and for daily caloric intake.

I would have to agree with the others that tells you not to buy buckets of food.
Both from a cost standpoint and a realization that I might not like everything in the bucket makes it impractical to buy anything that I am not going to eat.

Furthermore, you need to keep what you already eat and not something that is bug out / SHTF specific.. My stomach expects to see the same types of food on a daily basis and I get cravings if I cannot eat what I am used to eating.

The first three months I would require more meat and more Spam then vegetables.
Since vegetables is a summer type thing, just having a pack of seeds where I live will do you no good. Sunflower seeds you could probably eat if you were desperate enough, but tomato and green pepper - you have to have 3 months before you can pick anything.

By that time I would be DEAD!

I would also look into fishing bait, since it is easier to catch fish then it is to find food in the wild that grows naturally where I plan to be.
I would prepare more for some type of fish net or multi hook arrangement that would allow me to set lines and walk away...

I would imagine that the bulk of your daylight hours will be spend gathering wood and water and cooking and cleaning the first couple of months at a BOL then anything else.

A couple of days of eating beans and pea's and lentils and I would probably surrender to the zombie's myself.

We stock up on freeze dried noodles, pasta's and rice, beans and canned fruit and vegetables in case the garden is empty, but cooking daily with fresh veggies and beans and rice, now have a 3 month supply and monthly adding to it , using large 50 ltr boxes at the moment, but the buckets with cover from any fastfood restaurant are a better idea ?

Assuming the scenario doesn't impact wildlife, here, we have all kinds of options. Fishing, of course, but also birds, snakes, frogs (seems we'd never run out of those), bugs, armadillos, possum, raccoon, squirrel, rabbit, boar, and deer are all wild here. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. Sure, we're all used to chicken or beef, but really, there are a LOT of food options for just about anyone, in any area. If you really think about it.

Also, there are a few great vids out there on waxing your own cheese (even store bought cheese), where you can preserve it for YEARS....

I
We stock up on freeze dried noodles, pasta's and rice, beans and canned fruit and vegetables in case the garden is empty, but cooking daily with fresh veggies and beans and rice, now have a 3 month supply and monthly adding to it , using large 50 ltr boxes at the moment, but the buckets with cover from any fastfood restaurant are a better idea ?
I have been using old pickle and icing buckets from grocery stores. Normally you can go in and ask for them or get on a list to have them saved for you. I put flours, sugars, pastas, rice, beans. etc.. It just depends on what your family eats really and I rotate often and have never had any problems with them.

geez,have to have those buckets and I know where to get hold of them,they put those kind of buckets out for grab at my school,washed and ready for use, oh please kick me hard on my butt for not realizing it earlier,well blond and stupid sometimes....just stay in the queue and wait for your school dinner and keep on watching that table with all those buckets....

geez,have to have those buckets and I know where to get hold of them,they put those kind of buckets out for grab at my school,washed and ready for use, oh please kick me hard on my butt for not realizing it earlier,well blond and stupid sometimes....just stay in the queue and wait for your school dinner and keep on watching that table with all those buckets....

We all wake up more and more from all the messages on this forum, its really helping us all? Hopefully we have more time to prepair before a SHTF disaster?

I have a very limited budgets and any ideas to save some money too get more preps is awesome.
And I have a few questions on this topic.
What kind of shelf life can I expect out of these do it yourself buckets?
Do the gamma seal lids work better?
What do they help?
Do you have to add oxygen and water absorbers?
Do you just throw the dried goods in it loose or keep in bags?

I just been buying the buckets. But I've kind of went away from the meals. To staples like rice and corn meals specific 30 pound buckets and are cheaper. And the large cans of dried apples and bananas etc etc. I've gotten a little stocked away. And I haven't quite figured how to do or what to do about meat yet. Id definitely like some direction here. Do I get canned meat? Like spam or tuna fish etc etc?

I just been buying the buckets. But I've kind of went away from the meals. To staples like rice and corn meals specific 30 pound buckets and are cheaper. And the large cans of dried apples and bananas etc etc. I've gotten a little stocked away. And I haven't quite figured how to do or what to do about meat yet. Id definitely like some direction here. Do I get canned meat? Like spam or tuna fish etc etc?
I would just buy what you allready eat. Just be sure to rotate as you buy more. Canned goods last a lot longer than their expiration date, but some things last better than others. I had some tuna cans that were still edible after two years, but started getting mushy. Yet the canned chicken was still fine. I can grow and home can veggies pretty well now, so with that knowledge I feel it's better than stockpiling food. I do have an emergency stockpile of food, probably better than 6 months, but it is for a natural disaster or job layoff. Long term I feel your better learning to make your own, hunt and forage.

I have a very limited budgets and any ideas to save some money too get more preps is awesome.
And I have a few questions on this topic.
What kind of shelf life can I expect out of these do it yourself buckets?
Do the gamma seal lids work better?
What do they help?
Do you have to add oxygen and water absorbers?
Do you just throw the dried goods in it loose or keep in bags?
I just did some quart jars of rice and some of beans. I washed the jars and lids, then dried them in the oven at 170 deg. For several minutes. Then I filled them with the dry product, and they went back into the oven for about thirty minutes. You don't want to cook them, just removing any extra moisture. Then I took a 300 cc oxy absorber and put it on top of the food and put the lids on the jars. They pop when the jar cools and the oxygeon absorber begins working, sealing the jar tight. You do have the initial expense of buying the jars, but since they can be used over and over it averages out much cheaper than buying pre made goods. I have some rice in jars that's over three years old and you can't tell the difference from fresh bought.

Pick up 5 gallon food grade buckets from a local grocery store (in the bakery or deli) or even restaurants for free. I keep my flour, sugar, pinto beans and rice in these and the 25 lb bags fit in nicely (opened and dumped). We use these items on a regular basis and I rotate when needed. I do not use any oxygen absorbers or anything else. You want to clean and sterilize them first and get any smells out of them as that can and will leach into whatever you store in the buckets. Normally I will fill them up with bleach water and let them sit for a week and then clean them out. Make sure they are totally dried before you add anything to them. For other items, such as different brown and powdered sugar or pastas, I leave them in their original bags and then rotate them in a 3 gallon bucket. Been doing it this way for over 10 years now and have never had any problems. I am on a tight budget too, so totally understand. I do also grow my veggies and fruits and can my food every year so that is also rotated. I try to grow as much as possible in order to save money and also cut corners on living expenses where I can. Hanging out laundry and not turning on unnecessary lights are examples. Hope that helps

Latest posts

Back