best knives / blades for cheap

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnG2694

Reaction score
All you experts out their. I'm gonna need your help here

Your best 1 of each for under 40 dollars or best price

1 hatchet with molle attachment
1 machete with molle attachment
1 fixed blade with molle attachment
1 folder
1 swiss style
1 multi tool
1 survival style
Also anything else you can think of ( thank you)

I'm new at this too. Id go with pawn shops for most of the single blade knives. I don't know where u r but where I am there are litte stores asian owned and they have phenominal selection on all accept mulitool and swiss knive. Key thing is u want something that will last. Hope that helps.

All you experts out their. I'm gonna need your help here

Your best 1 of each for under 40 dollars or best price

1 hatchet with molle attachment
1 machete with molle attachment
1 fixed blade with molle attachment
1 folder
1 swiss style
1 multi tool
1 survival style
Also anything else you can think of ( thank you)

Swiss army knife --- the huntsman by victorinox under 40.00
multitool-------------leatherman wave 51.00
fixed blade I go with a mora. cheap, holds awesome edge, easy to sharpen.
the folder spyderco, opinel, i carry the leatherman c33, cheap and good action with a little mod on the scale so your thumb fits right.

there are so many options but those are my favorites and they are tried and trusted.

I like CRKT for inexpensive blades.
Gerber for multi tools, but for a multi-tool I prefer the more expensive SOG knives, well worth the price.

Get one of them pocket wire chainsaw things.

Cold steel for MOST everything. People are probably tired of hearing this from me but I have (unlike most) trusted my life with them and they've never let me down.

Machete Magnum kukri
http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/5_1/Machetes.aspx

Hatchet Trail hawk
http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/7_1/Tomahawks.aspx

Fixed blade SRK or GI Tanto(great for under 30.00, both are Molle ready)
http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/2_1/Fixed_Blades.aspx

Molle ready usually means expensive why IDK. If you need kydex for anything let me know I have a press and can do it for cheaper than most. Also avoid SOG hatchets they break waaay to easy. Nearly killed a friend when using it on a hanging log. Go Leatherman or Gerber for multi tools.

condor knives , green river knives , older buck , older western , older schrade !
yard sales , auctions , pawn shops !

This may seem like simplistic advice, but insure that all fixed blade knives, regardless of cost, are of the full tang variety.

I've debated this as well. The scenario I ran through my head is that I'm being attacked and I break my blade on the first hit. I think I'm going with machetes cause they are just rugged as hell. I've had a machete for years that I have beaten the crap out of and it's dependable. While it would probably feel cooler wielding Excalibur, I haven't field tested it. Was looking into a folded katana but spending $$$ on one would probably keep me from trying to test it's limits. I'd be sick if it broke. That's what finalized it for me

Ive got my CRKT for EDC, i have a Winchester Bowie from Wal-mart ($20) a probably shitty rambo style 8" blade survival from harbor frieght ($8.99+ tax) i have a mechete, a solid medal hatchet, like 4 swiss army knives, and an old beater small rambo stile.

Folder victorinox Swiss army knife
Fixed mora high q all-around, cold steel true flight thrower, cold steel roach belly, cold steel bushman,
Machete condor el salvador machete or imacasa daga.
Axe hatchet cold steel trail boss and frontier hawk.

Any resonable brand or style have been mentioned on this and several other threads but I will mention what I was taught growing up when I was looking for a good knife . " If you need a hammer get a hammer if you need a screw driver get a screw driver don't use your knife but when you buy a knife buy a good one because you may need to use it for a hammer or screw driver " . And that always came with the warning to remember its a knife not a pry bar .

And I say if it's something you're going to depend on with your life, maybe the cheapest option isn't the best. Obviously cheap knife is better than no knife but that's my two cents.

Latest posts

Back