Best Fixed Blade Knife

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking Kydex sheaths! I do appreciate the offer! Do you make any for handguns?
I do like both the Warcraft and the AK-47. However, they are sure not in my budget at this time. I am sure you get what you pay for. I have seen some videos regarding the SRK (SK-5), Recon Tanto (SK-5) and the Kobun. Of course I have also been looking at a Karambit.

I do have a diving knife and the first "survival" knife I bought in the early-mid 1980's too embarrassing to post a picture of them on here :D.
Come on, don't be embarrassed! Post a picture. I wanna see!

What 13, 14, or 15 year old wouldn't buy one of those hollow-handle POS $12.00 survival knife? Especially after seeing First Blood or Rambo?

I would have use for these type of knives only for experimenting on what a given knife can do.

So, to practice with . . . but not to take in the boondocks or inner city where you may really need a knife.

This is the knife I mean:

wr3dggf9eyj31.jpg

It was such a worthless piece of s----t . . . that I wrote a college paper on my own stupidity in buying one.

Added later after more thought: It's one redeeming quality is that they are cheap enough to experiment with so you can work out a technique, and don't die from dangerous assumptions picked up on TV, in the cinema, and from macho men's magazines.

Last edited:

What 13, 14, or 15 year old wouldn't buy one of those hollow-handle POS $12.00 survival knife? Especially after seeing First Blood or Rambo?

I would have use for these type of knives only for experimenting on what a given knife can do.

So, to practice with . . . but not to take in the boondocks or inner city where you may really need a knife.

View attachment 9919

It was such a worthless piece of s----t . . . that I wrote a college paper on my own stupidity in buying one.

Added later after more thought: It's one redeeming quality is that they are cheap enough to experiment with so you can work out a technique, and don't die from dangerous assumptions picked up on TV, in the cinema, and from macho men's magazines.
OK, Ok. I will dig them out and get a picture on here tomorrow.

I do holsters as well.

So what’s the budget we are looking at? If you are ok with the Recon Tanto than let’s get a GI Tanto instead. The recon Tanto is a sharpened crowbar. Its meant for marines to abuse. Lol.

The GI Tanto is a fighter and it’s good carbon steel. It’s also better once modified and I can do all this for you easy. Just bring it too me and in an hour or two we can make you a sweet fighting knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-T...+steel&qid=1581489398&sprefix=GI+tanto&sr=8-2

1E67001C-AC85-4141-A39F-0D8AD122B96C.jpeg
9DB9A23A-B8DC-4ADD-94E1-9B2BA883187A.jpeg

This is a custom job I did for an ICE agent. He has this on his plate carrier. It’s a wicked fighter.
Look up GI Tanto destruction tests on YouTube and you’ll be shocked at what this blade endures.

Last edited:
I do holsters as well.

So what’s the budget we are looking at? If you are ok with the Recon Tanto than let’s get a GI Tanto instead. The recon Tanto is a sharpened crowbar. Its meant for marines to abuse. Lol.

The GI Tanto is a fighter and it’s good carbon steel. It’s also better once modified and I can do all this for you easy. Just bring it too me and in an hour or two we can make you a sweet fighting knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-T...+steel&qid=1581489398&sprefix=GI+tanto&sr=8-2

View attachment 9920 View attachment 9921

This is a custom job I did for an ICE agent. He has this on his plate carrier. It’s a wicked fighter.
Look up GI Tanto destruction tests on YouTube and you’ll be shacked at what this blade endures.
I will sure look into this one and see how long it will take to deliver it here. Thanks again for the "retrofit" offer!

View attachment 9919

You would be surprised at how many of thoes are still packed around in tool boxes or used around shops for stuff you wouldn't want to use a nice knife for .

I’m ok with Ontario. I think they charge too much for what you get sometimes but all in all they make a good knife. It there one you’re considering?

Ok as promised..... Here are pictures of some old knives I have.

I picked this Diving Knife up around 1983 or 1984. No clue as to why I got it.
IMG_2890.jpg

I was given this set by my Ex Father-In-Law. I think he got it from a garage sale. Though his daughter was pain in the ### he was a good guy. Probably why I keep it, and to give to my son.
IMG_2891.jpg

This was the first "Survival Knife" I had ever purchased. I got it from a store call The Knife Gallery at my local mall. I think at the time (around 1984 ish) I paid $15 for it. It has a hallow handle that came with fishing stuff, a compass in the end of the handle which is now MIA, a snake bite kit in the pocket, and a sharpening stone in the belt loop.
IMG_2892.jpg

I’m ok with Ontario. I think they charge too much for what you get sometimes but all in all they make a good knife. It there one you’re considering?
Not at the moment. I used to have one I picked up many moons ago, but my idiot brother lent it to one of his friends and it was never to be seen again.

View attachment 9919

Hey I have some of those stupid knives too that I got because they "looked cool" to someone who didn't yet know better. I was gonna post a pic but I can't find the one I'm thinking of that I got at a flea market one day.

Up to about $60.00 - $65.00
What is your opinion on Onatario knives?
I have a few Ontario knives.

Two are the Camillus Marine Corps. utility knife. They are faithful copies of the miltary Bowie knives carried in WWII (and Korea, and Vietnam, and so forth). I have a brown one and a black one. They are very, very similar to the ka-bar knife.

My two other OKC knives are a copy of the classic Air Force survival pilot knife, and the other is a WWII Mark III trench knife.

I've been very happy with them. I am a bit of a traditionalist.

I hope this helps.

These knives have always delivered the goods when I've used them. They should last a lifetime if you use them only for their intended purposes and give them a minimum of care.

I keep the leather grips from deteriorating in the tropical environment by using Kiwi neutral shoe polish on the grips and sheath.

I ordinarily won't use waterproofing silicone treatment on my shoes and boots, but I've found that this shoe waterproofing stuff works well for leather knife grips and leather sheaths.

download (1).jpeg

I have been debating about using it on a leather rifle sling. I've recently acquired an M1 Garand, and I got the WWII leather sling for it.

What's the verdict on using this stuff for my historically accurate M1 Garand rifle sling? It's an authentic reproduction and not a genuine antique, so I don't mind experimenting. I'm sure that leather slings deteriorated in Iwo Jima, Guadacanal, and Saipan. What did the G.I.s do back then to care for leather in a humid, semi-tropical environment?

I do plan on utilizing my M1 Garand post SHTF.

Last edited:
Ok as promised..... Here are pictures of some old knives I have.

I picked this Diving Knife up around 1983 or 1984. No clue as to why I got it.
View attachment 9923

I was given this set by my Ex Father-In-Law. I think he got it from a garage sale. Though his daughter was pain in the ### he was a good guy. Probably why I keep it, and to give to my son.
View attachment 9924

This was the first "Survival Knife" I had ever purchased. I got it from a store call The Knife Gallery at my local mall. I think at the time (around 1984 ish) I paid $15 for it. It has a hallow handle that came with fishing stuff, a compass in the end of the handle which is now MIA, a snake bite kit in the pocket, and a sharpening stone in the belt loop.
View attachment 9925

Hi Clyde. This is important:

Throw away the snakebite kit.

It has been proven more or less conclusively that the old "cut and suck" protocol is worse than worthless.

When you cut over a snakebite, you're increasing the depth and severity of the wound, which allows the toxins to enter your system more efficiently.

They experimented with pigs and humans.

With humans, a given quantity of radioactive (but harmless) fluid with the same viscosity as snake venom was injected, and the cut and suck technique was utilized. Because the fluid was radioactive, it can be measured with great accuracy.

It turns out that cut and suck always removes less than 5% of the toxins.

And yes, the needle on the syringe was slightly curved, and designed to copy a snake's fang.

As far as pigs go, these animals were injected with real snake venom, and cut and suck was used on half of the dosed animals to see if survivability was improved . . . and the difference is that more of the cut and suck pigs died than the ones who didn't get cut and sucked.

My point is that the outdated snakebite kit is harmful. There is no reason to have it unless you like antiques.

As for me personally? I would take everything apart and repurpose all of the components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Clyde. This is important:

Throw away the snakebite kit.

It has been proven more or less conclusively that the old "cut and suck" protocol is worse than worthless.

When you cut over a snakebite, you're increasing the depth and severity of the wound, which allows the toxins to enter your system more efficiently.

They experimented with pigs and humans.

With humans, a given quantity of radioactive (but harmless) fluid with the same viscosity as snake venom was injected, and the cut and suck technique was utilized. Because the fluid was radioactive, it can be measured with great accuracy.

It turns out that cut and suck always removes less than 5% of the toxins.

And yes, the needle on the syringe was slightly curved, and designed to copy a snake's fang.

As far as pigs go, these animals were injected with real snake venom, and cut and suck was used on half of the dosed animals to see if survivability was improved . . . and the difference is that more of the cut and suck pigs died than the ones who didn't get cut and sucked.

My point is that the outdated snakebite kit is harmful. There is no reason to have it unless you like antiques.

As for me personally? I would take everything apart and repurpose all of the components.
I wouldn't dream of using a 36 year old snake bite kit. I am sure any of the first aid stuff has gone seriously bad. The snake bite kit and first aid kit do need to find a new home in the city dump.

I wouldn't dream of using a 36 year old snake bite kit. I am sure any of the first aid stuff has gone seriously bad. The snake bite kit and first aid kit do need to find a new home in the city dump.
Good.

The best thing that can be done with any snakebite (in North America, although I imagine that the same priciples apply everywhere, but check this claim) is to apply a wide, slightly constrictive band (a partially inflated blood pressure cuff works well), keep the patient calm, and seek medical attention.

In North America, the rules are that about 1/3 of the time, a pit viper doesn't even inject any venom. This is called a dry bite.

1/3 of the time, you get enough venom to make you ill, and only about 1/3 of the time does the patient get enough venom to be serious.

This rule doesn't apply in the same way to elapid snakes. North America has 3 elapids . . . all coral snakes (there are maybe 50 or 60 other species in Mexico, Central America, and South America. Some are aquatic.). The Arizona coral snake, the Texas coral snake, and the Eastern coral snake.

They have the deadliest, most potent venom in North America, but I don't consider them to be particularly dangerous in a practical sense. They are shy, reclusive, timid, and passive as far as snakes go. They also have very short fangs that are stopped by most kinds of clothing.

However . . . if you do get bitten (probably because you deserve it for bothering the animal), you will have no symptoms for a while, and then your breathing will stop when your respiratory muscles get paralyzed.

Coral snake bites are generally on the fingers as they are incapable of striking a flat surface or penetrating leather or heavy clothing with their short fangs. They bite and chew to deliver their toxin. There has only been one death from an Eastern Coral Snake since 1967. The man was severely intoxicated with a blood alcohol level of .32% (near fatal level which probably contributed to his death) and was attempting to beat the snake to death. There have never been any reported deaths from Western Coral Snakes.

So, long story short, if you don't intentionally handle a coral snake, your chances of being bitten are close to nil.

A large percentage of deaths due to snake bites from all species are due to plain stupidity. Like Barry Lester who picked up a rattlesnake in the middle of the road in 2018 in order to "move it to safety." :rolleyes:

Coral snake bites are generally on the fingers as they are incapable of striking a flat surface or penetrating leather or heavy clothing with their short fangs. They bite and chew to deliver their toxin. There has only been one death from an Eastern Coral Snake since 1967. The man was severely intoxicated with a blood alcohol level of .32% (near fatal level which probably contributed to his death) and was attempting to beat the snake to death. There have never been any reported deaths from Western Coral Snakes.

So, long story short, if you don't intentionally handle a coral snake, your chances of being bitten are close to nil.

A large percentage of deaths due to snake bites from all species are due to plain stupidity. Like Barry Lester who picked up a rattlesnake in the middle of the road in 2018 in order to "move it to safety." :rolleyes:
I agree with everything you said except the chewing part.

It used to be believed that coral snakes needed to chew in order to properly innoculate the venom into the bite, but this was disproven.

Snakes are very primitive animals with simple brains.

A snake usually envenomates to subdue prey prior to eating.

The bite--followed by chewing--is a confusion on the snake's part between eating and self-defense.

So, the coral snake seems to "chew" (snakes actually--with very few exceptions--swallow food whole) because it's trying to move prey down its throat.

One other point: the Arizona coral snake has the most toxic venom of all North American snakes . . . and fangs that are about 1 millimeter long . . . or fangs that are about as long as a dime is thick.

I would think that even a T-shirt would protect against a bite from this snake, but I don't have the desire to check this claim personally.

My desert is beautiful but also be a killer. Watch where you put your hands and feet. Many of our beautiful critters will make you wish you had not gotten to friendly with them.

My desert is beautiful but also be a killer. Watch where you put your hands and feet. Many of our beautiful critters will make you wish you had not gotten to friendly with them.
I understand, and agree with you.

The Arizona scorpion, the many different kinds of rattlesnakes . . . even large centipedes that can ruin your day can be found there.

I have visited Texas, Oklahoma, and Utah, and I agree that the desert and Great Plains have a subtle beauty that isn't seen anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back