best emp vehicle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
What is the best emp proff vehicle. I am looking fora SUV probably a k5 or something like it any ideas or recommendations

What is the best emp proff vehicle. I am looking fora SUV probably a k5 or something like it any ideas or recommendations

Most research shows EMP effecting vehicles is more science fiction than reality. N1 solar EMP can effect other electronics which are connected to their grid. If your vehicle is facing the NEMP (nuclear) your car not starting may not be your biggest problem. The problem, if we survive the detonation, fall out and such, is the fuel systems are connected to the grid. THE EMP would surely destroy many of the operating systems within these fuel systems. So back to your question thinking a K5, if you're vehicle is only getting 8-12 MPG ( I owned 1) then it's probably not EMP prof, something with good gas mileage, would be the best EMP vehicle. Check the article attached. http://www.futurescience.com/emp/vehicles.html

Like Old Anorak, we have horses but I travel away from home 4-5 days a week and my "bug out" plan is to get back home to the ranch. So...that being said; I was a mechanic for 15+ years so I have a bit of knowledge about vehicles. Considering everything you hear about the effects of an EMP on vehicles, the general thought is that electronic ignition systems will go kaputttt. I am also told that the vast majority of researchers believe these same vehicles that are running at the time of an EMP will stall and restart and that those vehicles not running won't be harmed at all. Personally.....I'm not sure I trust any of that! So...the following is my list of must-haves in a bug out or get-home vehicle:
-Carborator...absolutely no fuel injection
-4x4
-Duel fuel tanks or extra metal fuel cans with brackets, mounted to the vehicle.
-Truck, as it is much more versatile than say a Suburban or 4-Runner

Once you have this vehicle in your possession, there is an whole other list of things I feel one should have in/on the vehicle to assure your escape.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Doomsday Prepper tv show had a guy who had an Army truck. Thing ran on everything from gas, diesel, to used motor oil. Sounds bad ### to me. Not sure if it is EMP proof though, but he would never run out of fuel because he could siphon motor oil.

I saw that one. I would love to have a deuce and a half if for no other reason than to piss off the guy down the road who thinks he has the biggest, baddest 4 wheel drive around.

I have '88 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 that's my BOV. Nothing automated about it, everything on it is manual. I can even push start it if need be. I keep it gassed up and the battery charged for the just in case scenario. Im working on it having a built in cooler. It has tools on board and it has gun boots to hold my hunting rifles and it can carry 4 people. All toll I have about $2700 in it

I used to have a little samurai... the thing was unstoppable. We put a 350 Chevy in it because it ate clutches with the large tires on it. ....heh , it seemed like a good idea at the time. But overcompensation for a lack of power was an understatement. When you take the worlds shortest wheelbase and add 500 HP , somebody is about to die. The thing would stand verticle wheelies and we couldn't even get a quarter mile time because nobody had the nads to stay on the gas more than about 50 yds. It was the worst case of overkill in history. It would swap ends before you even thought about correcting it. I sold it 10 years ago and there's a guy driving it around now....still with my paint on it.( hasn't been rolled over yet.) But there was nowhere it wouldn't go. Awesome machine.

I used to have a little samurai... the thing was unstoppable. We put a 350 Chevy in it because it ate clutches with the large tires on it. ....heh , it seemed like a good idea at the time. But overcompensation for a lack of power was an understatement. When you take the worlds shortest wheelbase and add 500 HP , somebody is about to die. The thing would stand verticle wheelies and we couldn't even get a quarter mile time because nobody had the nads to stay on the gas more than about 50 yds. It was the worst case of overkill in history. It would swap ends before you even thought about correcting it. I sold it 10 years ago and there's a guy driving it around now....still with my paint on it.( hasn't been rolled over yet.) But there was nowhere it wouldn't go. Awesome machine.
Damn man that's some HP in a tiny SUV. How did the motor fit, most of been some serious mods. Leave it to you hillbilly's to cram a 350 in a samurai . WTH who does that ? LOL

We had to remove the radiator and replace it with an electric fan unit that we mounted between the frame rails horizontally. The Suzuki setup had a small drive shaft between the transfer case and the transmission so we first cut the driveshaft and welded a Chevy yoke on it. Worked for a while but the tires would bark over when at an idle with you holding the brakes as hard as possible. Even idling the brakes weren't beefy enough to stop it from lurching. Finally I cut apart a Chevrolet truck for the parts and cut axels to fit.

Damn man that's some HP in a tiny SUV. How did the motor fit, most of been some serious mods. Leave it to you hillbilly's to cram a 350 in a samurai . WTH who does that ? LOL
Oh yeh...do you know Clem my engineer.
IMG951897.png

Bill, I need to have you do some modifying on the Rodeo we have. That thing is the biggest, gutless wonder I've ever had the misfortune of getting behind the wheel.

I had a Suzuki Sidekick when Fries was little, that vehicle was a go-getter, ran like a striped ### ape and nothing stopped it. We had a real bad winter one year, that little suv never slowed down, gripped the road like it was made of Velcro. I miss that thing.

I've got an '87 toyota I bought from a retired lady 5 years ago or so for $1800. It's got 230000 origional miles on it. I have rear ended a dirt hauler with it on a rainy night, buffeted the passenger side off of guard rail at 75 mph, pulled a 16ft trailer with a 4,000lb. fork lift on it for 80 hilly miles, hit a deer, and pretty much ignored it mechanically and the damn thing is STILL ready for more use and AB-use.
Need to find another one. These things are great and fun.

Latest posts

Back