best emp vehicle

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always threaten my wife that I'll cut my hair like that when I'm gonna cut it off . Just to wear it for a few days as a joke. I'm afraid that it would be so funny I would never cut it..lol
Wire dog ....those are good trucks

i have a cusin who had a 1969 chevy s/10 series once.it started out with a slant 6 in it.then it threw a rod..thats when he had a large block 500 put into it and 5 speed trany to boot.last time i saw it..the body would of looked better with a partridge family paint job.which i liked.it became one bad azz truck when he had the engine and trany put in..wish i had it now.

Heh colt...who's your redneck daddy
IMG_20130625_170618_058.jpg

Heh colt...who's your redneck daddyView attachment 1072

Damn dude, those leaf springs have some bow in them, I can see way you did the body lift the motor wouldn't fit huh ! Are those Mickey Thompsons ? i bet that was a lot of fun in the mud. I like it ! Oh no, no no no. Crap i woke up with a mullet !

I am also told that the vast majority of researchers believe these same vehicles that are running at the time of an EMP will stall and restart and that those vehicles not running won't be harmed at all. Personally.....I'm not sure I trust any of that!

It's funny, but a lot of this comes from some very small tests done a while back as part of a government sponsored study. The parameters were horrible for the tests, and there was a VERY limited number of vehicles involved. I recall the general idea, more than the specifics. Basically, they found that the biggest factor was whether or not they were running at the time of the EMP. If so, chances are they'd stall, but most started back up. It was done by the EMP Commission.

Ooh...found it:

We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively . Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries

I am restoring my 1989 Nissan Sentra (I used to race this) as my BOV. It has a 1.3L modified engine that's carburated. This is sure to be EMP proof since everything is manual, even the dashboard speedo uses a cable.

My recommendation would be to have spare parts of anything REQUIRED in the electrical system. So, even if something did go south, it wouldn't be game over.
A trip to the local junker would likely suffice. And get REALLY good batteries...like the kind with insane guarantees.

Yep, had one of those old Samuris too. It was my primary vehicle for over ten years. I think it was only in the shop once. Mine was blueprinted so it would actually do 70 with a tailwind :). I had some wide tires on it, and it would just about go anywhere a 4 wheeler would. I rarely even needed 4WD.

When the kids were growing up, they got a thrill riding in the back seat with the top off.

Miss that little bugger...

Though I recommended the parts, I really doubt many vehicles would be irreversibly affected by an EMP, especially if they weren't on at the time. In essence, the vehicle shell itself is a kind of limited Faraday cage.
I'm more worried about the power grid in general. With 18 month lead times on key components in the current, functional world, imagine the logistics of replacing numerous ones after an EMP.....

Latest posts

Back