Best defenses for homestead?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve often wondered if my food and weapons stash will just be taken and used by marauders after shtf. Even with that possibility, I am a prepper at heart and will continue to prepare as best I can as long as I can. I guess my main hope is no one will ever need to survive on my supplies.

The best battle ever won, was the battle that was never fought. That same primary plan is what will make or break preppers. Smart preppers prepare for conflict but hope it never comes. Rambo preppers can't wait to break out the fire power and will get killed off. They will over estimate themselves and underestimate others. Ballistic and tactics work for both sides.

For most rural (homesteading / farming /ranching) environments, Oldcoot's plan appears to be solid, especially after reading they will have drones. Look at the pictures that Squirtgunsquirter posted and you can see just how much of an advantage it would be to have a drone. Having multiple drones at different locations is an added plus, This will allow for different search patterns on different days and different return patterns. The bad news, it would also be beneficial for the bad guys to have a drone but much less likely. Yes they could have portable solar power source but not as likely. Drone recon is an outstanding advantage in a rural environment. In my opinion, it would be a poor idea in a urban environment (city -- not suburb). Too much glass and concrete to take advantage of a drone and too easy to follow the drone back to it's source. In the city (urban) environment night vision scopes and high power spotting scopes will be advantageous.

It might be fun to select a scenario and try to create a defensive and then a offensive plan. Yeah, I know I have a strange mind, what can I say.

The Community is already there . So for whatever reason We are having ard times . Either complete life as We know it break down no utilities, major traffic ways clogged or just a shtf civil unrest or War has spread to Our continent . Your Neighbors and Family are most likely stiil there . Some will be prepared some will become desperate and others will give up . If Your idea is to live in a community of Preppers give it a try . It may work out or You may learn that You have joined a group of social parasites trying to live off each other and the tax payers .
In My rual area most of Us know and practice the old Homesteading lifestyle as a hobby and could adjust if needed . We are also rather vigilant when something out of the ordinary happens although nothing near a organized community its Your day to day neighborhood . The best defense of Your area will be a show of strength to show there is no easy target here thats true today and will be in a lawless time . Marauders hanging from trees or power poles , skeletons in the wood lines . My security / defense plan comes from proven unconventional warfare that comes from centuries of operational tactics and field craft .

@Psalm7

I like and also plan to use un-conventional warfare tactics, once I relocate to my rural setting. I also like the bodies left behind to deter future intruders. Of course this depends on the given situation and location. If there is still some form of law enforcement, then heads on spikes is going to be a problem. Booby traps are another issue, if there is some form of law in effect. I am sure you have given this much thought but I felt I should mention it for those younger folks that may not have thought it out completely. Un-conventional warfare can only be used during WROL situation but in those conditions, I do believe it will be a most effective strategy.

Now for my urban situation, defense must be limited to living quarters. I won't be able to booby trap public area's. My plan is to follow the Gray Man approach and severely limit my exposure. I can and will set traps leading into my residence but that is a last line of defense. Urban defense does pose many problems and requires unique strategies. The first 3 to 6 months will be to hunker down and wait until the majority of the ciaos subsides, then relocate to a commercial building. By that time, I will have supplies to transport and there will less people out and about. Also by that time most of the commercial building will have already been plundered for the obvious supplies. Most urban dwellers will not know about the hidden water supplies or the advantage of indoor agriculture possibilities. Think about a Costco building, that has been raided. The food and clothing will have been stolen but all that open space will still be available. Tons of reading material, paper to burn, and storage racks to make barriers and raised beds for food. then there are the skylights to aid in providing sunlight for the plants. The shelves that display the books will make very nice raised beds too. The fire sprinkler system will have hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of water, that can be filtered for drinking or irrigation. All th access points will have steel roll-up doors and the steel storage racks can be dis-assembled to help reinforced the roll up doors. There will be an access ladder to the roof, so exterior watches can be established. All of this can be accomplished without exposing your position. Just one of many possibilities. The real key is to figure out you plan while it is not needed. Once the fires start burning, it will be a bit too late. JM2C

@Psalm7

I like and also plan to use un-conventional warfare tactics, once I relocate to my rural setting. I also like the bodies left behind to deter future intruders. Of course this depends on the given situation and location. If there is still some form of law enforcement, then heads on spikes is going to be a problem. Booby traps are another issue, if there is some form of law in effect. I am sure you have given this much thought but I felt I should mention it for those younger folks that may not have thought it out completely. Un-conventional warfare can only be used during WROL situation but in those conditions, I do believe it will be a most effective strategy.

Now for my urban situation, defense must be limited to living quarters. I won't be able to booby trap public area's. My plan is to follow the Gray Man approach and severely limit my exposure. I can and will set traps leading into my residence but that is a last line of defense. Urban defense does pose many problems and requires unique strategies. The first 3 to 6 months will be to hunker down and wait until the majority of the ciaos subsides, then relocate to a commercial building. By that time, I will have supplies to transport and there will less people out and about. Also by that time most of the commercial building will have already been plundered for the obvious supplies. Most urban dwellers will not know about the hidden water supplies or the advantage of indoor agriculture possibilities. Think about a Costco building, that has been raided. The food and clothing will have been stolen but all that open space will still be available. Tons of reading material, paper to burn, and storage racks to make barriers and raised beds for food. then there are the skylights to aid in providing sunlight for the plants. The shelves that display the books will make very nice raised beds too. The fire sprinkler system will have hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of water, that can be filtered for drinking or irrigation. All th access points will have steel roll-up doors and the steel storage racks can be dis-assembled to help reinforced the roll up doors. There will be an access ladder to the roof, so exterior watches can be established. All of this can be accomplished without exposing your position. Just one of many possibilities. The real key is to figure out you plan while it is not needed. Once the fires start burning, it will be a bit too late. JM2C
Thats Why I mentioned for a end of life as we know it lawless time .
In a lot of shtf situations life continues as usual for the most part . Utilities still work , you got to get to work and make a living . What ever the event is like plague , rioting/civil unrest , crime spree , weather or natural disaster and so on will have to be dealt with .
A major event causing refugees and mass destruction where law and order break down and life as We know it no longer exists would be the time to turn your area into Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now compound .

Last edited:
I just don’t see people venturing out this way in a SHTF, In an TEOTWAWKI the wooden bridges are coming down and the basalt cliff is already notorious for slides and easy to create one.

We have a plan for things but I don’t ever see it coming to that, while we have the means to protect ourselves afar and up close and personal it’s not our primary focus. Sustainment is our focus in other words we aren’t really going to change how we do things. We’ll copy that old British motivational saying ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’

Most here want to survive post SHTF by themselves and not form a community. So here we are on a homestead, surrounded by hundreds/thousands of acres of land on all sides and we want to have sentries. Will these loners have the manpower to properly man all these posts 24 hours a day and properly communicate with all? How will you communicate? What about your starving neighbors? Are they inside your zone of protection? You talking about sentries way out to notify you of folks approaching or just a single guard around the house? How do you protect your sentries? With all the sentries, you now have manpower to work the farm? That is why I say this will be hard.

All good questions.

As for comms, walkie talkies with batteries that are recharged with solar chargers. Loners? We're not talking about a large perimeter.

We are certainly planning on bringing together a community of neighbors. We've gotten to know them a little, from storm cleanup, etc., but yeah, it's not something that is easy to talk about before such an event, so some of it is going to be reactionary after one.

sentries don't have to be of the human kind, there are lots of things one can do which wouldn't need to have a human being standing around 24/7. civilians aren't military trained at sentry duties and wont necessarily do an adequate job of it.
as for communications, what communications? loners don't need people to talk to.
listening yes, communicating no.

Last edited:
When considering Tactics there is alot of proven methods out there .
FB_IMG_1549313183078.jpg

Psalm7, who is in the picture and what recommended reading material are you referring too? Curious (sometime slow minds - me) minds would like to know?

I’m still a big fan of large dogs and a fence. Not fool proof but stops most average crackheads at least,

Yes the large dogs do have benefits but also require more maintenance than the cameras. I like animals but I do not want to ever have to put one down again. NOT a fun experience. In an emergency bug out, they become more liability than benefit, in most cases. I would guess a dog could be trained to give silent alerts and be leash free but I just worry about their care and ability to survive in the wild. You could be the one injured or killed and then the dog would have to fend for itself. Motion detectors, connected to audible alarms, would serve the same purpose as the dog and if one detector dies, I won't shed a tear.

Yes the large dogs do have benefits but also require more maintenance than the cameras. I like animals but I do not want to ever have to put one down again. NOT a fun experience. In an emergency bug out, they become more liability than benefit, in most cases. I would guess a dog could be trained to give silent alerts and be leash free but I just worry about their care and ability to survive in the wild. You could be the one injured or killed and then the dog would have to fend for itself. Motion detectors, connected to audible alarms, would serve the same purpose as the dog and if one detector dies, I won't shed a tear.
Yeah, they do become part of the family and become very attached

When considering Tactics there is alot of proven methods out there .
View attachment 9356
Thats Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest . Almost any researched and detailed books or documentaries on the Western theater during the Civil War will have His tactics in them . His Autobiography and Biography have great information as well .
The Ken Burns books and TV sieries have alot of His stories too .

Latest posts

Back