Being Prepared while Traveling

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Painless

Reaction score
A subject that has always been of some concern to me is how to travel and still be prepared for SHTF type events. The 'event' could be anything from getting stranded on the road (whether it's our vehicle breaking down or stuck in a traffic jam due to road closure) all the way to a catastrophic EMP type occurrence. Think about it. How terrible would it be to get half way to our destination on a 1000 mile trip and find ourselves 'dead-in-the-water' and left to our own devices to get somewhere, be it back home or on to our destination. Arguably, the biggest problem is space consideration limiting us to just what we can take in the way of preps. I'm lucky. I have a pick-up with an 8 ft. bed, so I can take some stuff. But still, it always seems horribly inadequate and I find myself having to be careful not to take too much! Anyway, here is a basic list of what we usually have, more or less, when on a long distance trip with our 3 daughters. (In this case, 1700 miles, one way, to my wife's parents in south Florida)........................

Water....2 - 3 gallons, plus whatever milk, juice, etc. is in our ice chest.

Emergency Food....... 6 gal. bucket with a variety of rice, beans, oats, soup mixes, some canned stuff (but not much due to weight & space), crackers, 5 lb. can of Peter Pan peanut butter, small bottle of olive oil, etc. OR an Augason Farms 30 day food bucket. Note: Whichever bucket we have, it is for emergency only. For normal eats we have a food box for regular eats.

Travel Food....Snacks for the road, of course, plus a food box with whatever we may want to eat on the road. We make sandwiches at roadside parks more than we eat at cafes and such.

Shelter....Usually we have a large tarp that covers our stuff in the back of the truck, plus we often have a small tent as well.

Cooking....A small, collapsible device that's kind of like a rocket stove...not sure how to describe it, really. A couple of camp cookware type pots & utensils. (Pretty proud of the fact that we COMPLETELY FORGOT to put the cookware in on this trip! :( Surely we could have found a couple of tin cans or something that would work.)

Defensive....We are.....armed to the teeth. At least compared to most people. What we have on any given trip varies, but we generally have: Pistols... My .45 Colt Commander for my primary carry with my .357 mag S&W as back-up. My wife's .380 Bersa with her 9 mm as her back-up. Long guns....My wife's short barrel 12 ga. pump, my .308 PTR 91 with scope, my or my wife's .223 Savage bolt action with scope, one or two of my girls' .22 bolt action rifles (Crickets, small & easy for them to carry), plenty of ammo for all. Plus a variety of knives, hatchets, hammers, etc...stuff we pretty much always have no matter where we are.

A way to carry everything.....We always have a few backpacks of various types PLUS we have a 2-wheeled game cart, disassembled an slid under my cross-bed tool box. This will make it much easier to carry the heavy stuff like food and extra ammo.

We also always have my & my wife's get-home bags which have the usual assortment of survival gear, first-aid kits, water purifiers/filters (we have the First Need pump filters. I have used them for years & years backpacking & camping and have always liked them much better than anything anyone else has ever had for me to try out, although a friend of mine recently got a Sawyer filter that seems pretty good. Have not gotten to use it yet so, we'll see.) and various other necessities.

Lighting....we carry a variety of solar powered flashlights & lanterns in addition to our better flashlights.

And, yeah. We carry a few rolls of toilet paper.

Wow. That seems like a LOT! And I'm sure I've left some stuff out. It actually is not as much as it seems, and I'm sure if we ever found ourselves in a mess...it would seem like nothing. But you have to draw the line somewhere. There's only so much room. And no matter how much I take or leave beuind, I always feel a mix of being horribly UNprepared and crazy paranoid survivalist dad.

There ya go. Now... I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else does.

Being a dad protecting little ones brings out the prepper in most people. They say to be wary around mama bears with cubs. I say there's more to be wary from prepper dads! Everything you mentioned makes for common sense to me on a long road trip. It blows me away how many people travel with kids with nothing but a credit card. Two things I didn't see mentioned were cash and some form of communication. Overall though, I think you're better prepared than 99% of all Americans. The primary things always go first with me. Some food and water supplies, at least one filter, weapons for both food and security, shelter for both warmth and dry, multiple ways to start a fire, cash, some cooking utensils, and yes toilet paper. One thing I really liked was the cart. I have a good backpack, but too much weight to travel far with it. I'll add that to my list.

Yes! Cash & communications. Absolutely. We always take enough cash to do a major repair to our vehicle or get us home if needed, but the $$$ is ONLY if we can't pay by any other method. As for comms, other than our cell phones, we take 2 or 3 of our Baofeng UV5's and at least one type of CB radio.
Something else I failed to mention, is that we make sure to have really good maps in the event of road closures or if we have to travel a different route....for any reason.
And you're right. I too am completely amazed at the people who travel on long (or short) trips without even so much as a jacket, and especially folks with children!

We'll be flying out to Cali. in May. Talk about having the deck stacked against us for being prepped! Between airline regulations (TSA!) and California regulations we'll be more unprepared than at any other time in my life! I am absolutely clueless as to how work around the laws. I guess I'll just have to find a sporting goods store in the neighborhood of our hotel and pray that nothing happens for that week. It's gonna put me in a bad mood to have to subject myself to those ridiculous TSA & DHS rules. Like being a prisoner in my own country.

We'll be flying out to Cali. in May. Talk about having the deck stacked against us for being prepped! Between airline regulations (TSA!) and California regulations we'll be more unprepared than at any other time in my life! I am absolutely clueless as to how work around the laws. I guess I'll just have to find a sporting goods store in the neighborhood of our hotel and pray that nothing happens for that week. It's gonna put me in a bad mood to have to subject myself to those ridiculous TSA & DHS rules. Like being a prisoner in my own country.
Rob, i don't know how practical it would be, but couldn't you mail or courier yourself a BOB or EDC, that you would be able to pick up at the airport when you arrive?

I keep my GHB (get home bag) in my truck at all times. It has pretty much most of what you mentioned.
I'm not too armed, just a .22 pistol, as I can carry a LOT of ammo, and also use it for small game if needed. I may go bigger, but it's what I have now without spending hundreds. (I also have a small baseball bat type club under my front seat easily within reach).

In addition to this though, I also have an auto emergency kit in the truck (it's a case that has a siphon kit, common tools and sockets, emergency flares, small first aid kit, emergency triangles, jumper cables, twist ties, duct tape, electrical tape, and assorted fuses, etc.). This is behind the back seat.

I have a heavy duty jack vs. a scissor type, which is pretty effective. (in the back, nestled near the auxiliary gas tank and bed side.) I also have at least one of each needed fluid type. For gas though, the truck has 3 different tanks, so that's covered.

Finally, I have our "life" bag. This has OTC meds, first aid stuff, prescription meds, and basically anything we could ever need while out (spare panty hose, spare socks, feminine supplies, toothpicks, floss, toothbrush, folding brush, hairspray, bobby pins, safety pins, zip ties, you name it). You'd be amazed how many things you can fix temporarily with zip ties (broken shoes, purse straps, etc.). And a whole ton of other things I can't remember (spare contacts, glass repair kit, sewing kit). All of it is in a fanny pack, believe it or not. (one with pockets, but still). I should take a pic, as even I don't believe how much junk is in this thing. It has lots of individual pockets, so it is all organized too.

Rob, i don't know how practical it would be, but couldn't you mail or courier yourself a BOB or EDC, that you would be able to pick up at the airport when you arrive?

That's a cool idea.

Probably a separate thread....EDC for travelling on a plane. What could you get away with?
On that note, I had a small little nail kit with a 2 inch blade (that is basically fingernail clipper size), and I couldn't take it into the courthouse today. Ridiculous!

Joe, that IS a cool idea. I will look into it and see how practical it is. Thanks!

In addition to this though, I also have an auto emergency kit in the truck (it's a case that has a siphon kit, common tools and sockets, emergency flares, small first aid kit, emergency triangles, jumper cables, twist ties, duct tape, electrical tape, and assorted fuses, etc.). This is behind the back seat.
I have a heavy duty jack vs. a scissor type, which is pretty effective. (in the back, nestled near the auxiliary gas tank and bed side.) I also have at least one of each needed fluid type. For gas though, the truck has 3 different tanks, so that's covered.

Wow. Thanks for the reminder! I didn't even think to mention the hydraulic jack, 5 gal. gas can and assortment of tools I carry with us.....because they are always there. That's where they live, in my truck.

Can you declare an unloaded gun in checked baggage?

Can you declare an unloaded gun in checked baggage?

Yes. IF...you are traveling to a place where it is ok to have that gun or guns. And even then, you better be danged sure that you won't have any layovers in cities/states where your gun is illegal or especially if you may change planes in one of those areas. I have seen reports of people who got arrested & prosecuted for unintentionally having their gun in a city where it was not legal to have it through NO fault of their own. California is one of those states. Possibly THE most gun UNfriendly state in the U.S.

Yeah, you REALLY have to check the gun laws in the destination state, and any other where you'd land, to check a gun in your luggage. Really, shipping is the better option if flying.

Though, I have a stun gun which is disguised as a cell phone, that has gone through both airport (as carryon!) and ship security without any red flags. (I actually had it in there on accident both times, but both times, it came through fine). This is why it is such a joke.

The other day, went to the courthouse to pay to dismiss a ticket. I had a stupid little nail knife on my keychain (like nail clipper nail file size), and I had to either leave it outside or have it taken.

Are you kidding me? I'd have to be Jason Bourne to do any damage with it, yet the pen in my pocket was FAR more lethal and that was OK. Heck, I could have had a ceramic knife in my shoe and gone through easily enough. Just stupid. I'm all for security, but at LEAST be somewhat intelligent about it....

neither one of us has flown in years..last time for me,was in the early to mid 1980's when a grandfather of mine died when i was in Florida..and way longer then that for my mom.but we do travel to Austin and to the woodlands,on holidays.but that's only because of family.so the vehicle in question at time,not only gets loaded up with the clothes and all,when it comes to the trip needs.but with vehicle needs and tool needs as well.

The bottom line is, I get that you need SOME security checks. Just don't be ridiculous about it. I shouldn't have to take off my shoes and belt to fly. There are SO many ways a determined terrorist could get weapons on a plane. I'd list some, but don't want to give anyone ideas. Just that if one is really determined, our current checks, ridiculous as they are, are NOT going to be able to find them, if they are even slightly clever and determined.

No sense in making all of us just waste time. And they never want to profile. I don't care. Profile away! I flew all over the Middle East as a kid. I see SSS (Special Security Search) on my boarding pass almost every 3rd flight, so tell me again about profiling (I'm white, btw). I get it. Mohammad should probably expect a bit more security too...just sayin'...... ;)

The bottom line is, I get that you need SOME security checks. Just don't be ridiculous about it. I shouldn't have to take off my shoes and belt to fly. There are SO many ways a determined terrorist could get weapons on a plane. I'd list some, but don't want to give anyone ideas. Just that if one is really determined, our current checks, ridiculous as they are, are NOT going to be able to find them, if they are even slightly clever and determined.

No sense in making all of us just waste time. And they never want to profile. I don't care. Profile away! I flew all over the Middle East as a kid. I see SSS (Special Security Search) on my boarding pass almost every 3rd flight, so tell me again about profiling (I'm white, btw). I get it. Mohammad should probably expect a bit more security too...just sayin'...... ;)
I agree, profiling makes sense. Sorry if your name is Mohammad and you have thick heavy clothes on in the summer time, you f ing deserve to be searched, period.

One thing I really liked was the cart. I have a good backpack, but too much weight to travel far with it. I'll add that to my list.

Brent, this is what I was looking at to store in the trunk of our cars, not sure how far off the beaten pass these thing can travel but may work for flatter surfaces out in the middle of nowhere, I was also looking at golf bag carrier because of the bigger wheels a while back too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TM27VUO/?tag=besttop10ti09-20

Foldable, supports 150lbs
61CE2Yd34eL._SL1000_.jpg

Brent, this is what I was looking at to store in the trunk of our cars, not sure how far off the beaten pass these thing can travel but may work for flatter surfaces out in the middle of nowhere, I was also looking at golf bag carrier because of the bigger wheels a while back too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TM27VUO/?tag=besttop10ti09-20

Foldable, supports 150lbs
View attachment 5257
I think that's a pretty good cross between light, stable and practical. It may not look really heavy duty, but the compactability and portability of it makes it pretty nice.

this is what I was looking at to store in the trunk of our cars, not sure how far off the beaten pass these thing can travel but may work for flatter surfaces out in the middle of nowhere, I was also looking at golf bag carrier because of the bigger wheels a while back too.

My wife has one almost just like that. She uses it to haul her stuff when she does her hair clip shows. It has been VERY rugged & durable so far. She (we) loves it. Holds quite a bit of weight as well. Not sure how it would work over very rough ground, but does fine on 'sort-of' rough ground.

cart.jpg

This is what we carry on our trips. Of course, it's broken down, disassembled, & stored flat under the cross-bed tool box. Good for about 300 lbs. and rolls very well over most types of ground.

So, our trip to Florida & back was about 3360 miles and was completely UNeventful.......except for a couple of emergency potty stops for my youngest daughter. Uneventful is good! But it was a load off mine & my wife's mind to know we were ready in case there HAD been an event.

Did anyone ever start (or find, if it already exists) this thread? I still think it would be an important topic....especially for me. NEXT MONTH!! :eek:
I think you're screwed as far as any weapons are concerned, but a water filter, medical supplies, and some sort of food rations should be cake to fly with. When you get down to it, there are lots of kinds of defensive weapons. I doubt you would have a hard time with some sort of cane/walking stick, and when you get down to it a writing pen can make a good weapon in a pinch. So, no I wouldn't have my trusty 9mm, but wouldn't consider myself defenseless.

Latest posts

Back