Being a Prepper in a Third World

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Third World Prepper

Reaction score
Hello folks! I hail from the S.E.Asia region so I'm faced with typhoons (hurricanes in Western terms) and possible Tsunamis than freezing snow. Being in a third world, over population centered in cities and very little room to maneuver or escape too (I live in an archipelago) in the provinces due to everybody knowing everybody else plus local rebels offer logistical and bug out nightmare challenges. Also, potential war or at least initial stages of war footing such as rationing of usual food and fuel supplies is a very real scenario (Yes China, it's YOUR greedy, land grabbing and bullying tactics that I am referring to!) that I also have to factor in. Finally, even if the country I live in is beset with regular natural calamities the general population does not believe in the concept of prepping. Even within my own circle of family and friends I have near zero support - no interest in stocking supplies, interest in learning basic survival skills (why learn basic field treatment of a wound when there are many hospitals) and total dependency on other family members. They are more concerned about living day-to-day than even short term 72 hr survival. The usual line is that since I'm here they know they can count on me to help them. As if I am the assigned prepper for everybody! It doesn't work that way folks but it falls on deaf ears. So, because of all this plus EXTREMELY limited financial support I am left with A LOT of knowledge and self learning/training but very, very little in the way of actual supplies and gear. My only defensive weapons are pocket knives, a machete and baseball bat and the only offensive projectile weapons are an old airsoft pistol (yeah, a bb gun) and a slingshot with about 50 marbles. So, unlike other countries where you can at least buy guns for defense I can only hope my scavenging skills in an over populated urban environment will suffice.

Welcome to the forum.
Where do you actually live? I guess southern parts of Philippines due to you mentioning local rebels.
There are a few of your country men/women on this forum.

Welcome to the forum.
Where do you actually live? I guess southern parts of Philippines due to you mentioning local rebels.
There are a few of your country men/women on this forum.
Thank you for the greeting! I am very happy to find this forum as it deals with something I feel very strongly about. I hope to be able to learn about practical and creative prepping ideas here as well as interact with other preppers on a global scale.
Actually I live in the capital. It's over populated and (if you may have heard from those also from the Philippines) has a large gap between exceedingly wealthy (think driving around in Ferrari and Porche even in traffic) to exceedingly poor (living out of cardboard boxes and trash). It's the reality of an unequal and diverse third world economy. Anyway, because of the diversity in the society you can just imagine if SHTF you will have hordes of poverty level masses begging, looting and ransacking just to stay alive. They don't loot for fun - they loot to survive. And because they are already used to having nothing they have nothing to lose and in their eyes they are in the right - they just want to survive. The rich - with all their guns and high walls - will probably form their own Areas of Control (AoC) where the rich will band together and create their own fiefdom (they are doing it already under the disguise of "local official"). If WROL/SHTF scenario trying to survive will be a challenge as I can neither fend of a horde of starving poor or offer anything of value to filthy rich bastards who probably only know the Gun Rule (he who has the guns makes the rules). Remember that I am talking about WROL scenarios or where national government is incapable of effectively governing parts or whole of the capital.

Hello folks! I hail from the S.E.Asia region so I'm faced with typhoons (hurricanes in Western terms) and possible Tsunamis than freezing snow. Being in a third world, over population centered in cities and very little room to maneuver or escape too (I live in an archipelago) in the provinces due to everybody knowing everybody else plus local rebels offer logistical and bug out nightmare challenges. Also, potential war or at least initial stages of war footing such as rationing of usual food and fuel supplies is a very real scenario (Yes China, it's YOUR greedy, land grabbing and bullying tactics that I am referring to!) that I also have to factor in. Finally, even if the country I live in is beset with regular natural calamities the general population does not believe in the concept of prepping. Even within my own circle of family and friends I have near zero support - no interest in stocking supplies, interest in learning basic survival skills (why learn basic field treatment of a wound when there are many hospitals) and total dependency on other family members. They are more concerned about living day-to-day than even short term 72 hr survival. The usual line is that since I'm here they know they can count on me to help them. As if I am the assigned prepper for everybody! It doesn't work that way folks but it falls on deaf ears. So, because of all this plus EXTREMELY limited financial support I am left with A LOT of knowledge and self learning/training but very, very little in the way of actual supplies and gear. My only defensive weapons are pocket knives, a machete and baseball bat and the only offensive projectile weapons are an old airsoft pistol (yeah, a bb gun) and a slingshot with about 50 marbles. So, unlike other countries where you can at least buy guns for defense I can only hope my scavenging skills in an over populated urban environment will suffice.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

I had a friend visit Manila with his Wife last month. He happens to be one of the best survival experts in Australia.
As Clyde always signs off with - Chance favors the prepared mind!
The brain is the mightiest of weapons when properly trained and used!
Survival really is a state of mind.
I believe the greater Manila area is about 40,000,000 people, a lot of the Cities are next to each other.
My friend stayed in the tourist areas and felt really safe with all the armed guards every where he went.
History has always shown issues in countries where there is a disparity in the common wealth of its people.
It's unfortunate that we don't ever learn.
Train your mind and prepare. Reading through this forum will help.

I had a friend visit Manila with his Wife last month. He happens to be one of the best survival experts in Australia.
As Clyde always signs off with - Chance favors the prepared mind!
The brain is the mightiest of weapons when properly trained and used!
Survival really is a state of mind.
I believe the greater Manila area is about 40,000,000 people, a lot of the Cities are next to each other.
My friend stayed in the tourist areas and felt really safe with all the armed guards every where he went.
History has always shown issues in countries where there is a disparity in the common wealth of its people.
It's unfortunate that we don't ever learn.
Train your mind and prepare. Reading through this forum will help.
Well said, and thank you for the shout out!

Latest posts

Back