Beginner Prepper Essentials

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heroic Prepper....I feel like we're just being used for youtube views.
Post some conversation please.

Meh, it is how he makes money. I am sure he does the same on other sites. It is up to the mods to say if they will allow the ads or not.
I do not watch the videos, but it has started other interesting conversations.
I do not begrudge him.

Having said that, what would you consider Beginner Prepper Essentials?
I tend to go skill set heavy. OJT during or post-SHTF is a really bad time to learn how to do things. Best to learn now while if you mess up, you can still get chinese carry out or goto the ER if it is that bad.

start with the bare essentials: Shelter, food, water, security and first aid.

We broke it down like this:
Food
Water
Shelter - to include wet/cold weather gear, heat
Security - Both physical to include medical and mental security

Then set Threshold and Objective goals.
Food - Threshold of a well stocked pantry/stockpile of food. Objective of being able to produce enough food through gardening, small crops, raising small, medium and large livestock, and hunting to feed oneself and family.
Water - Have readily available fresh water source. Threshold having commercial filtration system. Objective being able to build a water filtration system from scratch.
Shelter - Threshold have a well insulated home, with a non-electrical heating/cooking source. Objective being able to build a home, and a wood heat source. Threshold having cold/wet weather gear. Objective being able to make clothing.
Security - Threshold and Objective being of sound mind and good physical shape. Physical security could be something like Threshold of basic marksmanship and safety with a firearm. Objective of being a Master rifleman (per COL Jeff Cooper's definition). Or Threshold of having X many rounds per firearm. Objective being having the supplies to reload, or even the supplies and knowledge to make blackpowder. Or make a bow and arrows. Medical could be Threshold of basic first aid. Objective of EMT/Paramedic certification or similar. Could even add herbalist.

Goals. My goal is not just to survive but to make a long term emergence of civilization. What good is it if you have enough food for one or two years, and then watch every one starve to death? Our civilization is doomed. You all know what the causes are going to be. Plan to live, not just to survive a month or so and then get "saved" By what?

Goals. My goal is not just to survive but to make a long term emergence of civilization. What good is it if you have enough food for one or two years, and then watch every one starve to death? Our civilization is doomed. You all know what the causes are going to be. Plan to live, not just to survive a month or so and then get "saved" By what?
Well said.
For many, I think getting through the initial "bottleneck" would be the biggest issue. IF some of the studies are correct and a collapse of the gird or the JIT/BAU system were to occur and there is a 90% (I have read even higher %) die off, then things might not be as bad.
Think of it this way, when at the grocery store, count off 9 people as those who would not make it. That is a huge population decrease. IF you can get through the initial bottleneck, even living in the sub-burbs, then you could have a lot of land to garden or farm.
With the right community, you could even be the next establishment of the new civilization. It might be a bit more rustic, rural, low-tech, but it meets the basics of Maslow's hierarchy of needs it would be a start.

I have not one shred of interest in the reemergence of civilization after the collapse, this will take so many years, decades etc. that I will be long gone before it happens.
I intend to live a quiet basic simple life for as long as I have left and I will be happy and satisfied with that.
what happens to other people is not my concern, they have their choices and they will have to live or die by them.

Last edited:
Heroic Prepper....I feel like we're just being used for youtube views.
Post some conversation please.
Slowly starting to agree with you AH. I've been prepping since 1974, and like many on this site...we are at stage 8 and 9 of ten possible prepping levels...
getting boring to hear of what we have been doing for decades...

Slowly starting to agree with you AH. I've been prepping since 1974, and like many on this site...we are at stage 8 and 9 of ten possible prepping levels...
getting boring to hear of what we have been doing for decades...

Everyone has to start somewhere.
At one point in time, we were all beginners.
Up till about 10 years ago, I have never seen livestock outside of driving past a farm or at the county fair. Now, I have small, medium and large livestock, have slaughtered, butchered and processed rabbits, chickens, turkeys and hogs.

Camping is the prep for preppers. In 40 years of camping I have learned what works, what you need. The more you go camping you fine tune the gear you take with you. There are things you can do to improvise and then there are necessities. An example: large trash bags work great as rain poncho or to keep you warm. Lots of stores sell gimmicks, but it is hard to learn skills. Can you sharpen a knife or build a fire with only 3 matches? I grab a tent, sleeping bag and pad. My camp box, food and weapons and I am ready to go. Everything I need and nothing I don't.

Latest posts

Back