Bees

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you just let them eat the honey? How do you feed them? That reminds me, I will feed mine Monday when it hits 60°
We didn't take any honey from the hives last summer, left it for the bees. Since late October we've only had a couple days above freezing (33 degs). When the temp gets above 50 degs in a couple months we'll start feeding them again.

Got the bees home, put them in new hive and fed them. Wore me out.

You aren't supposed to work with bees when it is windy. I didn't have a choice. Our wind speed is 23 mph not counting the gusts.

I only got stung once and that was my fault. Got them out of the car and took top off box without wearing any protective gear.

Sometimes weather isn't good when installing bees . That is why after coming home from clearing brush had you on my mind knowing the extreme weather now moving through your area and wanted to check on your bee situation . Last spring my son-in-law had two packages of bees come in and we had to install them in a severe thunderstorm with lightning flashing all about . They made it through the winter and hopefully will be building up . I also put in a package of bees last year for myself and they to are out and about .

Last edited:
Today is bee hive splitting day up the hill from me , as my son-in-law and Grandson have some Queen cells in their hives . Though my hive is strong , I have no plans to go into my hive or split it , as my one hive is plenty for me .
I have never split. I probably would mislabel the queen.

I have never split. I probably would mislabel the queen.
I went old school and simply placed my bee hive near some low and convenient limbs for them to swarm onto . I have a 10 frame hive readied in case that does happen . I figure if they split and some goes elsewhere , the queen in my hive will produce plenty more bees . -- On the other hand my son-in-law is wanting to be more assured of a increase in the number of hives he has .

Last edited:
I noticed this week the bees are gone. I don't even know when it happened. I'm in over my head this year.

It seems everyone is sold out of packages locally. Any advice from you experienced bee keepers? I have no idea what I am doing. I'm considering just no bees again until I catch up on everyone else.

I noticed this week the bees are gone. I don't even know when it happened. I'm in over my head this year.

It seems everyone is sold out of packages locally. Any advice from you experienced bee keepers? I have no idea what I am doing. I'm considering just no bees again until I catch up on everyone else.
Bees are finicky. I had 2 hives abscond a week apart. This is after they had survived the winter. My mentor says they just take off. I know if they go queen less, they will swarm. Did you check for wax moths (white webs)?

Latest posts

Back