Bees

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had time to learn bee keeping and be able to keep up to proficiently keep them for honey. I picked up a nice size jar this weekend..roadside stand..about 2 hours from me... supposedly orange blossom from South Carolina..haven't cracked jar yet to taste, but think I will tomorrow.

I don't care for the turmeric/ginger/honey tea either. I've found much more pleasant ways to get turmeric, ginger and honey into my body regularly. I cook Indian food (we love it) once a week for all the turmeric and ginger one could want in a lifetime; and have no problem consuming honey in a variety of dessert applications. :)

Last edited:
My favorite honey is star thistle. My most hated weed is star thistle. Thankfully it doesn't grow at our elevation.
About a month ago I added a third box to our hives. It was supposed to be the honey box. I checked it a couple days ago and its full of bees, but they haven't done anything in there yet. I'm probably going to start feeding the bees soon. I'll talk with our bee guy this week and see what he thinks.

We became pretty good friends with a local bee guy. He's got over 10,000 hives scattered around the area, plus Texas, North Dakota, California etc. The other day he gave me 15 gallons of syrup and a 25 pound block of pollen. Today we ordered some varroa mite treatment for the hives. He comes out every few weeks and checks on our hives too. In return I let him graze a bunch of his cattle up here.

My experience with pollen patties , it attracts hive beetles . Right now my one and only hive , I have on one deep and now 3 medium supers with the hopes they will be able to at least partially comb and fill with honey the 4th super before frost . I am feeding them 1/2 gallon of sugar water daily trying to help them put honey in that 4th super . I have about 6 weeks until frost .

As many of you know, I have been putting urine around the coop every night. I also have a cloth that I soak and put on the gate. The last 4 mornings, the cloth has been covered with my honey bees.

Guessing the sugar content in the urine attracted them. None of us has diabetes so it's probably all urine. Who would have guessed.

My honey quota is 98% off this year.

Attachments

• 20221001_130122.jpg
    20221001_130122.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Rule #22.... do not wear Crocs to bees. They crawl into the holes and sting your toes.
The wife wears sandles because her foot is still swollen. She gets stung on her foot sometimes too. The other day we fed the bees and gave them some slabs of pollen. One of the little buggers crawled up my pants leg and stung me in a very sensitive area. Later that night a yellow jacket stung me on top of the head, in our bedroom.

The wife wears sandles because her foot is still swollen. She gets stung on her foot sometimes too. The other day we fed the bees and gave them some slabs of pollen. One of the little buggers crawled up my pants leg and stung me in a very sensitive area. Later that night a yellow jacket stung me on top of the head, in our bedroom.
AD, she might want to look into the Telic boot that is for people after surgery or injury. I wear Telic shoes. I have 4 different styles but am thinking about getting the boots for cooler weather. They mold to the foot by the heat. I love them. Recommended for plantar fasciitis.

I recommend going a size larger. They tend to run small.

Does anyone in here use a long langstroth?

How long do your pollen patties last, AD? I got an email saying Blue Sky was having a sale on them. I have never used them, so I am curious.
We had a 20 pound block. We cut it in roughly 1 pound slices. It seems like they lasted 1 or 2 weeks. We haven't opened the hives all winter.

Latest posts

Back