Bees

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for the bee experts here. What do you suggest for protecting bee hives in heavy snow country? Most of our winter storms dump 1 to 4 feet of snow at a time, and it doesn't melt until spring. Should I build a roof over the hives, or move the hives in to the barn for the winter? Should I just dig the snow out from around the hives after every storm?
The wife would eventually like to have 6 or 8 hives. I've already built her a bee house where she can store everything she needs for bee keeping and for processing the honey.

I have a question for the bee experts here. What do you suggest for protecting bee hives in heavy snow country? Most of our winter storms dump 1 to 4 feet of snow at a time, and it doesn't melt until spring. Should I build a roof over the hives, or move the hives in to the barn for the winter? Should I just dig the snow out from around the hives after every storm?
The wife would eventually like to have 6 or 8 hives. I've already built her a bee house where she can store everything she needs for bee keeping and for processing the honey.
I'm probably the most inexperienced, but I vote no to barn. They still do cleansing flights. They take the dead bees out. I wouldn't say no to a roof overhead. I made the mistake of wrapping mine and killed them. They still need air and for the moisture to be able to escape. Some put a nickel in the corner of the lid for moisture to escape. Of course, it's much warmer here.

I'm probably the most inexperienced, but I vote no to barn. They still do cleansing flights. They take the dead bees out. I wouldn't say no to a roof overhead. I made the mistake of wrapping mine and killed them. They still need air and for the moisture to be able to escape. Some put a nickel in the corner of the lid for moisture to escape. Of course, it's much warmer here.
Yeah I dont like the idea of putting them in the barn either. Even if I build a roof over the hives the wind will still blow snow in through the sides. I could put the hives in a location where I could clear the snow with the tractor, and then shovel around the hives by hand. I was just concerned that a heavy snowfall could smother the hives before I could get them dug out.

Last week the wife ordered 2 packages of bees. They should be ready to pickup in May.

So how many hives will that make you? A good YouTube to watch for keeping bees alive in lots of snow and cold is the couple in Alaska. They’ve managed to keep their bees going in that environment.

Here is a link.

So how many hives will that make you? A good YouTube to watch for keeping bees alive in lots of snow and cold is the couple in Alaska. They’ve managed to keep their bees going in that environment.

Here is a link.

Right now we only have two hives. We plan on getting 2-4 more by next year.
I'll check out this video when I get an internet connection.

Last Saturday we picked up 2 packages of bees. We put them in the hives that afternoon and the temp was 35 degs. Everything looked good for a day or two, then the temps dropped to the low teens and we got a couple feet of snow since then. Today it warmed up to 45 degs so we opened the hives. All of the bees were dead. We're trying to find a couple more packages or nucs to refill the hives.
Found out today that the dogs love eating dead bees.

We just put another package of bees in the 4th hive this evening. One of the little buggers stung me on the middle finger. Gentle my arse.
My wife is a little nuts. She spilled a few bees on the ground so she picked each one up and gently put it in the hive. She'll probably start naming them soon.
I would start to worry if she wants to argue which one is which.

We fed the bees this morning. They go through about a gallon of syrup every 3 days per hive. Now that its warming up and flowers are starting to bloom, the bees should be out foraging. We pulled a few frames out and it looks like they're doing what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe in another week or 2 we can add another brood box on each hive.
The bee guy said he'll come out in a week or so to check on the queens and make sure everything is going well.

You brought up a good question for me. How far away does the hive need to be away from lawn mowers. Etc. I can go deeper away from the lawn.

I also use a tiller in the spring. In my Beekeeping for Dummies book, he doesn't even wear gloves except for certain times of year when they are more easily agitated. He has Italian and Russian.

The head of the bee club says that 3 of the members sell bees so that' worth looking into. Her hives are 10s, but I read that when you are acclimating the queen, you only use 8 to have room for her box. Do you have to add the other 2?

Thats a great question.
My father in Law got swarmed when he went by one of his hives.
Apparently he did this all the time and they never swarmed him in the past.
I guess they were a bit ornery that day for some reason.

Latest posts

Back