been thinking

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you invest in a peace of property with others and start a small village

• Total voters
My wife and I own several hundred acres in the mountains (in a western state) totally surrounded by national forest and is several miles off a little traveled road. Its behind a locked forest service gate too. The closest neighbor is about 5 miles away. We would like to find a couple of people that would be interested in joining with us in developement of this property. The property has timber, medows, springs, a pond, lots of wildlife and a well. We looked long and hard for a place like this.

I don't play well with others and prefer to do most things myself, to be honest lazy people wouldn't bother me as they would keep me busy and I actually like being busy, its the lazy people who know the least yet still have to know it the loudest that would drive me crazy.

If you do build this community I would build it out of preppers and prepper families only, at least you know your bringing in people who are like minded, establish a hierarchy before SHTF, who is the best for first aid, who can hunt the best, who has had experience in leadership? it might be your town, but you may have a better leader who isn't you, are you prepared to hand over the reigns to the best benefit of your custom built community?

To me I think it would be ideal to have a community of very close families. I cant say why other than I couldn't imagine my wife and I alone for a long period of time. Not because we wouldn't get along, but because I would fear for our sanity.

Isolation is unhealthy. Man is a social animal. As much as I love my husband and as good as we get along, I wouldn't want to live in isolation with him.

....We would like to find a couple of people that would be interested in joining with us in developement of this property. The property has timber, medows, springs, a pond, lots of wildlife and a well. We looked long and hard for a place like this.

You're talking about something like a commune of the past. Are you planning to sell lots or just allow people to build and maybe charge them a small rent?

You're talking about something like a commune of the past. Are you planning to sell lots or just allow people to build and maybe charge them a small rent?

No, not a commune. We bought the place hoping that family would be interested, but they're not. We've considered selling an intrest in the property to a couple of people, drawn up by a lawyer of course, instead of splitting off lots.

No, not a commune. We bought the place hoping that family would be interested, but they're not. We've considered selling an intrest in the property to a couple of people, drawn up by a lawyer of course, instead of splitting off lots.
I think the nervousness with sharing the same land is kind of the same as being a roommate off a lease, there's always that risk of not getting along or having a dispute and getting kicked out. Regardless of contracts since they won't matter much when SHTF. With all that being said I still want to one day I hope to find another family to prep with. Just not financially able yet.

That's something you really need to think about because as Haloray says, there could be falling outs - then what? You must also consider jobs in the area. Is it so isolated that any job paying a living wage is a long long commute? Is the land and climate severe with a short growing season and closed passes due to snow? Would or could the average person or prepper want to live there self-sufficiently? The mountains can be a pretty harsh place to survive.

if i owned the needed land where i could choose who lived there and who don't..i'd pick the ppl that i feel/beleave that i could trust,benefit from,and do thier share of helping out with things to do.be it family and friends alike..then i'd sit down with all of them to explain things to them while makeing sure that (they) know that i have the final say so on things no matter what.and if they dont agree to that.then they aint welcome there when the shtf..pluse what old anorak would do is a good idea.let at least some of them have homes on the land..but not sell it...have the homes spread out,not to far apart and where the property line can be watched at any given time..and have all minral and water rights as well..drill wells and have the needed water pumps installed,in which electric and hand oprated pumps will included as well..clear out the areas that needs clearing for a better range of fire.cut what trees needed to stock up on fire wood,but leave what trees i can at same time..

let at least some of them have homes on the land..but not sell it...have the homes spread out,not to far apart and where the property line can be watched at any given time..

I don't think many people would want to spend their money building on someone else's land. It would be costly or impossible to move the cabin or house in case of a falling-out. Or if the owner of the land should die for some reason. Would his/her heirs sell the land or allow the people to remain? If so, get it in writing. There's a lot to think about on both sides.

good point kitty..make a will for the one or two person(s) you trust the most to inherit the property.and make it completly clear in the will that the person(s) in queston has to keep the intire amount of property,and not sell/rent any of it.and continue to allow the ppl already liveing there,gets to keep liveing there as is as long as they live by the set of rules/laws..yeah it can be costly building or moveing a home..and there will be diffrences.but thats so true in every day life aready.and you pointed about jobs in a post.live close enough to a city where it's not to far to drive each way.for example only,no more then 20-30 miles each way if that far.and hopefully have a good reliable and dependable vehicle to drive..

good point kitty..make a will for the one or two person(s) you trust the most to inherit the property.and make it completly clear in the will that the person(s) in queston has to keep the intire amount of property,and not sell/rent any of it.and continue to allow the ppl already liveing there,gets to keep liveing there as is as long as they live by the set of rules/laws..yeah it can be costly building or moveing a home..and there will be diffrences.but thats so true in every day life aready.and you pointed about jobs in a post.live close enough to a city where it's not to far to drive each way.for example only,no more then 20-30 miles each way if that far.and hopefully have a good reliable and dependable vehicle to drive..

Clear that with your heirs first. They could fight something like that in court or cause very hard feeling among them.

The other alternative is for the people to live there in RVs or those modular movable, or towable homes. Not everyone would want to go that route though. It could still be a real hardship if they had barns and livestock and gardens, and had to move. Jobs would be important for those not yet retired. They would need an income until TSHTF. I would think about those with children. As you know, they can be a blessing or a curse. One problem child in the group and you're in for serious problems as the group agrees and/or disagrees with each other over how to handle it. That's why so many places in FL are for people of 55 and over. Something similar can be said for pets. You have a lot to think about and if you're really serious, may want to discuss this with a lawyer before you take the next step.

Clear that with your heirs first. They could fight something like that in court or cause very hard feeling among them.

The other alternative is for the people to live there in RVs or those modular movable, or towable homes. Not everyone would want to go that route though. It could still be a real hardship if they had barns and livestock and gardens, and had to move. Jobs would be important for those not yet retired. They would need an income until TSHTF. I would think about those with children. As you know, they can be a blessing or a curse. One problem child in the group and you're in for serious problems as the group agrees and/or disagrees with each other over how to handle it. That's why so many places in FL are for people of 55 and over. Something similar can be said for pets. You have a lot to think about and if you're really serious, may want to discuss this with a lawyer before you take the next step.

:confused:v heirs?lol thats true.that could be a problem there.rv's is a good idea.that way they can live in them untill they and/or me decide one way or another..as for barns and livestock goes,im game on acount that could mean extra milk meat and all for the tableas ...far as jobs go..the land needs to be close enough to town to make a diffrence,and still be far enough out to be comfortable..the children will need schooling with no dubt.public schools or home schooling.as for as pets go..the ones that sounds a alarm and shuts up when instructed to.is a good idea..cause that means we're alertd of someone nd we take the needed actions

yea i seen that show also and when I lived in Indiana which is were they are I visited and for the cost im not interested but im thinking more like a campground style set up cabins and small villige type set up more like the town in the movie trimmers small self suficiant off grid town

I believe that could be a great idea and a good set up as well. You just would need to control who leased or purchased each parcel of land or cabin etc and make sure each person has a skill set to offer the community, like a doctor, construction people, security/military a d so on. If you do it like that with clear understanding that you are in charge then you may have something good.

I have a large group of people I trust and they are all coming to me. I am King in this group and it is well understood. When SHTF heaven help anyone who isn't welcome.

'Trust' being the most prevalent word in prepping, I only trust my kids and wife, that's not to say I don't network but I do it at a distance. I don't get along with very many humans since I have a tendency to push a little to hard and cold so, no, I wouldn't invest with others (outside wife and kids) it wouldn't work out (guaranteed)

Maverick obviously " does not play well with others ". Me too most of the time.

Lisa been trying to change that for a good while... Though if one of the network groups gets into trouble (attacked etc..) I would help but as far as staying within a compound that would be a no, I'm the one staying outside the fortified walls, I'm in my element!

Latest posts

Back