Beef Bacon

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOS0231

Demi-God
Reaction score
After St. Patrick's day, brisket is usually on sale. The wife picked up a few and we froze them.

This is a 2.25lbs cut of brisket. I scaled back the curing salt/brown sugar accordingly (from a 5lbs pork belly). Vacuum sealed it and let it cure for 5 days. The beef is too thick to cure all the way through, but that was a given.
Took it out of the bag, washed it off, then broiled it on high to get a good crust on each side. Then slow cooked at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. It would not be cooked though (if I wanted to do that, 250 for 6-8 hours). Let it cool, then put it back into a zip lock bag with any of the fat/sugar that rendered. Let rest for another 2 days.
It is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 12
Looks great to me! But I’ve been on a diet for a while now and everything makes me drool! lol.

After St. Patrick's day, brisket is usually on sale. The wife picked up a few and we froze them.

This is a 2.25lbs cut of brisket. I scaled back the curing salt/brown sugar accordingly (from a 5lbs pork belly). Vacuum sealed it and let it cure for 5 days. The beef is too thick to cure all the way through, but that was a given.
Took it out of the bag, washed it off, then broiled it on high to get a good crust on each side. Then slow cooked at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. It would not be cooked though (if I wanted to do that, 250 for 6-8 hours). Let it cool, then put it back into a zip lock bag with any of the fat/sugar that rendered. Let rest for another 2 days.
It is awesome.
Looks real good! May need to try this recipe. I think a cold smoke on it would be really good.

A little off the topic, but I got the new baffle for my smoker and now I can cold smoke cheese.
Smoked cheddars, Gouda's, Gruyeres, Mozzarellas, Havarti and provolones. . . YUM!! You just can't go wrong with a good smoked cheese. If you ever run acrossed a smoked cheddar from Ford Farms called Dorset, it's one of my absolute favorites.

Smoked cheddars, Gouda's, Gruyeres, Mozzarellas, Havarti and provolones. . . YUM!! You just can't go wrong with a good smoked cheese. If you ever run acrossed a smoked cheddar from Ford Farms called Dorset, it's one of my absolute favorites.
We should have a thread on cheese. The other day I smoked cheddar and Swiss. Swiss is my favorite, followed by gouda and mozzarella.

There have been a few smoked cheeses that I liked, but I generally prefer non smoked. I even buy non smoked provolone as my everyday cheese.

Not too crazy about smoke flavor in anything unless it's from apple, mesquite or pecan. Hickory smoke especially bothers my stomach.

There have been a few smoked cheeses that I liked, but I generally prefer non smoked. I even buy non smoked provolone as my everyday cheese.

Not too crazy about smoke flavor in anything unless it's from apple, mesquite or pecan. Hickory smoke especially bothers my stomach.
I never smoke with hickory or mesquite, too strong for my liking. I use mostly alder, apple, cherry, pear, pecan and sometimes oak. For most cheese I use apple. Only smoke for 30 minutes, turn off power and let sit in the smoker for 90 minutes.

Mesquite is good for venison, that's all I have used it for though. I've experimented with some local wood, most of it was awful. I got some pineapple guava wood from my sister's yard and it's pretty good but I don't have a good supply for it. She cut the trees down and didn't save me any even though I asked her to. 😕

Latest posts

Back