Becoming a Trading Post

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Odd as it may sound, post SHTF, I foresee a time when society does somewhat stabilize. For the most part, I'm hoping our rural location keeps us from dealing with much of the chaos. But, eventually, we'll want to interact more with others (and get things we'll need/want from others).

So, here are the things we'd plan on offering at our place:

WATER - With a well, lots of water storage, lots of rain, and access to nearby fresh water sources, this seems an easy thing to trade.

FOOD - With gardens, home-canning, and renewable rabbits, chickens, eggs (and lots of frogs, and snakes), should be something we could offer then.

MEDICAL SERVICES - One of our group is a former EMT, so we could offer this service to trade, along with medical herbs and home-remedies.

INFORMATION - I have been collecting books, maps, pdfs, etc. with info that we could reprint or save to drives, etc. (as long as we can keep some power going)

HORSE TACK - We currently run a tack shop (horse supplies, saddles, etc.), so we'd still have this post disaster. (includes a lot of footwear too, we had some deals on this, so a lot of stock).

SAFE LODGING & MEALS (TEMPORARY) - I have some more detailed info on how to make this safe for all, but basically, a place to lay your head (for a defined time) without worry is a pretty nice commodity.

PROSTITUTION - Morals aside, I know some women in our group who would actually do this in such a situation (though not normally). They have the looks to make it worth the trade too. Oddly enough, I only include it because THEY brought it up...not me.

REPAIRS - I have a pretty well-stocked garage with tools, and those in the group can do a variety of repairs, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, etc.

The above are things we could do now. But I'd like to learn (or have some in the group learn) Ammo Reloading, Making Biodiesel, Making Alcohol, Growing/Processing Tobacco (and similar plants), and Blacksmithing to offer these items/services as well. (and of course, for our own needs)

We'd trade for things we can't make like pharmaceutical drugs, ammo (that the trader can't use for their weapons), batteries, camping gear, news, manufactured items (likely looted from cities), medical supplies, gardening items, tools, etc.

I agree with you. Once the survivors get over the initial shock of what ever happens we will begin to rebuild. I have thought of this before to but we will have to wait and see what will be needed for currency. If the government currency is no longer of value. What do you think we could use for currency?

Once things stabilize people will have a lot of these things figured out for themselves. If you have too much stuff I believe you will be a target. The biggest problem I see is the possible large gangs having territory controlling what and who is doing any trading. No different than a drug lord having his area. Unless there is a strong government to provide public safety ie: law enforcement & military, that is what I fear may happen. Not trying to be a downer but just something to consider.

good point trapper..thats why i beleave it's a good idea of 20+ ppl liveing on a certain size peice of land.and takeing turns at keeping watch on the property and things on it dureing the day and night..

and gazrok..one thing you might want to look into is diffrent sources of electric.then go with what works best for you and everyone else there.and it'd be a source that yall can do the repairs modify n so on

It is something I've considered Trapper. I've always been a pretty good diplomat though. I'm hoping that if I can't beat them (gangs) with folks and weapons, then hopefully I can get them to see that leaving us here to produce for the long haul, is a better option than a one time looting. Like a tribute payment kind of thing (and in exchange for protection from other gangs, or they may want the same deal). Heck, maybe I'll even get them to wipe each other out to more manageable numbers.

What do you think we could use for currency?

Initially, barter. But, I think that small, valuable items that are easily divisible will become their own currency, like cigarettes, bullets, etc.
Like this: 1 can of food = 3 cigarettes. A bullet = 2 cigarettes. A gallon of gas = 10 cigarettes or 3 cans of food or 5 bullets, etc.

good point trapper..thats why i beleave it's a good idea of 20+ ppl liveing on a certain size peice of land.and takeing turns at keeping watch on the property and things on it dureing the day and night..

and gazrok..one thing you might want to look into is diffrent sources of electric.then go with what works best for you and everyone else there.and it'd be a source that yall can do the repairs modify n so on

Currently, we have a dozen or so, depending on who can make it here. I'm sure we'd easily add a few more after such an event, as long as we grow to trust them. So yes, having the numbers is important. I have plans to incorporate some solar, some wind, and diesel (so also biodiesel) generators for power (and I'm checking into propane), but a matter of what will be in place at the time something happens (if anything does).

Another service we plan to offer. COMMUNICATION. I plan on getting my HAM license, and some basic equipment. We'd also have a bulletin board for information, people trying to find loved ones, etc. Plus, we could establish communication with other post SHTF businesses, locations, etc. Granted, a certain amount of risk in this, so would have to be weighed, and the timing would have to be right.

Once things stabilize people will have a lot of these things figured out for themselves

Perhaps, but there will be travelers also, when things stabilize. Basically, the trading post idea will give us access to items we'd have to brave the cities for, but without the risk to ourselves. Now, we may not get travelers regularly, but with stability and communication, a bit more of a possibility.

Just me personally, I wouldn't want strangers showing up at my place for whatever it is they think I have. All it would take would be one happy idiot to decide the price was too steep and your whole family could pay the price.​

Yep, it's why I've developed a strict protocol for conducting safe trade, whether an individual or group. (group sends ONE representative to trade). I'll have to post it at some point. I'm still tweaking the details, but basically, it defines how they should approach, covering them with a rifle, searching them, etc. Granted, this would only be after a time, that I felt it safer to try this, after things have stabilized somewhat. It may never even get to that point, for all I know. We wouldn't be stockpiling anything we wouldn't be able to use ourselves, other than tobacco, and even that has some medicinal applications.

At least 12 of us so far. 5 of the twelve live at the ranch, 5 more are just 10 minutes away. 2 have an hour drive to get here. May increase as the years go on though. 3 close families (and none younger than teens).

At least 12 of us so far. 5 of the twelve live at the ranch, 5 more are just 10 minutes away. 2 have an hour drive to get here. May increase as the years go on though. 3 close families (and none younger than teens).
All family or other preppers?

My family are all "light" preppers, but with the upcoming garden project, and chickens in the spring, they'll be a bit more experienced. We own a ranch, and ride horses, etc., so we're slowly all converting to real country folk. (My wife and I both work in nearby cities though). One family has a cop (and former Marine) for the dad, a former EMT for the mom, and two young adults, one teenager. Not preppers per se', but we've all talked about it, and they plan to come here if such an event occurs. We are all good friends, and hang out alot. Needless to say, those skills will be real assets too, but they are friends first. The skills are just a happy accident. The couple who has a drive, he's ex-Army (we've been friends for years). He's more of a storm prepper than a SHTF prepper. So, we all take the threat seriously, but the prepping tasks are mostly up to my family as our location. All I asked them to do was bring their weapons, and anything else they can carry, and have BOBs (bug out bags) of their own.

The flaw that I see is that you are accounting for people to be 'reasonable and sane if not polite', in other words civilized. That's fine and dandy if and that is a big IF people can hold on to those shreds of dignity, but if you are dealing with say a father who's child has been hungry for days or sick then that is a whole new ballpark.

I'm a parent and I know to what lengths I would go to see that my child is taken care of. I know others on this board who are the same type of parent. That's why we do what we do now to ensure our families are taken care of. Now consider the average city dweller who has become used to picking up take out for dinner and wanting for nothing. When their families start starving, you will be dealing with a person whose reasoning powers are gone. For them it's simple math: You have what they need, they will take what they need and to hell with your rules. Look at inner-city riots, look at the countries now that are in chaos, I doubt it will be much different here.

That's fine and dandy if and that is a big IF people can hold on to those shreds of dignity, but if you are dealing with say a father who's child has been hungry for days or sick then that is a whole new ballpark.

Failure to follow the rules....designed for our safety....means they are treated as any other intruder. Shot from a fortified position.

if you create a "waiting area" away from your house, and send an rc vehicle out to collect payment then drive it back with whatever they wanted. maybe put a cheap two way radio in it so they can tell you what they want?

if you create a "waiting area" away from your house, and send an rc vehicle out to collect payment then drive it back with whatever they wanted. maybe put a cheap two way radio in it so they can tell you what they want?

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I came up with. The RC vehicle has the two-way radio in it, so we can communicate, and I can get a "feel" for the person. (did you come up with this, or did I put it already in another thread?)

The "waiting area" is the outer gate of the place.

However, there is likely to be some more direct negotiation needed, so the idea is after the radio conversation, ONE person only is allowed in to trade, after they approach solo, hands up, etc. and are searched (covered by rifles the whole time they approach) before coming in (and then with two guards ready).

They'll need to see what we have to offer for trade, say what they have, etc., etc. In any event, only one trader is allowed in at a time. We don't need them being inside our perimeter with numbers.

You could set up a CCTV and wired communication system running on 12 Volts from your place to your "trading post" for monitoring. This would be at a distance of around 200 meters.

The CCTV is in the plan, really more for immediate business purposes, but likely not until next year.
I love the web-based ones (as you can easily see them on your cell), but post SHTF that would be useless. But, the big problem with the wired is distance and running all that wire.

Still, may be the best way to go, especially if they can still have the cell capability as an option on top of it.

No trading will occur. It's a very romantic idea though. If society is trying to rebuild stand back and let it. Most people trying to be in the game will get played by the game. Only a small few will come out on top. An open market trade with no law or governmental protection will be targeted quickly and ruthlessly. It's easy to scout, it's easy to follow and its easy to find your base when you have business, at some point someone has to get the goods then BAM they got you. Until order is restored I say HELL NO.... Trading between known local groups maybe..... but still very risky.

Latest posts

Back