Beans

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
A small quantity of dry beans may be substituted for some of the canned beans. Dry beans can be planted as seed in a garden and they will produce a new crop of beans at the end of the summer growing season. Dry beans are sold at most grocery stores inside 1, 2, and 4 pound plastic bags. However, it should be noted that dry beans will continue to get drier and drier with the passage of time and they will gradually become too hard to cook and eat after about 3 or 4 years in storage. Therefore, if you anticipate storing your beans for an extended period of time then the canned beans are a better option. Canned beans are already fully cooked inside the can and they will be edible many, many years after the printed expiration date on the can.

So I buy beans in 50 lb bags. If stored in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers will they still only last 3 or 4 years before they are too dried out to eat?

That's a good question. I have both canned beans and dry beans in mylar. I always thought of the beans in mylar as my last resort for food. If they are going to get to be too dry then I will have to rethink how/when I turn to them. I have heard that you csn grind them up for cooking to not lose the nutrition (and not be wasteful) but then I would think you might still have the gastro effects because you didn't pre-soak away that aspect of the bean.

I've cooked beans older than 4 years and they were alright. Once you get past 6 years or so, it's really hard to cook them soft, even days of cooking doesn't help a whole lot. Grinding them up and adding them to whatever you are cooking will give you the same nutrients and you don't lose your food source.

As to how mylar and o2 absorbers work, I can't tell you, I don't use them.

Latest posts

Back