Bayonets

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK-Ghost

Reaction score
Has anyone here used a bayonet as a work knife?

I've taken on a project with a K98, they're cheap if you look hard enough and have an interesting history.

The project has been inspired by reading the history and usage of various Gaucho Knives, the larger of which made from Sabres or Bayonets.

While not as pretty of some of the Facon I've seen, I aim to make it a user. I might do a pretty one later on if this one stands up to use.

Sheath is a work in progress:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210502-125150_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210502-125150_Chrome.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220313_061408.jpg
    20220313_061408.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 19
I've been looking for a real bayonet from I believe WW1.
The blade is around 18 inches long. The only one I've found thats not a replica the guy wanted close to $400 bucks for it.
While I might pay that If I knew for certain it was a real one I'm not about to take that chance when it comes from some guy on the internet.

The blade is around 18 inches long. The only one I've found thats not a replica the guy wanted close to $400 bucks for it.
While I might pay that If I knew for certain it was a real one I'm not about to take that chance when it comes from some guy on the internet.
British as well as some American and early French can go for a pretty penny but the German K98 are common as hell so can be had cheap.

I chose the K98 because it could be had so cheaply and because it ls so common, that means for this project I'm not destroying a piece of history.

There is a bar in Talmoon MN called Hayslip's Corner, they have all sorts of interesting things on the wall. One of those interesting pieces is an Anti-Tank Bayonet. It is a big heavy bayonet mounted to a decorative plaque - the blade tip is bent back toward the handle from all the years of use it saw.

got one - got it BARGAIN priced at a garage sale >> $5

I got my hand on it literally 5 seconds before the guy next to me - followed me around the neighborhood trying to buy it - thought I was a chump at first and would sell cheap - then he got pizzed that he got beat out ...

20 1/2" blade - even has the leather and steel scabbard in perfect issue condition - if you can trace it I'd be interested in any history - Mfg Simpon & Company in Suhl - serial #21224

There is a bar in Talmoon MN called Hayslip's Corner, they have all sorts of interesting things on the wall. One of those interesting pieces is an Anti-Tank Bayonet. It is a big heavy bayonet mounted to a decorative plaque - the blade tip is bent back toward the handle from all the years of use it saw.

A old solid iron hay spear is cheaper (the one below is a less substantial new model). Mount it on the front of your dually truck, and voila! Tank bayonet.

1654535828577.png

The trick is getting close enough to use it! LOL

A old solid iron hay spear is cheaper (the one below is a less substantial new model). Mount it on the front of your dually truck, and voila! Tank bayonet.
The trick is getting close enough to use it! LOL
Thank you for reminding me... I took a picture like I said I would but forgot to post it. Here is the anti-tank bayonet...
anti-tank bayonet.jpg

If you find another I'd appreciate a heads up.
And I dont mind if you make a few bucks on the transaction.
You're being serious... ok.

I will keep my eyes open for one that hasn't been heated with a torch for humor. I can keep my eyes open for a similar looking one, but knowing the make model would be useful (forgive me if you posted that elsewhere) because I have no idea what is screwed to that plaque. If I know what it is that you are looking for, I will ask a friend tomorrow (the only knife collector I know).

You're being serious... ok.

I will keep my eyes open for one that hasn't been heated with a torch for humor. I can keep my eyes open for a similar looking one, but knowing the make model would be useful (forgive me if you posted that elsewhere) because I have no idea what is screwed to that plaque. If I know what it is that you are looking for, I will ask a friend tomorrow (the only knife collector I know).

My brother found one at a farm auction years ago.
It was around 16 to 18 inches long with the bayonet lug. I'd give you more info But I refuse to speak to my asshole brother.
If I had to guess he owes the Wife and I around 30k....

I have several bayonets in my knife collection.

I found a beat-up, abused bayonet from WWII that fits my M1 Garand. I took it to the gunsmith's, and I had him Cerakote it in flat, non-reflective black, and I had him sharpen it professionally. It came out nice, although I still need a sheath for it.

I believe in bayonets for SHTF, as it seems--to me, at least--that it would be a great weapon retention tool against a gun grab.

I also have a beat-up, vintage M6 bayonet for my Springfield Armory M1A. I had the gunsmith switch the commercial flash hider with a GI version that has the bayonet lug.

For my AR-15, I have three bayonets. One is the M7, another in a cheap knockoff of the M9 bayonet that's made out of inferior steel, and I have the modern OKC version that looks like an 8 inch combat knife.

I was disappointed with the OKC knife, as the ring wouldn't fit over the flash suppressor, so I widened the opening with a Dremmel tool and touched up the metal inside with a Q tip and black grill paint.

I believe in bayonets because they can be used as a knife (and knives are always useful), and they help keep an opponent from taking your rifle away.

Also, there is something very primal about a person with a bayonet-equipped rifle . . something that is very terrifying in and of itself. If I can psyche someone out before a conflict even begins . . . then so much the better.

People seem to discount the bayonet today . . . so I'll suggest an idea that's relevant.

It's a known fact that women will resist a rapist armed with a gun far more often than they resist a rapist armed with a knife, as a knife can be more terrifying than a gun.

I do plan on aquiring a legit M9 bayonet from OKC knives in the near future, as my knock-off sucks.

I have several bayonets in my knife collection.

I found a beat-up, abused bayonet from WWII that fits my M1 Garand. I took it to the gunsmith's, and I had him Cerakote it in flat, non-reflective black, and I had him sharpen it professionally. It came out nice, although I still need a sheath for it.

I believe in bayonets for SHTF, as it seems--to me, at least--that it would be a great weapon retention tool against a gun grab.

I also have a beat-up, vintage M6 bayonet for my Springfield Armory M1A. I had the gunsmith switch the commercial flash hider with a GI version that has the bayonet lug.

For my AR-15, I have three bayonets. One is the M7, another in a cheap knockoff of the M9 bayonet that's made out of inferior steel, and I have the modern OKC version that looks like an 8 inch combat knife.

I was disappointed with the OKC knife, as the ring wouldn't fit over the flash suppressor, so I widened the opening with a Dremmel tool and touched up the metal inside with a Q tip and black grill paint.

I believe in bayonets because they can be used as a knife (and knives are always useful), and they help keep an opponent from taking your rifle away.

Also, there is something very primal about a person with a bayonet-equipped rifle . . something that is very terrifying in and of itself. If I can psyche someone out before a conflict even begins . . . then so much the better.

People seem to discount the bayonet today . . . so I'll suggest an idea that's relevant.

It's a known fact that women will resist a rapist armed with a gun far more often than they resist a rapist armed with a knife, as a knife can be more terrifying than a gun.

I do plan on aquiring a legit M9 bayonet from OKC knives in the near future, as my knock-off sucks.

In polls that I have read In the distant past, people would rather be shot than cut.

Latest posts

Back