Battery chain saws

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why I use an electric most of the time. My gas chainsaw is like this half the time, even when it was brand new...
iEyA45y.gif

Two stroke engines are about as simple as it gets, but they are sensitive to the mix you're using. Using non eth gas with an exact mix can help. If you run bad gas once, it can clog the fuel filter and the only fix is to replace it, which is an easy job. Always run it dry before you store it or the goo will build up in the fuel system. They're fun to work on and repair.

Two stroke engines are about as simple as it gets, but they are sensitive to the mix you're using. Using non eth gas with an exact mix can help.
I think the only thing mine is sensitive to is the phases of the moon. I ran non-eth, ran it dry, all that. Second time I used it - brand new - I got halfway through a log and it quit on me and wouldn't start again. Next time used it, it ran like a champ. I never know when it will work and when it won't.

I think the only thing mine is sensitive to is the phases of the moon. I ran non-eth, ran it dry, all that. Second time I used it - brand new - I got halfway through a log and it quit on me and wouldn't start again. Next time used it, it ran like a champ. I never know when it will work and when it won't.
Sounds like it may have some trash floating around inside the gas tank that got stuck on the fuel pickup line. Once it sat for a while the line inlet got unblocked so it ran fine afterward.

Sounds like it may have some trash floating around inside the gas tank that got stuck on the fuel pickup line. Once it sat for a while the line inlet got unblocked so it ran fine afterward.

Brand new when the problem started. The gas tank was clean as a whistle. Brand new gas can. Filtered non Eth fuel.

I have a battery operated pole chain saw that has seen extensive use. As long as you keep the chain sharp, it cuts really well. I do have problems with the chain jumping off track sometimes. I have three batteries, but rarely need to change batteries. Not only is it good for cutting limbs up high, it's also good for reaching way into a bunch of branches to cut branches out of the way when you are cutting up a tree, or any other time when getting to something to cut it is awkward.
I also have a plug in electric chain saw that I've had for decades which I use around the house. I've worn out one chain on it and replaced it. When I don't feel like fiddling with the Poulan, I use it. I've run it out in the woods off of an inverter hooked up to a car battery. If it ever dies I will replace it with a battery chain saw same brand as the battery pole saw so I can share batteries.
And I have a Poulan, which my tree guy calls a pullin' cause you pull and pull and pull on the starter rope. Some times it works, some times it doesn't. I only get it out when I have a REALLY BIG job.
Poulan is part of the Husqvarna group, but thats where the similarities end. Poulan is a cheap consumer saw sold at big box stores. And I think are made in China. I prefer the Husky, Stihl, or Dolmar saws.

It's one thing for a leaf blower or weed eater to be acting up. Chain saws are dangerous. I wouldn't use one if it didn't work right. Might be worth a trip to a repair shop.

Update: That $100 battery chainsaw burnt out. So did the one my dad had. These use cheap brush motors that work hard at first, but are in no way rated for the task they've been given. I am hoping to find a good brushless motor and build a driver for it so it actually lasts a while, but if that fails, it might end up with a nitromethane RC motor (when I get time).

Latest posts

Back