Basic food storage. What to buy and not to buy.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut butter survives well in my opinion. It has protein and you can also cook with it if you desire. I know that peanut butter survives well because I have put it in mouse traps and forgotten about it for years and come back to it to find it still looking pretty tasty.

Got to ask, did you taste test? :rolleyes:😋 LOL

Got to ask, did you taste test? :rolleyes:😋 LOL

One of my younger siblings did. . . He would eat peanut butter for every meal every day at that age, and when he saw some in a mouse trap (which fortunately for his little fingers had already been set off - without a mouse in it!) he ate it. . . according to him it tasted normal. But he also ate all kinds of weird things at that age. I think he was about 4 or 5.
I have peanut butter powder that is supposed to last about 10 years in my storage. My little sister who has numerous dietary restrictions due to Celiac disease and other conditions eats a lot of peanut butter so I have it for her. It's not as good as the real thing but it is edible.

We're using peanut butter that expired 2 years ago. I can't see any difference in taste, texture, or smell. We go through alot of peanut butter in our house, it's a quick go to. And I buy it by the case when it's on sale. I like to keep 6 cases stocked at all times. The powdered peanut butter (just add water) is pretty tasty. And it comes in flavors, like chocolate. It is available all over the stores, even our Sams Club carries it. It still only has a mediocre shelf life, that I believe should be longer. I know it contains some oils, but I believe it's longer than what is stated.

When I need a between meal snack, I get a spoonful of Jif.

Eh???? Jif is kitchen cleaner

download.jpg

It still only has a mediocre shelf life, that I believe should be longer.
We have used up to 6 year old peanut butter with no problems, there is so little water content in peanut butter and honey that they actually can be stored almost forever in cool and dry conditions...GP

I am definitely buying and storing more food. I don't have a lot of money to waste so I am looking for longer shelf life. I did a few research for canning food for longevity, which I will try perhaps later. Im a shitty cook so the idea still intimidates me. I know not to buy acidic food thus, they spoil faster.

These are on my list.
  1. rice- bag, individual package
  2. SPAM!!
  3. Jerky
  4. Ramen noodles
  5. Oil. for cooking
  6. Salt (iodize), some spices.
  7. powdered milk or eggs. ***Still undecided about this***
  8. Pasta, a few boxes or so
  9. flour, sugar, baking powder.
  10. energy bars (cliff, naked, nature valley)
Couldn't thing anything else. Please let me know if there are things I need to add or subtract. Anything is appreciated.

Also, not sure if it is worth signing up for Costco to buy in greater bulk.

My place has a small kitchen cabinets. not ideal for stocking up long term. But, I found this second hand shelf from a close out deal. Not the prettiest, but its durable and fits in my apartment. I think it's good place for storing hygiene products, water and my other camping stuff .
View attachment 10318

Thanks for all the help!!
Oats. individual package.

We have used up to 6 year old peanut butter with no problems, there is so little water content in peanut butter and honey that they actually can be stored almost forever in cool and dry conditions...GP
Honey was found in the pyramids and it was still edible. Again, not sure who would volunteer for that taste test 🧐

We had little storage so we made an old bookcase into a pantry like situation. Our son stained a piece of wood to match the bookcase and made a door. Look for ways around your apartment that can have two purposes. We had a bench in our bedroom to help me with getting dressed and I use the bench to store and stock up toiletries etc. We got an old chest as our coffee table and I put food in there as well. I have to have a special bed but before that I used old drawers from a chest I found on the side of the street and cleaned them up and painted them but I used them as storage under our bed. That worked great, I wish we could still do that but oh well. There are ways to get creative in regards to storage in smaller homes or apartments that don’t have to cost an arm and a leg. For the drawer storage we had our GRANDS help paint them. It was a great activity and they loved the idea of making something that we needed.

Latest posts

Back