Basic folding knives

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, the points do come in handy but I generally have my multi-tool and the old Old Timer with me for those kind of jobs not to mention my K-Bar or SRK if things got serious though in my situation I find about 80% of the time the drop points suits me for most of my field tasks ;)

I had owned and had nothing but top notch reliable service from Cold Steel Inc products mainly in the Voyager collection
My first Voyager was one of the early models with the moulded on pocket clip, it was a med voyager clip point, it was quickly joined by a med voyager tanto and a lsrge voyager tanto. I also had unbelievable service from a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter folding lock knife, you could cut open an Abhrams tank with one.

I wish they would do the mini bushman again it was such a useful bit of kit to have for workshop duty and to barter with.

A lot of the the folders I've seen tended to be partial serrated clip point, not very useful out in the field (away from the city and vehicle) since I use mainly use drop point blade but this picture from Roninsensei really looks appealing for a folder!
View attachment 4023
That looks like the 3rd or 4th gen Voyager to my old eyes.

I have stainless and carbon steel knives and like them both . But i have used both for decades and know their properties .

I have a few ss knifes in fact my favorite skinning knife is the 1st gen Gerber ss pro-guide #950 I purchased years ago (I am not a gerber fan not one bit a side from the multi-tools) though almost all my bush knifes are carbon steel. I have been a fan of cold steel since the 80s (all carbon steel) the #21TTL would be the first ss knife from CS

The AUS 8a steel is a high carbon stainless so its tough and flexible. It can rust eventually but, cleans easily.

Last edited:
One of my younger staff members whipped out a folding karambit yesterday at work to open up a box. She didn't know that it had a special name and does carry it for defensive purposes, but I just found it funny, her using such a wicked-looking knife for such a mundane task. I had never actually held one before, it sat firmly in the hand but I'm still not sure if that pinky ring is an advantage or a detriment. She thought it was weird enough that the blade style had its own name (I showed her my tanto for comparison) so I didn't inquire as to the brand or anything.

Latest posts

Back