Basement walls tested with hot sample. Pechblend

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolnor

Reaction score
Got my pechblend sample from Germany, its really hot! Its around 12000CPM close to the Geiger-tube. bakground radiation is ca 20CPM.
I tested my basement walls with the sample on the outside the wall and my Geiger on the inside and it was a disaster. They are 25cm thick but they let 22% of the radiation through. . If they where concrete they should only let 6% through. The reason is the walls are made of lighter stones, not concrete. So, I have to stack bricks or sacks of sand to make the walls OK. A dedicated shelter is made of at least 35cm concrete and lets only 1,5% of the fallout radiation through. The walls look like concrete but its only a thin layer of cement on the surface.
I am glad I got the pechblend sample! The government here give the advise to get down in the basement to protect from fallout but people generally dont know what the walls are made of in there cellar and its a false security. The clip is 30sec. so its around 10000-14000CPM.
Edit: Heureka! It seems as if they include beta-radiation when they calculate radiation shiekding from fallout. In that case my walls are OK, it seems to be concret after all. I only have lighter stones inside the basement, not in the outer walls. Now I dont have to build a sand-sack wall! The 50% shielding from pure gamma is ca13cm of concrete but from fallout radiation, wich is a mixture of gamma, beta, alpha its 7cm So my walls are OK! I read the table wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back