Bartering...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I intend to stay clean shaven (and cut off all hair on my head and elsewhere) post SHTF, as I don't like ticks, lice, and fleas.

If I get wounded in some way, hair increase the chance of infection if it becomes matted in the wound.

Also, it makes ringworm and other fungal infections easier to identify and manage.

Buy a Razor Man Razor blade sharpener for about $16.00 at Walmart.

It sharpens double and triple edged blades.

I usually only tend to use a blade about 3 times before I toss it.

I hate shaving with blunt razors.
What is your opinion of the Razor Man Razor blade sharpener? Have you used it?

What is your opinion of the Razor Man Razor blade sharpener? Have you used it?
I have, and it works reasonably well if you follow the instructions...but, ultimately, I discarded it only because I didn't think it worth the trouble when I buy disposable razors in bulk at the dollar store. I tend (because of my medical background) to think of razors as being "dirty sharps" after using them...but anyone who reads this should understand that I have certian biases that may more reflect my personal neuroses rather than reality.

Early in my EMS career (I was trained in the early years of the AIDS epidemic), we were indoctrinated to be wary of razor blades, and that Hepatitis C (formerly Non A/Non B hepatitis), AIDS, and so forth could be spread by razors. Much of this danger was grossly exaggerrated.

Even so, I cultivated the habit of discarding razors and blades after only a few uses.

I don't see using this sharpener more than five times before discarding the razor, but I could see this thing having a place in prepping.

My straight razor was like 30 bucks on Amazon. I shave my head with it, and get 4 or 5 shaves before I strop it. I give it a quick strop before every shave.

Yes, I have planed off some head skin, and gotten it to skip from a bad angle.

After a few times, it gets easier. Honestly, my double edge replaceable safety does a much easier job of it. Less nerve wracking.

I have little or no use for a straight razor...especially in an emergency (unless I use it as a weapon, and there are many more edged weapons that work better than a straight razor).

It's so easy to badly cut yourself...and you'll risk the injury just to shave? Complicating a bad situation?

Also, I tend to have a degree of motor clumsiness.

No, I'll avoid the straight razor...but that's me.

I intend to stay clean shaven (and cut off all hair on my head and elsewhere) post SHTF, as I don't like ticks, lice, and fleas.

If I get wounded in some way, hair increase the chance of infection if it becomes matted in the wound.

Also, it makes ringworm and other fungal infections easier to identify and manage.

Kevin you can't go through a shtf if you medically analyze every action or choices you take, learn the old ways! many plants in the wild like here on the west coast we have what's called a soaproot the same group as Amole, use it on clothes hair and skin, treat your hair once a week with ash, kills and keeps bugs out your hair and wash it everyday with amole. There are going to be a time when shaving your head isn't possible ;)

Kevin you can't go through a shtf if you medically analyze every action or choices you take, learn the old ways! many plants in the wild like here on the west coast we have what's called a soaproot the same group as Amole, use it on clothes hair and skin, treat your hair once a week with ash, kills and keeps bugs out your hair and wash it everyday with amole. There are going to be a time when shaving your head isn't possible ;)
Thank you.

I tend to be an analytical person, and I do think about things a lot...but I also believe a lot of people don't think enough (Chicago's garanteed income is an example).

I tend to have issues with 'the old ways' when it comes to certian things...but I agree that there are things that shouldn't be forgotten.

I like the idea of using soaproot. I wish I could find a pedal powered sewing machine that can stitch leather, and I would take classes on how to sew leather clothing from scratch.

I have also been training myself on how to use an abacus, and I'm also trying to get the intricacies of a good slide rule down.

A lot of the old ways is making a comeback in modern medicine like using sugar to keep the wound clean and help with healing, I use sugar and honey depending on the wound, I swear by sugar, the Romans were very successful in the use of sugar after battles.
I'm sure, but honey is better...especially for burns.

There is one narrow skill that I'd love to learn.

There was an anthropologist who was studying mummies from an obscure part of Egypt that borders Ethiopia, and made an interesting discovery.

These ancient Egyptians used tetracycline! And in large amounts!

Evidentally, they brewed a kind of beer by burying it in eartheware containers, letting it ferment, and the beer had huge amounts of tetracycline in it.

They used this beer to (successfully) treat childbed fever, pneumonia, UTIs, all kinds of things.

And they did it with stone age technology.

See www.emory.edu

My straight razor was like 30 bucks on Amazon. I shave my head with it, and get 4 or 5 shaves before I strop it. I give it a quick strop before every shave.

Yes, I have planed off some head skin, and gotten it to skip from a bad angle.

After a few times, it gets easier. Honestly, my double edge replaceable safety does a much easier job of it. Less nerve wracking.
I would guess it is the process of intense concentration that people like. You can't be thinking of what you plan to do at work that day and shave with a straight razor at the same time.

I always wondered if the Native American women of old days used bear grease in their hair to prevent lice. I would think that lice would not like it much and it would smother them.

I would guess it is the process of intense concentration that people like. You can't be thinking of what you plan to do at work that day and shave with a straight razor at the same time.
I never got the hang of it, even when giving it my full attention. But then, I have problems with razors anyhow. I have to use an electric. If it comes down to using a razor or not shaving, I'll stop shaving. Hell, I've already started sporting that "fashionable" stubble look most of the time anyhow. :)

I always wondered if the Native American women of old days used bear grease in their hair to prevent lice. I would think that lice would not like it much and it would smother them.

Roots of puccoon, wild angelica and bear oil mixed and they rubbed in including the hair.

I went through my 1st aid supplies the other day.in which,some of it is from my mothers hospital stays.i figure,some of that stuff.if not most of it.i'll never use.those items will make great barder items.righy along with the 17 twin blade rozors i came across. And thanks to my mom..im also loaded for bear,when it comes to candle sticks. I consider each one a keeper.but yet im keeping a open mind on them.on account they'd be great for trade,to get something i need.

I went through my 1st aid supplies the other day.in which,some of it is from my mothers hospital stays.i figure,some of that stuff.if not most of it.i'll never use.those items will make great barder items.righy along with the 17 twin blade rozors i came across. And thanks to my mom..im also loaded for bear,when it comes to candle sticks. I consider each one a keeper.but yet im keeping a open mind on them.on account they'd be great for trade,to get something i need.
Yep, I have tons of insulin needles, I am not diabetic, but they may come in handy for something sometime. Plus a lot of dressing supplies from a relative that passed.

Latest posts

Back