Bartering...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use old school safety razors to shave mostly, but have a replaceable blade straight, and a straight and strop. I feel like I was lied to on the disposables I used them into my mid thirties. Then discovered that the old safety razors are cheaper, and work really well.

I would think that razor blades for safety razors would be a great barter item. Disposables? Maybe.

I actually did some bartering recently. A workshop where I can work on the travel trailer here in Madison runs 600 bucks. I traded some medicinal plants and some cleanup labor to get 2 years rent. That includes power and water hookups. So it cost me, well, almost nothing but a few days work and almost no risk. Lifelong friends and fellow preppers, though.
The hard part of bartering for me is storage. Once we move into the trailer, it's gonna be pretty tight.

Have a question. I read that disposable razors are a good bartering item. But for home use, wouldn't an old fashioned straight razor and strop be the way to go? What do you all think?
I will never shave with a straight razor.

I did see (in Boyscouts, when I was kid) a gentleman give himself a very good shave with a piece of flint that was heated in a fire before it was chipped. He did it on a bet.

And collected.

I will never shave with a straight razor.
LOL! I tried one time. I have a couple of straight razors handed down from great great granddads. I don't think I got them sharp enough or something because it was like pulling the whiskers out of my face. And yes I did have a proper razor strop and razor hones (lost the strop somewhere along the way though)

LOL! I tried one time. I have a couple of straight razors handed down from great great granddads. I don't think I got them sharp enough or something because it was like pulling the whiskers out of my face. And yes I did have a proper razor strop and razor hones (lost the strop somewhere along the way though)
I had a son in law once that always used one. He also participated in many civil war reenactments. said he wouldn't use anything else and nothing works as good. It would be a painful learning curve. LOL

If you clean and dry a safety razor after every use it will last you many months of daily use, even up to a year. Even the cheapest ones have lasted me. Its definatly one prepp I keep stocked up on for bartering.
Do you mean rinse it with clear water and pat it down with a towel, or?

I use a straight razor, been using them for 40 years, I got more nicks with the safety razor than a straight razor.
I have a strop and strop dressing, just not a razor. Would you recommend a new purchase or find a good antique one? (The new ones lowest price at lehmans nonelectric is 129.00, that seems like an awful lot, I know I can find an old one for much less.) Not an especially collectible one but one that is good usable. I wonder if the older metal was better to keep an edge. And where should one go to find out how to use it, I don't want to cut an artery.

I have a strop and strop dressing, just not a razor. Would you recommend a new purchase or find a good antique one? (The new ones lowest price at lehmans nonelectric is 129.00, that seems like an awful lot, I know I can find an old one for much less.) Not an especially collectible one but one that is good usable. I wonder if the older metal was better to keep an edge. And where should one go to find out how to use it, I don't want to cut an artery.

I use an old bel-smith sheffield and anchor brand, If I have to purchase again I'll probably get an sheffield, today they run about $200. Grandkids got me a dovo but haven't used it yet. New one's today have replaceable blades.

I use an old bel-smith sheffield and anchor brand, If I have to purchase again I'll probably get an sheffield, today they run about $200. Grandkids got me a dovo but haven't used it yet. New one's today have replaceable blades.
One more thing poor me cant afford. I will hunt for a used one somewhere and maybe I will get lucky.

I haven't been clean shaved since i don't know when.i first grew my beard at age 17.and I've used electric trimer to trim my beard back,i guess less then 20 times since then.so any razor i buy,will be used for barter n trade only.i do need to get at using sizzors thoe.on account who knows.when it comes to electricity.

Have a question. I read that disposable razors are a good bartering item. But for home use, wouldn't an old fashioned straight razor and strop be the way to go? What do you all think?
Buy a Razor Man Razor blade sharpener for about $16.00 at Walmart.

It sharpens double and triple edged blades.

I usually only tend to use a blade about 3 times before I toss it.

I hate shaving with blunt razors.

Latest posts

Back