Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only keep a few K cash on hand for emergencies and my cash investments in savings and bonds equal my short term loans owed, so I can pay them off if runaway inflation starts. I mostly have property, precious metals and tangable goods.

Cash money can become much more worthless than toilet paper and I have plenty of that, so I dont need much cash money. All cash money is just a promisary note from a government that cant be trusted.

Last edited:
It was interesting to read that electronic money transfers were preferred in urban areas while in more rural places it was food. It also shows that long term, the necessities are beneficial. I read somewhere that early on in Argentina and in the former Yugoslavia that precious metals were used to trade but deeper into a crisis food, hygiene products and medicine are more valuable.

Makes sense. When the crisis still seems temporary, precious metals are still considered money. But, as it goes on, folks can't eat gold and silver, or cure their ailments with it. The hygiene products always got me in these real world stories, as folks never really think to stock these for emergencies (we do).

So do we. Not the fancy shower gels or up market cleaning products, but soap, bleach, basic shampoo, toothpaste and generic disinfectant. I've also recently started storing Carbolic Soap and houshold soap for house cleaning and laundry. I also store plenty of Bicarbonate of Soda, Citric Acid crystals and Washing Soda. Things that store long term and take up little packaging or room.

So do we. Not the fancy shower gels or up market cleaning products, but soap, bleach, basic shampoo, toothpaste and generic disinfectant. I've also recently started storing Carbolic Soap and houshold soap for house cleaning and laundry. I also store plenty of Bicarbonate of Soda, Citric Acid crystals and Washing Soda. Things that store long term and take up little packaging or room.

Sally, why citric acid crystals? Thanks

I bought 7 tubes of toothpaste a few weeks ago at 49 cents each, big tubes too. I had plenty already but what the heck, ya know. My family thinks it's a little crazy. Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. Lots of cleaning can be done with plain water or add a little vinegar. I use less and less all the time. I also have bars of laundry soap and washing soda and borax. what are you using the citric acid crystals for? Do they have a shelf life?

I remember a discussion with a man who is long gone now but he was telling me how during the depression he had some river nets and he used them to catch fish on the river and sell or barter with them. Nets would be a good investment I think. I need to get some, or fish traps or something.

I make toothpaste with extra virgin coconut oil, baking soda and peppermint oil.

I have an egg customer who works at a distribution center that handles lots of cleaning products. Sometimes he gives my boxes of soaps, shampoos, body gels etc. My favorite is cases of alcohol and peroxide. I need more peroxide. It is a wonderful product. So versatile.

knowing what a plant is, where it grows and how its used are good things to know, most people don't know what a plant is unless its wrapped in cellophane in the supermarket.

I have a book of native edible plants. I have a copy in my BOB in case I ever do
Citric acid can be used instead of vinegar for things like softening calcium deposits in coffee pots, cleaning brass, etc. Doesn't leave the hard to wash out vinegar taste.

It is also used in canning to lower pH.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

knowing what a plant is, where it grows and how its used are good things to know, most people don't know what a plant is unless its wrapped in cellophane in the supermarket.
AND have a label. LOL had a tree cutter at my house once warning me about the poison ivy, I told him it wasn't poison ivy it was virginia creeper. LOL, some expert.

Latest posts

Back