Barn or outbuilding heater suggestions.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As hot air rises, may I suggest you mount a reversing ceiling fan at your highest point, to circulate the upper warm air back toward the ground.
Reverse it for summer cooling.

According to Mr. Heater's website (the manufacturer) the Big Buddy heats up to 450 sq ft at 18,000 BTU (max setting). So a 20x20 space is just under the max space that a Big Buddy can heat.
The Portable Buddy (single burner) heats up to 225 sq ft (exactly half the Big Buddy) at 9,000 BTU.
The Big Buddy has three settings, 4,000 (one burner), 9,000 (one burner), and 18,000 BTU (two burner).

According to Mr. Heater's website (the manufacturer) the Big Buddy heats up to 450 sq ft at 18,000 BTU (max setting). So a 20x20 space is just under the max space that a Big Buddy can heat.
The Portable Buddy (single burner) heats up to 225 sq ft (exactly half the Big Buddy) at 9,000 BTU.
The Big Buddy has three settings, 4,000 (one burner), 9,000 (one burner), and 18,000 BTU (two burner).

the man is heating a barn to work in - not his living space >> doubt he needs or wants to waste a degree over what's absolutely necessary ....

Guys, Guys, Guys, actually with everyones input I have made a decision on what type.
I liked the Mr Heaters because I could use them elsewhere in an emergency. But I already have the furnace and Genset hooked to the big propane tank, so the house is taken care of.
I liked the Mr Heater cabinet with the 20lb Tank. I could roll it to where I need it.
My primary goal is to heat the area where I am working. The shop area, a stall where I am going to try painting some doors.
2FBCE6FC-D9AB-4462-974E-131E8B925D43.jpeg
A secondary goal is heating a large stall that has 4 5x10 dog runs.
D40647D5-5635-4F08-B414-3AD101C58778.jpeg
Because of this, I have decided to go the Patio Heater route. I can put in the common area and it covers all directions for at least half the runs. And my wife can have a patio heater the rest of the year.
Thanks for your help

Sounds like a good plan! I left a small electric heater going in one of the milkhouse rooms last night, it got down to 9 degrees. Also always leave two heat lamps on all the time. This was plenty warm for the month old french guineas. And the dogs bedtime kennels are in that room, too, and I'm sure they didn't mind. Seemed to keep the room in the 50's. Didn't heat the other room where the rabbits are, but they don't seem to mind. They are bedded down in straw. The barn cats have a small opening to get down into the old basement, and it doesn't freeze down there.

I don't think I'd enjoy 8 degrees, but it was in the 80's here today...not what I'd call Christmas weather!

Latest posts

Back