Bare Bone Bag (City Get Home Bag)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I always am in the small city and don't need a large GHB what do you think of this basic version for a car.

· Laptop bag
· Map
· Water Bottle
· Purification pill/drops
· Ration bars
· Folding knife or Combat knife
· Basic first aid kit
· Small Flashlight
· Lighter
· Survival whistle w/ compass
· Emergency blanket
· Emergency poncho
· Paracord Bracelet
· Small AM/FM radio
· Binoculars
· Moleskine Reporter Notebooks

I would recommend changing the AM/FM radio to one of the hand crank models, that also has a flashlight and cell phone charger on it. Still small.

Add a spare pair of socks, and some windproof/waterproof matches (should always have more than one way to make fire), and a writing implement for the notebooks, and I think you're good to go.

If you don't smoke, add a pack of cigarettes, as you could likely use these for trading purposes, if needed.

i have a eton am/fm/and 7 weather frequency band radio..it also has a flashlight.pluss it has a hand crank and solar panel for rechargeing.and recently i got a power cord for it.so i can plug it into a electric out let or usb port for rechargeing.it also has a usb port for rechargeing cell phones.it's small and light whight..you'll need a hard carrying case if you decide to go with some thing like that...this way.none of the bottons will get pushed by mistake...and maybe a small bolt cutter for any metals that needs cutting..like chain link fenceing...

Since I always am in the small city and don't need a large GHB what do you think of this basic version for a car.

· Laptop bag
· Map
· Water Bottle
· Purification pill/drops
· Ration bars
· Folding knife or Combat knife
· Basic first aid kit
· Small Flashlight
· Lighter
· Survival whistle w/ compass
· Emergency blanket
· Emergency poncho
· Paracord Bracelet
· Small AM/FM radio
· Binoculars
· Moleskine Reporter Notebooks

I am a traveling nurse so I too have a GHB...for me though, I am often a couple hundred miles from home so in addition to the GHB, I have a Topo map, food, clothing, and my bike with me!
A few recommendations I would make: Imodium (dehydration from diarrhea, kills people every day) and Ibuprofen, moleskin for blisters, duct tape (great for closing wounds and a plethora of other uses), a small bottle of bug spray, I'd toss the water bottle and water purification tabs and opt for a Water Bottle with the filter made in it. Berkey has one that is about $18. I've had one for years, use it hiking, etc. and then you don't have to suffer with the iodine taste of the purification tablets. :eek: Also, I'd have an extra pair of socks, gloves, hat, and comfortable hiking/running shoes. I didn't notice a weapon on your list either...at the very least stash yourself a stellar pocket knife.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

He listed a combat knife...but the wire cutter comment above reminded me of the other thing I'd recommend....a multi-tool (a good one).

yeah..and if the multi tool can cut chain link fence..then mini bolt cutter can be used on the tougher jobs..

I am a traveling nurse so I too have a GHB...for me though, I am often a couple hundred miles from home so in addition to the GHB, I have a Topo map, food, clothing, and my bike with me!

A few recommendations I would make: Imodium (dehydration from diarrhea, kills people every day) and Ibuprofen, moleskin for blisters, duct tape (great for closing wounds and a plethora of other uses), a small bottle of bug spray, I'd toss the water bottle and water purification tabs and opt for a Water Bottle with the filter made in it. Berkey has one that is about $18. I've had one for years, use it hiking, etc. and then you don't have to suffer with the iodine taste of the purification tablets. Also, I'd have an extra pair of socks, gloves, hat, and comfortable hiking/running shoes. I didn't notice a weapon on your list either...at the very least stash yourself a stellar pocket knife.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Blessings,

Shenandoah

He listed a combat knife...but the wire cutter comment above reminded me of the other thing I'd recommend....a multi-tool (a good one).

Gazrok, I always carry a Leatherman Skeletool® CX on me. And Shenandoah since I might be walking or driving down the street to get home from work which is 2-3 miles away I don't need that much stuff. But if I build a traveling GHB I will keep it in mind.

Last edited:
Y'all's multitools can cut through a chain link fence? Damn, I'm buying the wrong multitools I guess. Has this been tested, or is it theory? Curious because now that it's mentioned I'm thinking that I might need a solution for fences. I can very easily scale most fences and walls thanks to my parkour training but if I'm injured or carrying a lot it'd be a lot simpler to be able to go through a fence instead of over it. Bolt cutters are heavy; a powerful multitool is not.

i have a mini bolt cutter..and they barely open up enough to cut chainlink/barbedwire fences..and as for my multiplier tool.im not sure if they will or not,on account i never tryed with them

Y'all's multitools can cut through a chain link fence? Damn, I'm buying the wrong multitools I guess. Has this been tested, or is it theory?

Depends on the fence and the multitool. I'm not talking about cutting a line in the fence, but more where it attaches to a post (if not in a frame). Also, you don't have to cut too much to fit through. I've used mine for minor fence repairs in the past, where it has been able to cut the chain link. The part under the head of the pliers. I wouldn't recommend using it a lot though, or it will loosen the pliers.

i have a mini bolt cutter..and they barely open up enough to cut chainlink/barbedwire fences..and as for my multiplier tool.im not sure if they will or not,on account i never tryed with them

I carry a large bolt-cutter in the truck. I figure I'd go more for the padlock on a gate, vs. trying to cut a fence, in a SHTF situation. I also keep a length of chain and a sturdy padlock in the truck, because if I ever have to abandon it in a SHTF situation, I don't want someone trying to drive off in it!

Latest posts

Back