Baofeng Radios

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all the great info.
My goal is to get roughly 7-9 miles over flat terrain but with some trees in between.
I'd prefer not to use a repeater as I am just prepping for a SHTF scenario to ensure I can reach my family and vice versa.
I do have the capability of putting up a 50' tower on my property, but then need to get coax from the antenna to my home, approx. 100'. Not sure if that's reasonable.

I also do not mind having to buy a base station for at least 1 end if necessary.
GMRS, and for a coax run that long at VHF/UHF get yourself some LMR400 Flex. Great low loss coax at that freq. range.

Looking for recommendations for my situation. 20 acre property- basically 3 ridges
House ridge at 1800ft elevation
First valley 1750
2nd Ridge 1850 line of sight to house.
2nd valley 1775 no line of sight
3rd Ridge 1900 top corner is line of sight
My goal is to talk to the wife in the house @1800 from the 1775 valley with that 1850 ridge in between. I normally don’t take the SXS so if a handheld will work…..

Guys, just get your GMRS license. $35, no test, good for 10 years. Can use 50 watt mobiles and put up repeaters. The influx of preppers to ham radio has just made the LID quotient explode. I'm a ham, but also on GMRS. 50 watt base rig and a bunch of 5 watt handhelds (I recommend the Radioddity GM-30 for HT's) and you're sh*tt*ng in the high cotton.
Is this a good price for the handhelds you mention?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194863894544
Also, are these programmable? I do have Chirp software if that works (I just have to learn how to use it).

Yes and No as to programming. (Translation: Sometimes)

You have to really push the patch cord into the radio.
Over the years I purchased 3 different brand cords. Same problem.

I just learned to hand program it.
I don't know what model you will buy, but our group relies on the basic UV-5R.

I located a PDF of the instructions and use it.
What they send you is designed for a Midget near- sighted Chinaman.

2 Pack; UV5R (5 Watt) $48 @ Amazon

This is the Manual: (It appears the manual also cover the 8 watter)
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/904463/Baofeng-Uv-5r.html?page=12#manual

Last edited:
With VHF and UHF what is more effective than power or antennas is elevation. I use my HT to talk into a repeater 15 miles away. That works because the repeater is 1500 feet above where my HT is. A 8 watt HT will only drain the battery faster, not give you more range. VHF and UHF propergation is different that CB radio. de KA5SIW

Those antennas offer little if any benefit over the supplied rubber duck antenna. Ive tried a few. The Nagoya antennas do absolutely nothing for a boafeng.
I am far from an expert so take this as only my experience. When I changed out my Baofengs with the whip antenna, I did get a further distance.

I am far from an expert so take this as only my experience. When I changed out my Baofengs with the whip antenna, I did get a further distance.
Im glad to hear someone had success with a different attached antenna. A friend and I tried the stock antenna and two others for the better part of a day in different wooded areas with hills and found that in most cases the stock antenna performed noticeably better. Sounds like I have more antennas to try.

I'm trying to communicate between two Baofengs UV-5R one is a 5 watt the other is an 8 watt. The range between them is 55km or 34miles what is the best option for doing this? The terrain is mainly flat with slight elevation in the middle of 30m or 98ft there is no major hills. Thanks for the help in advance.

You will have to see if they each can hit a repeater. That is the only way.
You may have to get better antennas.

I do not know your radio experience so I will assume none.

I suggest you contact the local ARC (Amateur Radio Club).

Tell them your radio locations, see if there is a public repeater between them.
Then use their frequency to listen in. If you can hear them you probably can send to them.
If both can hear well, then program the radios for the repeater and try in real life.

Be aware that both of you will need a Technician class HAM license assuming you are using a HAM repeater.

If the above fails you will probably have to go to base stations with more wattage power and real antennas to hit any repeater within 60 miles or so. 34 miles is a long way to go radio to radio on 2 meter handheld radios.

Last edited:
You will have to see if they each can hit a repeater. That is the only way.
You may have to get better antennas.

I do not know your radio experience so I will assume none.

I suggest you contact the local ARC (Amateur Radio Club).

Tell them your radio locations, see if there is a public repeater between them.
Then use their frequency to listen in. If you can hear them you probably can send to them.
If both can hear well, then program the radios for the repeater and try in real life.

Be aware that both of you will need a Technician class HAM license assuming you are using a HAM repeater.

If the above fails you will probably have to go to base stations with more wattage power and real antennas to hit any repeater within 60 miles or so. 34 miles is a long way to go radio to radio on 2 meter handheld radios.
I was kinda hoping a repeater would work this way i have backup radios.

This has been a great thread. And there is some REALLY useful information here. I am a licensed HAM and was radio comms in the Army, many years ago. Here is MY setup for when we NEED comms.

Near the center of the property are TWO antennas. One for 2M (45W) and One for 70cm (440 band @ 35W). Both tie into a mobile Kenwood TM-721A. This radio has been modified for 'Crossband repeating'. The Boafengs are configured to monitor both of the frequencies on this radio. Most everyone transmits on the 440 frequency and listens on the 2M frequency. When we have hosted a field day event, here on the farm, we use this same setup as control for the group spread across 60+ acres.

Both antennas are on trees, about 30 feet above ground-level. One is a home-brew J-Pole and the 440 antenna is a Hustler.

Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
Store bought ham antennas are going to take a lot of tuning to work to work on unlicensed FRS/GMRS or GMRS frequencies (assuming your going to be using FRS/GMRS and/or MURS frequencies for now).

Unless your all thumbs, building your own is going to just as easy and a whole lot cheaper. And if you screw up, you only screw up a piece of wire, not an expensive store bought antenna.

If your looking for an antenna to put on the roof or hang in a tree you can google "ground plane antenna", "dual band J-pole antenna" and "homebrew 2m/70cm antenna" ...etc and find something that will work for you.

I've built many, many antennas for Baofengs that are tuned to FRS/GMRS channel 3 and a few dual banders that also work on MURS ch3. If you want to go that route I'm sure any crusty old ham, including myself, can steer you in the right direction.

P.S. there's a prepper radio net that might(?) be in your area "Lake Co, McHenery Co/ Kenosha & Racine Co" every Thursday night at 9pm local. If you can get in touch with those guys I'm sure they can get your antenna issues sorted out. They're on a repeater at 145.410(-) pl 114.8 you can't transmit without a license but you can listen for their contact info.

Can anyone give me advice on getting an antenna for a pair of Baefeng radios? I have the UV-5R+ 8/4/1W radios.
I can get up to 3 miles with no problem, but would like to get 10 miles. Is there any external antenna I could get for these that would give me that 10 mile+ distance?
(I recognize we need an amateur license to transmit with them).

I just got an Amazon update--mine should be waiting for me when I get home. My plan, since I'm currently renting, is to make a stealth "flower pot dipole" antenna for it.

Or perhaps a normal dipole antenna:
Either one should be cheap and easy to build. I also lack a power meter for the antenna, but from what I understand, if you take careful measurements you can build something close enough, to really enhance performance over the crappy one that's installed. Let us know how your radio performs. As I said, I've not even seen mine yet. Going to mess around with it over the weekend. If it works, I'd like to buy another for 2-way comm.

Latest posts

Back